A/C Window Mount Design for Scamps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
A/C Window Mount Design for Scamps

Mike-N-Laurie were great at showing us that you can put a 5000btu window A/C into the back window of a Scamp. I was excited enough to go out and get the same Frigidaire unit. I definitely like the $120 price over the permanent roof mount that wouldn't fit through my garage door. And when it goes bad I can chuck it and get another for 1/7th the price of a roof model. I tested my Honda 2000i generator on it and it worked perfectly, even on high in the slow idle ECO mode once it was running.

Mike's idea to mount it was really good/simple but I was hoping to find a more solid state, universal mount that may hold the A/C a bit better. I also hoped to make it last for many, many years, like these FGlass campers we all have on this site. Something that could be used over and over and easy to install in minutes.

Well anyway, I finished my prototype this morning. It took a lot of measurements and designing to make it fit perfectly so I made the prototype out of plywood. I found a source for some black plastic (hi density polyethylene) that I plan on making the finished one out of. I designed it to come apart with screws but most likely wing nuts for ease of use. It is made to have a plate on each side and the outside will be permanently attached to the frame. So it is made to sandwich both sides of the window for a nice snug fit. Once the A/C was in it fit so well that there is no need for extra support and it does not stress or damage the window frame. It is designed not to be transported in the window though.

I haven't purchased the plastic yet and it's far cheaper to order a 4' x 8' sheet which is enough for 4 of these. So if anyone is interested in having one made up for your A/C rather than making your own let me know as I am going to initially make 4. I would gladly buy one myself as designing was a pain so I might as well have a few on hand in case others have interest. Not sure of the cost yet to make one but should have a price once they are done in the next few weeks. I might warn that the plastic is pricey but will last forever and won't need paint. I also want to find some good weatherstripping to keep the rain and bugs out. Once the final design is done I will put more pics up. Please use your imagination with the color black for now. I would rather show the finished result but was too excited to use the A/C and show it right away to everyone. I got air!!!!

Interested parties can PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0205.jpg   DSC_0203.jpg  

DSC_0204.jpg   DSC_0207.jpg  

Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #2

Wisconsin
A couple more pics to show the detail of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0208.jpg   DSC_0206.jpg  

Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #3

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
I really like the simplicity of the design! Did you try it yet? Does the air circulate well enough so you don't get frozen when you lie under it, how is the noise vibration?
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
I really like the way you trimmed it in, very nice. I used mine all weekend and I spent a lot of time inside as we got a lot of rain. With the sun hitting the camper hard it still stayed at 70 degrees on low. While your sleeping the a/c doesn't blow directly on you but bring a blanket as it gets cold. With the pipe wrapping the window frame you do get a little water dripping in onto the table but a small towel took care of that.
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #5

Florida
Vtec, Put me down for one if it's not to pricey. Look at "Starboard"
it's a marine white plastic board that cuts like plywood. When you
take the a/c out turn it on its side to drain the water out. PM me
when you have a cost. Would also like to see the finished frame.
But still put me down for one... Thanks, Mike
Old 07-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Florida
Dave when your running the a/c on the Honda Generator the manual says once you stop the compressor let it sit for 3 minutes before restarting. I noticed it uses less start up on the gen, it just burps when it starts if you let it sit before restarting...
Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe you can remove the wings on the inside for a better look.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Yes cpaharley, there is no need for the wings. I only put them on there to see exactly where to place weather stripping or a stop bracket around the A/C. I designed it to slide right in and place itself with no adjusting. Just put the outside/frame part through the window, place it (it rests on the frame with little play between the sides), and then fasten the inside plate. The fit is pretty snug with little play so it is brainless. The outside plate seals all the way around the outside window contour and I would put a thin weather strip around that flange. A thicker weather strip would be needed to meet the right window post. You then need to weather strip the A/C around the inside for a tight seal.

As far as the A/C noise I was very surprised how quiet this model is. It makes a hum but it's not bad at all compared to what I remember of window units years ago. And it surely will keep up well to the Scamp 16 size in most if not all conditions.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Agreed, the newer a/c models are light years ahead of the older original units, both in efficiency and quietness, similar to televisions, newer is better.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
There are always stand up AC units

You can always try a stand up unit.

EdgeStar Extreme Cool 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner - AP12000S
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #11

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
, c

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #12

Wisconsin
My new updated version with the HDPE black plastic. I want to get rid of the materials as I no longer have the Scamp and am cleaning out the garage. Am making 10 total for anyone interested. And here is the other link
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...uff-80678.html
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0415.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trillium
Baltimore, MD
Seems like a great idea for newer model campers without Jalousie windows. Wonder if anyone has something similar that fits the escape window on a Trillium?
billiam1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #14

Name: Roger
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
My new updated version with the HDPE black plastic. I want to get rid of the materials as I no longer have the Scamp and am cleaning out the garage. Am making 10 total for anyone interested. And here is the other link
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...uff-80678.html
Dave, in one of your pictures from 2014 you show a generator (Honda?) attached to your Scamp. Which model? Did it run your window a/c alright? We are headed to a dry camping weekend for the solar eclipse and will need a/c. Looking at generator options.
Rog Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #15

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog Mich View Post
Dave, in one of your pictures from 2014 you show a generator (Honda?) attached to your Scamp. Which model? Did it run your window a/c alright? We are headed to a dry camping weekend for the solar eclipse and will need a/c. Looking at generator options.
We have just the standard Honda EU2000i, and it even worked in the slow ECO mode but I think that was on the AC low setting. Because of the size of Scamps or Casita's I never found the need or conditions to run on AC high. I think that window AC pictured was only 5000 btu's and I might have been running it on high. Our Casita has the Coleman Mach which is rated at I think 9000 btu's and it only works on low well. Not sure if that size Honda works with the newer Coleman's.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: Compact Jr
TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
We have just the standard Honda EU2000i, and it even worked in the slow ECO mode but I think that was on the AC low setting. Because of the size of Scamps or Casita's I never found the need or conditions to run on AC high. I think that window AC pictured was only 5000 btu's and I might have been running it on high. Our Casita has the Coleman Mach which is rated at I think 9000 btu's and it only works on low well. Not sure if that size Honda works with the newer Coleman's.

I have the same a/c that I use for my RTT. It runs without any issues powered by my honda eu1000.
basicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:17 AM   #17

Wisconsin
It must be getting warm out as I had 2 inquiries in two days for more of these AC frames. I now have two left and that's all for now. I would consider making more if enough people wanted some. They are not that hard to make and I included detailed plans on another one of my posts if you look around. The ones I have left were made with 1/4" HDPE black plastic. If I make more I will try to get 3/8" to make it a bit more sturdy but increase the cost a bit. I don't really want to make more but feel sorry for the not so handy Scamp owners baking to death.

We loved our Scamp but no AC was hard to take. This AC mount was a lifesaver for us when we had it. PM me if you are interested in any for the upcoming summer. We will be gone most of the month of June in our Casita so don't wait for it to get hot if on the fence.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #18

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
New model of Frigidaire with flange

These are the pictures I referred to in my PM.
Attached Thumbnails
20180511_095515.jpg   20180511_093630.jpg  

nigeleccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #19

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Nigel, have you installed that unit in your Scamp?

I'm looking at how modify Dave's design for our Bigfoot and I love the simplicity of this idea. We'll JUST have the room to make this work but I've PM'd Dave with a few questions and I'm waiting for his response.

bill (not laura)
Old 05-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #20

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Just a share....

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post538062
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp