Bigfoot battery needed for boondocking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 07:29 AM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
You've probably found this already, but if you want good light you've got to go with "warm white". The warmest LEDs will be the closest to incandescent light. I've found that I don't even notice the difference.

I got my LEDs from this site (not of those looking to go cheap!), and it has good photos/descriptions of the different temps of LED. I went with all warm except in the bathroom and just one of the two bulbs in kitchen, since those are places I want brighter, rather than more comfortable light. In those I just went with "natural". "Cool" white is too harsh for my eyes.

I have no doubt these lights are made at the same factory in China as some others you could order for much cheaper, but...you know.

Expensive, but as you know, short of actually changing your habits and energy use, this is probably the single biggest way to drastically reduce energy use in a camper.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #22

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Tyhee, One fact is evident batteries do cost more up north where you live. Too bad Amazon.com does not deliver to the North country.
The battery you linked to had some terminology in the discription that differed from what I am used to reading...all my deep cycle AGM batteries are rated in
Amp hours (AH).... While yours used "minutes of reserve capacity" and not Amp hours...confusing.
Read "the 12 volt side of life" from the Internet....a two page summary of everything you need to know about 12 volt storage batteries...it should clear up the AH vs. minutes of reserve capacity. My big question is "what AMP load is used in the minute calculation?"
The battery you focused on also listed CCA (engine starting power) only listed in dual purpose Marine batteries that have thinner plates than pure deep cycle batteries (the web site for the 12 volt side of life explains the difference better than I can).
Also on that Canadian website there was another group 27 size deep cycle that sounded like a real deep cycle battery but it had a higher retail price (over $400). Prices like that drove me to Amazon.com in the early stages of my battery research. I had no idea Amazon did not ship into your neck of the woods.

On another matter (LED bulbs) the question of polarity came up regarding off air antenna television reception ....as I understand it the reception problem came from "RF" interference from some LED bulbs...the whole subject is all smoke and mirrors for my tiny brain...in my trailer...LED lights on = bad TV reception....
LED lights off = O.K. TV reception.

New technology = Confusion

Happy Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #23

Montana
Luckily with my LEDs it doesn't matter.

My trailer = no TV
Old 03-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #24

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Luckily with my LEDs it doesn't matter.

My trailer = no TV
I don't have TV service even at my home
Old 03-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #25

North Carolina
Now to add to the information overload...I just read all about solar charging and even more about batteries via the latest post on solar panels etc. on this board.
There is a recommended website (amsolar.com)...if you read it all your education might be complete. Nothing about LEDs and television...just electricity/solar panels/batteries...a wealth of information all concerning RV travel trailers etc....well worth reading...then impress your friends with all you know!!!

This site confirmed that AGM batteries are the way to go!

Happy Camping!
Old 03-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Now to add to the information overload...I just read all about solar charging and even more about batteries via the latest post on solar panels etc. on this board.
There is a recommended website (amsolar.com)...if you read it all your education might be complete. Nothing about LEDs and television...just electricity/solar panels/batteries...a wealth of information all concerning RV travel trailers etc....well worth reading...then impress your friends with all you know!!!

Happy Camping!
I have LED's in my Scamp as well as my new trailer and both have TV's and no interference from the LED's with the TV.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #27

North Carolina
Carol H, From what I was able to learn from another website (irv2.com) the LED/television reception seems to be hit and miss and quite often it is related to only some brands of LED bulbs. You got lucky...I did not...but I did save my old incandescent bulbs and use them in a few light fixtures when the TV is on using the off air antenna.

Technology has its mysteries!
Old 03-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #28

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhee View Post
There is a ton of great info in is thread ...thanks folks , all of you. Thanks for passing along the savings $$ ideas and sage advice.

I will check out Costcos offerings next week when I go to the big city ..lol. There are definitely no group 27 flooded acid plate batteries in the 100$ range either in these parts, just check the rest of the selection on the link posted here:

Marine & RV | Canadian Tire
Wow... I know that the $CAD is weak against the USD, but those prices are outrageous! Sticker shock here... Wow. I almost don't know what to say.

Here's the battery I was mentioning as the least expensive...

EverStart Marine Battery, Group Size 27DC - Walmart.com

And they may be no great shakes, but for $81.67 US, they're a good buy. And as I said, I usually see three to four years' use out of them, if you keep them filled and charged.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #29

North Carolina
Roger H, Note that the EverStart Marine battery is not a true deep cycle battery. THese batteries are designed for CCA (engine starting) and therefore have thin lead plates that cannot endure the repeated charge/discharge cycles that RV batteries must be able to cycle through in regular use.

The lack of availability of real true deep cycle batteries in retail outlets is why I ended up exploring Amazon and I am glad I did. Ended up with a real deep cycle AGM battery with 100AH rating able to withstand hundreds more deep cycle recharges than any marine battery. Amazon delivery service was prompt and the final cost of $159.95 net delivered was an amazing value. (Model UB121000
12 volt, 100AH, AGM true deep cycle by Universal Power Group...shipped via FedEx from Texas)

I checked RV dealers, NAPA Autoparts stores, Advanced Auto stores, CarQuest Auto parts stores, Sears and Walmart....NO TRUE DEEP Cycle batteries only dual purpose thin plated combo Marine/RV batteries labeled as deep cycle.

