Long Road Trip with Subaru Forester and 13 Foot Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
Long Road Trip with Subaru Forester and 13 Foot Burro

I just came home from a wonderful trip from Albuquerque to Yellowstone National Park. My Burro 13 foot weighs less than 900 pounds. I was concerned about pulling it up over two mountain ranges without trailer brakes so I did a lot of research and discovered that as long as the loaded weight with all gear does not exceed about 1200 pounds, brakes are not needed.
My trailer followed and tracked perfectly and I never got up over 65MPH for safety. I took it slow down hills and steep grades and used my gears to slow down instead of the brakes when possible. My Forester pulled the trailer up the steepest grades with very little effort. I was very impressed. I averaged about about 21 MPG for the entire trip. I don't think I'll face steeper grades or more acute curves than I just faced and the Subaru handled it perfectly.

I still may put brakes on this unit because I think it's worth the cost and effort given that in an emergency braking situation it would be critical. I ran out of time before my trip to get this done. I did pull the wheels and my 1983 13 foot Burro does have the axel with the mounting plate with the four places to bolt on the new hubs and brakes.

For those of you wondering if it is possible to pull a 13 foot fiberglass RV with a 4 cylinder SUV, I am here to tell you...........YES YOU CAN! Subaru rates the Forester to pull 2000 pounds. I am well at HALF of that. The key is not to load the trailer with extra cargo weight. Less is more.

If any of you have any suggestions regarding good brake controllers I'm all ears. I am shopping for a good model now.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer.jpg   Old Faithful erupts 1.jpg  

John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I certainly believe a 4 cylinder can pull a small trailer. We towed a Scamp 16 or equivalent with a 4 cylinder Honda CRV for 7 years. However, though it's possible to tow a small trailer without trailer brakes, I suggest you add brakes to your trailer.

First it will reduce wear on your vehicle brakes but more importantly should you have a trailer problem like sway you can instantly stop it by 'manually' activating 'just' your brake controller.

As well the most common, though rare issue is the trailer coming off the ball, With trailer brakes and an inexpensive 'break-away switch' you can be protected against a runaway trailer.

Though I believe light trailers can be towed with an appropriate 4 cylinder, I also believe in trailer brakes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Be sure you get a proportional type.. From the reviews I have read, the Tekonsha line of controllers was a no-brainer. I choose this model because there was limited area to mount it in a Sienna Van (so many airbags!) and this one allows more flexibility than some cheaper Tekonsha models. Choose the model that has the features you need. etrailer is a good resource for you.. lots of good instruction on installs, etc.

It sure was a bear to install (at least to my satisfaction).. I hope you have a brake controller harness in your car, that makes it a lot easier.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I set my 2012 Forester up to tow my 1700lb Trillium. I had no problem with the mountain grades but a big problem getting started. My car came with a hill holder clutch. On older Subaru's this feature was mechanical and could be disconnected but after 2010? It was programmed into the ABS. system. It made hill starts challenging and hard on the clutch. One outing and I went back to my pick up.

Here's my installation. Hope its useful. Raz

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...hed-52650.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Ask your dealer what it costs to install new rotors and pads on the Subaru. I think you'll find that adding brakes to the trailer is a bargain.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I towed a 13' Casita Patriot Deluxe with a 2000 Forester for about two years. I agree about installing brakes and I also added a transmission cooler. Otherwise it was an easy tow and a lot of fun.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:34 AM   #7
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Sounds like you are enjoying the Forester combo. FYI there is a guy on the Airstream forum towing a heavier 16' Bambi with a Forester. He is using a WDH. Works great.

RE brakes.... there is only a benefit by adding trailer brakes. Thinking you will like the mod.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:10 AM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Regrettably about three years ago, Subaru dropped the tow rating on the Forester from 2000 to 1500 lb, so the newer ones apparently are not as capable.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 AM   #9

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We have the Tekonsha P3 and love it compared to earlier Tekonsha's we've had.

http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90195...sha+prodigy+p3

Thanks for the post, and best of luck to you!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro