Tackling a full Boler 1700 Custom Redo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 12:14 AM   #1

Name: Gerard
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Tackling a full Boler 1700 Custom Redo

Hey all;

So I am 4 weeks into a complete gut and redo of a 1700 Boler. Going for a custom floor plan (basically copying the Boler that Camper Repairadise did) with queen bed and dinette in the rear and 2 stacked bunks on the street side, Closet on the curb side next to the door and galley at the front.

I have removed the interior to the hull, patched leaking belly band seam from the inside and replaced all new wiring (excluding running lights which were fine). I have fiberglassed over the 2 roof vents as well as furnace and fridge vent holes (job from hell coming up on the body work). I have removed all mounting tabs not needed in the new floor plan and filled the hull holes with Fiberglass from the inside and epoxy in the holes from the outside.

My plan is to go with potable water and no grey. I will drain the sink through the floor and use a portable grey tank. I will keep the original grey tank in place but abandon it for now - may reconnect in the future - but I doubt it. I want this trailer to be a summer unit with simple functions. For Hot water I think I will use a portable coleman for now and could add a tankless under the sink in future (wiring is there).

I am about 70% through reflectix install inside (Elmers Contact cement brush on) and aluminum tape on the joints. I am using Sailrite hull liner to cover over the reflectix. For word work, I am going to use a mix of 5/8" and 3/4" Solid beech ply. I am going to try to use as many of the remaining anchor points as I can and will likely have to glass some plinths to the walls for the bunks and kitchen cabinets where no angle anchors are riveted in existing.

On the exterior, I am going to use a matte finish vinyl wrap. Should last 5-10 years, adds another layer of water protection (rivets are covered) and is cost effective. There will be seams on the radius corners, but it should be un-noticable for the most part I hope.

Here are a few questions:
1. It seems i have a bad joint at the belly band at the door. There was a hokey piece of aluminum angle there. Any advice as to how to fix?

2. It would seem to make sense to install the hull liner before the cabinetry, but I think it would be easier to install the woodwork first and hull liner last so it stays fresh and clean. Any advice here? I suppose I could adjust the radius cuts on the wordwork by 1/8" to allow for the hull liner and reinstall the new wood work at the end, but I would rather stain the wood in place in the trailer... advice?

3. My hitch ball locking tongue is wore out. It doesn't seem to be catching the ball properly and allowing the trailer to bounce on the hitch which is no good. These dont seem to be replaceable parts. Do I need to cut the hitch off and replace the entire thing or is there another option? this seems like a welding job...

I have more questions but they can wait!

A few pics are at my blog space:
Boler Rebuild: Progress Pics Oct 10
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4051.jpg   IMG_4052.jpg  

IMG_4054.jpg   IMG_4076.jpg  

gvanginkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
I would install the cabinets before liner and reflectix. I found that it's impossible to really set the rivets tight with 1/3in of fabric and insulation in between.
Good luck, sounds like a great project!
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
[QUOTE=gvanginkel;553225]Hey all;

Here are a few questions:
1. It seems i have a bad joint at the belly band at the door. There was a hokey piece of aluminum angle there. Any advice as to how to fix?

I'm assuming that you are referring to the vertical piece behind the hinge side of the door frame. It is a structural piece placed there to prevent too much body flex. Mine was missing and the door would unexpectedly open while travelling. Problem was fixed when I built the screen door frame. If this is the case, remove it at your risk. Better to paint it to match the interior.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler 1700 1979
Ontario
Registry
I am also restoring a Boler 1700, 1979. Gutted out to bare fiberglass, floor rotten so that is replaced. Working on flaws in the gelcoat getting ready to paint. Lots to do.
beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:30 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I did a similar thing on my 16' Scamp.
I replaced the front of the frame and the hitch using a bulldog unit.
I patched all of the cutouts for almost everything with parts of the original fiberglass inner panels and epoxy with fiberglass cloth cut into strips.
Here is a link to my project posting.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ild-67552.html

I bought a used Norcold swing compressor refrigerator that needs no outside venting and installed a heat pump.

I have done many of the things you are doing and perhaps a little further along.

Good luck with your project.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #6

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
do you have any pics? always looking for idea.
i'm doing the same but have taken a few months off because i was camping in it. i hope to get back at it in november

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...o-68915-2.html

Andrew
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler