Where is the 12V ground in a Parkliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Name: Greg(lee) and katie
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
Where is the 12V ground in a Parkliner

Hi all! I thought I would add a 12V marine plug under the side dinette so that I can operate my TV on a 12v dc through an ac inverter. I found the extra fuse black wire out the rear of the power center so I have the + side so where do all the - wires connect? I assume there is a buss bar somewhere probably connected to the frame and - side of the battery.. Am I correct? ( I saw the 120v ac busses in the panel).

Thanks for your help.

Lee
wandererlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Lee

I don't have a clue about how Parkliners are wired but Casita trailers just have a white 10 gauge wire that starts at the 7 pin plug and continues to the furthest point of the trailer and all the NEGATIVE wires are attached to it with 3M Scotch Lock connectors.

There is also a frame ground connected to the batter negative post for some code requirement.

this question was brought up within the last month on a casita forum.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I don't know if I am doing mine the best way, so if I am not, hopefully someone will correct me.
On the Scamp 16* there is a power converter under the drivers side dinette seat (and in my trailer also a Progressive Industries EMS now).
The converter is plugged in the back of the power distribution center** (or PDC, the thing with the breakers and fuses) which is near the floor under the driver's side cabinet.
Now... on the 12 volt (left) side of the PDC there are fuses that are fed positive voltage on the trailer's front side of the PDC, and on the back on the PDC there are connections for the now fused + 12 VDC. Further to the left, on the back of the PDC, is a buss bar with the white wire ground connection.

In my case there are only three 12 VDC fuses. If I had a furnace and 12 volt fridge there would be two more. So what I did was to utilize the two unused 12 VDC circuits (BTW, there are more available but be sure to not exceed the maximum amperage that is available.) I ran two conductor, 14 gauge wire from both the fused positive and ground connections (buss bar) on the back of the PDC. I also anchored the wires since there was no built in strain relief. This way I have both positive and ground straight from the PDC and don't need to worry about picking up a ground or negative somewhere else.

---
* Not a Parkliner of course but I doubt there is a great deal of difference.
** Progressive calls it a Power Control Center
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #4

Name: Greg(lee) and katie
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
Thanks for all your input. My 12vdc side of the power center has 10-12 12v fuses and 2 empty ones. I see no buss for the negative side of the 12v in the cabinet behind the power center only black wires going out to the 12v loads and I can not find where the circuit is completed.

The egg is in my storage building about 20 minutes from the house. I'll check to see if the neg side taps into the white wire from the battery.

Thanks, Lee
wandererlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Sounds like a plan Lee.. the buss bar on my Power Distribution box only has (or I should say had when I bought it) the white wire and a bare copper wire. No doubt the white was from the battery and the bare copper wire goes to the ground connection for all things 12 volts. This buss bar could have be put anywhere. In addition to tracing the white wire form the battery, it might help to trace the other grounds to the lights and such when they are in accessible places. You might see better how they did things.

I expect another Parkliner owner will likely chime in here soon.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner