BEST Awning and Fridge for a 17' Bigfoot. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Nik

Name: Nik
Trailer: BigFoot
Colorado
BEST Awning and Fridge for a 17' Bigfoot.

Hi,

I'm new here and I just bought a 17' Bigfoot. Not sure if it's standard or deluxe. It was manufactured in March 1990. We love this thing. It's going to be a lot of fun.

It's very original. The only modifications have been only a flipped axle and 15" tires.

There are two things it lacks which I was hoping for opinions on.

One is an awning. I have seen wonderful simple awnings with easy levers and aluminum bars triangulating from the body of the trailer. Nothing touching the ground. I'm looking for brands people like.

Two is a new fridge. Mine is missing. I'd like a nice three way. I've written to Bigfoot, which is closed for vacation. I can measure the hole of course, but I'd like to know what size they call for. And I was hoping to ask here what brand people like best. I'll be boondocking mostly, but 100v makes sense to have when the trailer is a guestroom in the yard.

I look forward to sharing my improvements and gleaning information on this site. Thank you in advance for your help.

Nik
Attached Thumbnails
P1110848.jpg   P1110854.jpg  

P1110862.jpg  
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #2

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Hello Nik,

Welcome to the forum! You will love it here! MANY very knowledgeable people here and tons of information to be had. VERY nice Bigfoot you have there - looks very clean!

As for the awning and fridge, I dont have much experience being only on my 2nd camper. I really like the 12v compressor fridge for it performance, but realize for lengthy boondocking it may not be the best option vs a 3way. My awning is actually a canopy, it slides into an aluminum extruded track then has 2 poles that hold it up that hook to the Egg. Not sure of the brand, its an EggCamper original but you will see many pics of the canopy on the web or eggcamper.com

I better let others give their opinion who are more seasoned! Welcome aboard!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
Nik

Colorado
Fridge, Awning and, oh, I forgot! AC Unit as well!

Thank you, Joe.

Looks like a fun forum. If I put together a 12v solar system big enough I might go with a 12v fridge. But I like the option of gas if needed. For our first trips we'll be hefting a cooler.

I think I saw a Carefree Brand Awning that worked every easily while searching for trailers. I'm not sure if the extruded, slotted aluminum rail running above the door is a universal fit for many brands or not. This is my first rodeo.

It occurs to me I'm also looking for an AC unit. There's a fan in the roof. I've seen window units tucked under benches and in closets - like in Casitas. But I don't quite see how they would vent correctly.

It's going to be great fun exploring and inventing stuff for this little travel home.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is a Carefree Fiesta awning half open.
Also, fully open with screen room ( which I've only used a few times in eight years ).
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg   Screen room.jpg  

Old 08-08-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
Nik

Colorado
Carefree Fiesta

Thanks Glenn,

Carefree Fiesta. That looks nice. I think that's the one I saw with simple levers that worked so well.

Compared the old airstream junk I struggled with over the years this Carefree looks like a dream.

With a BigFoot 17' I would imagine the curve is necessary.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Escape is now using a power "arm-less" awning. I think is Dometic, but Carefree also has one.
If you go to: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/
you can search discussion on the pros and cons of this new awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 8.41.12 PM.png  
Old 08-09-2017, 01:04 AM   #7

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
Hi Nik and welcome to the forum. You bought a great trailer!

I've had trailers with and without awnings. My current Bigfoot does not have one and I have no plans to get one. My past experience is that you can safely use it only when you're at the trailer. Go away and it may be wise to roll it up. I found that I often didn't use it. Also, they are quite expensive to purchase (or replace!). I'll eventually get one of those stand-alone shelters if I want an outdoor space.

My Bigfoot has a refer with 110v / propane which works for me. 12 volt operation is only useful while traveling but I operate on propane when traveling or boondocking. If I have access to 110v of course I use it.

Yer' gonna' have some fun!

Jan
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:40 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Hi,
One is an awning. I have seen wonderful simple awnings with easy levers and aluminum bars triangulating from the body of the trailer. Nothing touching the ground. I'm looking for brands people like.
Two is a new fridge. Mine is missing. I'd like a nice three way. I've written to Bigfoot, which is closed for vacation. I can measure the hole of course, but I'd like to know what size they call for. And I was hoping to ask here what brand people like best. I'll be boondocking mostly, but 100v makes sense to have when the trailer is a guestroom in the yard.
I look forward to sharing my improvements and gleaning information on this site. Thank you in advance for your help. Nik
Welcome to the group Nik. As far as awnings, your TTs body is square enough for a standard RV roller awning like Glenn showed you his.
The legs on those can be unlocked from the body and staked to the ground also. There are only 2 or 3 manufactures of them, A&E is probably the biggest. I've had the standard roller awnings from all of them and never had a problem so it may be a moot point, one over another. Most of our eggs like my Casita use bag, case or rope types because of the roof curve.
Refer, you say you'll be mostly boondocking which is what I do 99% of the time. There are a number of members that use 12V refers with solar with good results but you may be better off putting in a 110/LP to get you out there camping. Do the research on solar and 12V refers for your next egg . I've had a number of 3 way refers but have never used 12V on any. I do have a 100W suitcase solar unit that keeps the house battery up and the beer stays cold . OK, there's my 2 cents worth.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Welcome. Very nice trailer. Looks like a deluxe model. Our 1980 standard has no shower, oven, or hot water heater. It does has 2 windows across the rear with one in the bathroom. We have added an awning but seldom use it. We prefer a detached "Clam" shelter. It's ease to put up, wind proof and bug proof.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:44 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
The original fridge was most likely a Dometic RM2301 3-way model. That was the original equipment in my 1989 Bigfoot 17. I never found the 12 volt system to be very useful. If I would have had to replace the fridge, I would have gone with the same size unit as a 2-way (propane and 120v).
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #11

Name: Paige
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Watch for awning clearance over door

Hi Nik -

I have a 1994 17ft BF with center bath and rear gaucho. I don't have an awning and I've gotten a couple of quotes for a new one. They seem to run about $1200 out here in California.

