Casita axle dilemma... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #41

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I speced out my #9 Dexter to 2000 lbs if my memory serves me correctly for our 1971 Boler that weighs dry at 1440 lbs, allowing for water in tanks, clothes, food, gear and ourselves (3 people) which a Dexter engineer to me to include in my figures for weight loading which makes sense as your body weight is on the torsion when inside, even using stabilizers according to the engineer. Now for my 1985 Casita 16 I will definitely be going with the #10
Old 04-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #42

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucesquatch View Post
I will look that up and post up in that thread when I have a moment, it was loaded up but not with everything. I am still building a drawer, need to add an AC unit and the new spare 15" wheel is quite heavy.
I don't know Jamie....think I'd go with a 22-2500# axle for a couple reasons. It's going to get weaker as time goes by and you will be adding items that you haven't even thought about yet, like "sure would be nice to have solar on the roof" ect. A few extra #s in the axle now will save a lot of $ later. There's my 2 cents worth, carry on .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #43

Name: Jamie
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I don't know Jamie....think I'd go with a 22-2500# axle for a couple reasons. It's going to get weaker as time goes by and you will be adding items that you haven't even thought about yet, like "sure would be nice to have solar on the roof" ect. A few extra #s in the axle now will save a lot of $ later. There's my 2 cents worth, carry on .
Normally I overbuild everything I work on to the complete annoyance of my wife but this time around there are a few factors, time, money and vehicle towing capacity are all limited. My plan is that I will replace it in 5 years anyway, but also having a weight restriction for us will be a good thing, we need to learn how to travel light. We are towing with a 2015 Honda Odyssey which has a 3500lb tow rating, so I can't overload it even if I wanted to. For us to get into an SUV with a 3rd row (which we need) is just out of our budget for a few years.

so for the next few years this will be our theme song lol

Just got a text that my friend Pat is going to be able to come by this afternoon and help me get it mounted up. I'll post up some pics
saucesquatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, casita