Read the 12 volt side of life ....and.....amsolar.com.....for a detailed discussion on what constitutes a true deep cycle battery. Consensus favors AGM Deep Cycle batteries over all others...safe...spill proof...zero maintenance. From Amazon
Old 03-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Roger H, Note that the EverStart Marine battery is not a true deep cycle battery. THese batteries are designed for CCA (engine starting) and therefore have thin lead plates that cannot endure the repeated charge/discharge cycles that RV batteries must be able to cycle through in regular use.
Yes, I'm fully aware of their construction and what those cheap batteries can and can't do. And they'll still last 3-4 seasons under normal RV use. Most folks with trailers only use them to complete the charging circuit in the 12v system anyway, and seldom use them for anything more than keeping the refrigerator circuit board alive in between unhooking and plugging in, and a few minutes' lighting at night. If I were outfitting an expedition rig heading for the outback for weeks at a time I'd have different considerations. But I'm not, nor are most users of trailers or mohos with these batteries in them. For most folks, they're easy to get on short notice and they're relatively inexpensive. They do the job most of us require of them. Most folks who use these trailer wouldn't recognize any difference in performance between a cheap wet-cell battery and an AGM battery. If they have an application where they need the performance of an AGM battery, they'll likely have already researched the issue.

Yes, inexpensive lead-acid wet-cell batteries will sulfate out eventually in RV use, but four seasons' use equates to $20/season. An AGM with a five-year life equates to $30/season. If you get a couple of more seasons out of them, that's great, but it still only brings them down to about the same as an inexpensive lead-acid wet plate battery.

Uplander, I understand your position. I really do. And I consider those things when I buy as well. I'm a very pragmatic shopper and I often don't buy the cheapest thing out there; especially when longevity is important. In RV batteries, it just isn't that important for most of us who use them occasionally, and tend to kill them eventually anyway from lack of care.

Having options are good. Having "almost as good" options that are cheaper are even better, and not everyone wants to spend big bucks on something that isn't "mission-critical" and that is easily replaced when the need arises.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #31

North Carolina
Understand that if you boondock for several days the AH rating on a true deep cycle battery becomes the real focus of concern and not how many years of service a "cost effective" Walmart marine deep cycle wanna-be battery will last.
When your water pump can't get enough power to flush your RV's toilet you soon forget the few dollars you saved by taking that lower cost road.
However if you almost never camp in a natural boondock setting and only opt for hookup commercial campgrounds the battery subject doesn't enter into your equipment priorities.
"normal RV use" differs from camper to camper...some never boondock while many do mostly boondock camping. Each require different equipment. Those new to the RV camping life will decide if the quiet natural settings found in off the grid boondocking locations has the most appeal...while others will gravitate towards the commercial resort type of camping experience.
For us it is the natural isolated lake side quiet that epitomizes "camping". That means serious boondocking equipment.

AH = amp hours of service without recharging.

"Cost effective" = cheap.

You will not find "AH" listed on a Walmart battery.
Real deep cycle batteries always list "AH" rating.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #32

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
All true, but other ways to enable serious boondocking include supporting your battery system with solar, and/or generator, and including a second battery. And all those apply regardless of the battery type.

Walt
Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #33

North Carolina
I have a generator but the idea of drilling holes in my trailer's roof is holding back my desire to add a 100watt solar charging system to my list of boondocking gear.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
Yes, I'm fully aware of their construction and what those cheap batteries can and can't do. ... If I were outfitting an expedition rig heading for the outback for weeks at a time I'd have different considerations. But I'm not, nor are most users of trailers or mohos with these batteries in them.
Quote:
Understand that if you boondock for several days the AH rating on a true deep cycle battery becomes the real focus of concern
Patrick I understand you advocating the AGM batteries for heavy off-grid use, and if someone needs to do that, they already understand what they need. That was NOT the question asked at the beginning of this thread. He just wanted to know if he needed a battery in the charging circuit.

For the majority of trailer owners here who mostly just need a battery in the circuit because the charging system demands it, and who seldom use the 12v system for anything (in other words, apparently the OP,) the cheapies do just fine.

How long are you going to continue to beat this dead horse?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #35

SW Virginia
Roger
If I were a moderator here I'd caution you on your open hostility here.
The original question has been adequately answered and if others want to continue a broader battery discussion there's no harm done.
True these issues/discussions have been repeated on this and many other forums, but there are always new subscribers that benefit.

Walt
Old 03-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #36

North Carolina
Just responding to the original post/question...."battery needed for BOONDOCKING !"

Most topics tend to wander off the original information request which was....

"Bigfoot battery needed for Boondocking"
Old 03-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #37

Trailer: Boler
We have the same trailer and are going through this situation right now. I'm cutting the old battery tray out and welding in 2 channels of angle iron on the top of the frame. I've purchased two 6 volt golf cart batteries and a quick cable dual battery box. My batteries will sit in front of the propane tanks just like it came from the factory. Id take pics, but I haven't started the work yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #38

Montana
I have a portable solar panel. Two 45W panels that fold together into a briefcase for storage and can be set up on the ground and angled toward the sun.

My dual purpose marine/rv battery, regular old flooded lead acid, definitely stated an AH rating. $100 battery, 90AH. I do nothing except boondock. I'll let you know if it lets me down.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #39

SW Virginia
Thanks Zach. Let us know either way. It'll provide a very valuable data point.

Walt
Old 03-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #40

North Carolina
With a 90AH rating you should due just fine as long as you monitor fluid level of battery.
Your battery selection seems better than most as the selection in most big box stores do not include AH ratings and concentrate on CCA ratings.

Do you have a regulator for your solar charging system to avoid overcharging your battery ?

In my application access to the battery is very tight (tiny door on side of trailer) making checking and adding distilled water extremely difficult. That is the reason I opted for the sealed AGM 100AH rated type battery. I also added a digital voltmeter with an on/off toggle switch to monitor charging by my on board electric system as provided by the manufacturer. The meter confirms that the converter is charging the battery through the 3 phase charger...from bulk charging dropping down to a standard maintenance charge when the battery nears full charge. Digital voltmeters cost less than $20.

Tags
battery, bigfoot, boondocking