Something unique to the Bigfoot is the relatively small clearance between the awning track and the top of the door. That, coupled with the pointy and sharp door corners means you want to be certain your awning clears the door completely when deployed. I think there are specially designed awnings just for that purpose.

Also, I just replaced my Dometic fridge with a new one and went from a 3 way to a 2 way. My repair guy convinced me that running the fridge off of battery was a bad idea and not necessary with two propane tanks available to me.

Good luck and enoy your new BF. We love ours.
Paige C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I recently replaced a fridge in a 1986 Bigfoot B17 with a Dometic RM2354 3-way that fit perfect in the old fridge location. I've included a chart showing direct replacements for Dometic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Fridge Replacement.pdf (63.2 KB, 25 views)
Dave Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #13

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I recently replaced the awning on my BF 17CB. It's a Dometic A&E with curved arm hardware. The cost was right around $1k plus labor, so $1200 sounds about right.
My fridge is an Americana 2 door model, 120v and propane with auto switching. No 12v, but from my experience with several eggs, the 12v mode is pretty useless. I love the auto switching which I'm not sure is available on any 3 way models.

Walt
Old 08-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #14
Nik

Colorado
Wink Step by Step

Thank you JWScarab, Glenn Baglo, 40bpm, Borrego Dave, Tom Trostel, trainjunkie, Paige C. and Dave Gray for all your input.

A 12v fridge would require a lot of battery power. If I install a big solar system I'd consider a 3-way. Otherwise probably a two way. And thank you Dave for the sizing chart. That's helpful.

For the moment we're going to use the old cooler with ice.

The Bigfoot door is indeed very high next to the awning track. I can see the potential issues. For now I'm going to rig a tarp and see how it feels. I like the cozy feeling of a porch roof. But I'll look into something built to work with this door-edge pitfall.

Our maiden voyage with this rig is straight into the "Eclipse-capades" of Eastern Oregon in a couple weeks. We're going very early and try to set up camp in the shadow of the eclipse. I'm sure no one else will have thought of this.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #15
Nik

Colorado
Hi Walt,

Thanks for the recommendations. So you put a two door fridge in your 17' bigfoot? I haven't seen any fridges that would fit in that little space with two doors. Could I trouble you for the model number?
I think it would be great to have two doors.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #16
Nik

Colorado
Smile Very nice.

I'm really pleased with all this helpful and quick response from everyone on this forum.

I really look forward to working on this trailer and I appreciate all the advice.

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #17

SW Virginia
I meant to mention that the A&E awning comes with a roller that mounts to the door and gently lifts the awning fabric away from the corner of the door as it opens and closes. I even have a spare from installing the new awning.

Walt
Old 08-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #18

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Thank you JWScarab, Glenn Baglo, 40bpm, Borrego Dave, Tom Trostel, trainjunkie, Paige C. and Dave Gray for all your input.

A 12v fridge would require a lot of battery power. If I install a big solar system I'd consider a 3-way. Otherwise probably a two way. And thank you Dave for the sizing chart. That's helpful.

For the moment we're going to use the old cooler with ice.

The Bigfoot door is indeed very high next to the awning track. I can see the potential issues. For now I'm going to rig a tarp and see how it feels. I like the cozy feeling of a porch roof. But I'll look into something built to work with this door-edge pitfall.

Our maiden voyage with this rig is straight into the "Eclipse-capades" of Eastern Oregon in a couple weeks. We're going very early and try to set up camp in the shadow of the eclipse. I'm sure no one else will have thought of this.
:Nik, one of the things one should watch for on CL is good used fridges that will fit right into your hole, I find rooftop AC units this way, Fantastic Fans, Stoves with Ovens, for pennies on the dollar. sometimes one sees a good deal on awnings but my wife and I hate having that Awning up there as we rarely are in one place long enough to use it then when we are we put it out but after a week forget how to put it back. Basically I Like the others who use the stand alone item so much easier.
All I can say is this is a great site for info especially when one does a complete remodel of these old trailers.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #19

SW Virginia
You'll find a wide variety of preferences here and that's good.
As a counter[point to Strude, my first three trailers did not have awnings and I carried a canopy. I actually thought that was the best. But now that I've had the Bigfoot with the very sturdy A&E awning for a few years, I really enjoy not having to carry and deal with the separate canopy and would never be without a good awning.

Walt
Old 08-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #20

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The reason Walt can have a large, two-door fridge is because he has a newer, CB (Center Bath) model. It's a very different layout, what with the bathroom in the center of the trailer and all

Anyway, though that layout doesn't fit the way I use my trailer, the one huge benefit is that it comes with a "full size" fridge. People may or may not need all that space, but for a couple reasons, it's just better to have a full size fridge if the trailer is big enough.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, bigfoot, fridge