Covering your egg...... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #41

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Roof bracing snow load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We've heard of several molded trailers where the roof caved in due to snow load. If it were me (and it's not) and I was worried about ANY snow load, I've put a brace inside from floor to ceiling. Just because someone else hasn't had a problem, doesn't mean YOU won't. My heart would break if I didn't take of the problem before it became a problem and my trailer was seriously damaged. A couple of 2x4s (made into an "I") would be a great piece of mind. YMMV
DONNA : How many roof braces are necessary ? This is my first winter and I installed 3- 2" x 4" roof braces in my 16 ft. Scamp with front bath . One between the roof fan and roof vent , and one on either side of rooftop AC. Living in northern Wisconsin ,we can get lots of snow and I don't want to run out and clean the roof everytime it snows.

Thanks Steve Dunham
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #42

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Steve, I wouldn't even hazard a guess... any braces are better than no braces under a snow load... IMHO. Over the years, folks have spoken about taking three 2x4s and building one brace. One 2x4 against the roof, one 2x4 on the floor and the third as an upright between the two. I suppose it would depend on the curve of the roofline..... but, nothing beats watching the weight on the trailer and scrapping it off as it forms. Remember too, ice weighs more than fluffy snow. This is a "maintenance" issue and shouldn't be ignored and just hoping for the best....

On edit: here's an example of what can happen: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post261276

and another: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-or-36347.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #43

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
You could also tilt your trailer nose up or down using your front jack so that melting snow drains off and doesn't ice up as much. The slope effect also helps reduce snow accumulation and applied weight.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #44

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...NOW this is a cover!!! We're lucky to have a family member with enough acreage to have a Cover-All building. We give him a years supply of red wine for the use of space. It's a good deal all around.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Lonely- I'm so lonely.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #45

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All...NOW this is a cover!!! We're lucky to have a family member with enough acreage to have a Cover-All building. We give him a years supply of red wine for the use of space. It's a good deal all around.
Yo! Hey Alf! Buddy, buddy, Hey where are you??????

You'll have a lot of personal emails over that photo.
Well placed but boy it looks lonely.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #46

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Cater View Post
I will be buying a portable shelter for my Cadet. I want to keep the snow off the roof and this is the netter option for me. They do make them to take the snow load but you should still clear it off.
What kind of portable shelter?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #47

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
For $138 so far I'm happy with the eBay elitemotors online 13' scamp cover. Here's a few pics of it. Comes with a storage bag also.

There's a couple of close ups on the fabric. The top roof portion is thicker than the sides (pic with th bigger dots is the roof). By the end of next summer I'll have a stronger opinion I'm sure. Fabric seems breathable to me.

I'm not in a windy area so I'm glad it has enough room to tuck around the entire rear bumper and cover the front propane tank.

Secured by 3 straps that connect by fastex buckles underneath. Easy to install using a couple of brooms - another great tip from this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04968.jpg   DSC04970.jpg  

DSC04971.jpg   DSC04972.jpg  

DSC04973.jpg   DSC04976.jpg  

DSC04977.jpg   DSC04978.jpg  

JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #48

Name: Glenn
Trailer: lil snoozy
South Carolina
Elite Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
For $138 so far I'm happy with the eBay elitemotors online 13' scamp cover. Here's a few pics of it. Comes with a storage bag also.

There's a couple of close ups on the fabric. The top roof portion is thicker than the sides (pic with th bigger dots is the roof). By the end of next summer I'll have a stronger opinion I'm sure. Fabric seems breathable to me.

I'm not in a windy area so I'm glad it has enough room to tuck around the entire rear bumper and cover the front propane tank.

Secured by 3 straps that connect by fastex buckles underneath. Easy to install using a couple of brooms - another great tip from this forum.
Just put one from Elite on my Lil Snoozy today. It is really for a Casita, but worked fine. They were very nice to deal with, the price is right and they shipped quicky. Recommend to anyone looking for a decent cover.
Gleam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #49

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
If it wasn't for the distance -"north shore of lake erie" vs Wisconsin, Mississippi River side, I'd consider increasing your family members yearly wine consumption...
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #50

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
John, is there a zipper for door access? What's the shorter flap looking thing near the top running horizontal all the way across?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #51

Wisconsin
The 6th picture shows the zippered door access. The zippered panel is pretty large - and there are stow straps for rolling it up.

The flaps on each side are for ventilation; there are mesh panels near the top underneath the flap shown in picture 2.

Cheap and reasonable so far, but I store the scamp inside a barn in the winter so it didn't really see harsh weather. I'll be using it mostly in season for UV sun protection and bird/tree dropping protection. Very easy to put on and off - it is slightly oversized and with a few brooms holding it up, we can walk it on and off in less than 5 minutes total.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #52

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
brooms??

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I see now how the door access works with the side rolled up, lol. I thought you had just lifted the entire side somehow to gain entry. Doh! Sorry
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #53

Wisconsin
Brooms were a tip I picked up somewhere else here.

Pick 2 brooms - any style, your spouse gets on the other side of the trailer, you each stuff a broom up underneath the cover and simply hold them up as high as you can and walk the cover onto the trailer. POC as my wife would say ("piece of cake"). No ladder or any other wrestling needed.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #54

Name: john
Trailer: Boler
Arizona
We bought a van cover for our 13' Boler two summers ago , for about $120. We live in Phoenix. By this winter, it had completely disintergrated in the sun, literally falling apart like strands of straw. I'd love to hear any suggestions about managing the incredible sun here, short of building a carport...

travel sketches in the Boler at www/j-drawingaday.blogspot.com thanks..
screaminbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #55

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
We use the ebay Elitemotors cover too while the trailer is stored. For about 75 bucks it was well worth it. For the Escape 13 I ordered the one for the Trillium, which has the same body so it fits perfectly. Doesn't have a "door" but on the small trailer it's easy to push it up over the awning for easy access when I need to get into the trailer for something quick. The fabric is nice and soft. I figure it will at least slow down the degradation of the clear coat.
Phil

Tags
cover, eggcamper