Price Comparison: Scamp, Casita, Escape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Price Comparison: Scamp, Casita, Escape

I was very surprised this morning at how close these three manufacturers are in price when comparing comparably equipped trailers. I set up a spread sheet to compare the trailers. Granted you can get a stripped down Scamp cheaper than the others, and can get a stripped down Casita cheaper than the base Escape, but comparing apples to apples, this is what I have come up with. These are my calculations, based on my understanding of the options available, taking into consideration the standard equipment and options to make the comparisons close. Prices based on what I received from the manufacturers this past month. All are with Bath/shower, air conditioning, and a furnace.

Note: NONE of these are for the base unit price, they all have options added to attempt to make them similarly equipped.

Comparably Equipped:

Scamp 13: $14,137
Casita 13: $15,738

Scamp 16: $17,659
Casita 16: $16,766

Casita 17: $17,838
Escape 17b: $24,125 ($18, 491 with current exchange rate applied)

I also compared how I would order each, given the options available (not necessarily comparing apples to apples):

Scamp 13: $14,287
Casita 13: $16,290

Scamp 16: $17,904
Casita 16: $17,318

Casita 17: $18,453
Escape 17b: $ 26,755 ($20,507 after exchange rate applied)

I was shocked that the Escape, as I would like it, was less than $3000 more than the similar Casita. I included the better insulation and double pane windows, two six volt battery package, and a 150 watt solar package in that configuration. Plus, the Escape comes standard with an awning, the others did not include one. I'm amazed, and very pleasantly surprised.

My point in all this, do NOT just look at the list prices, make sure to take into account the exchange rates.

Disclaimer: I do not guarantee that my comparisons are entirely accurate and without error. They are simply my attempt at understanding the big picture of what is available and for how much.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes, Escapes are a great deal for our friends from the States right now.
People should keep into account though that our exchange rate is the lowest it has been in ten years and jump now because at times it has been the same as the US dollar which of course means they would be a lot more expensive for you.

Where we live lots of people take their children over the border for orthodontics, they are really feeling the financial pain at this point as their monthly payments keep going up with the exchange rate.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #3

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Those are very interesting comparisons and do change somewhat the way I look at the three. It would make it even more useful if the cost of getting each one back to (pick a place) were included, since crossing a border may affect the price of the Escape.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
Those are very interesting comparisons and do change somewhat the way I look at the three. It would make it even more useful if the cost of getting each one back to (pick a place) were included, since crossing a border may affect the price of the Escape.
Crossing the border is next to nothing. I paid a $7 tire fee. ETI imports the trailer into the US for US citizens. What it may cost is delivery fees, taxes in your home state, license and registration. But, that can be said for any of the three brands being discussed,
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:41 AM   #5

Name: Alida
Trailer: currently looking in CA
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I was very surprised this morning at how close these three manufacturers are in price when comparing comparably equipped trailers. I set up a spread sheet to compare the trailers. Granted you can get a stripped down Scamp cheaper than the others, and can get a stripped down Casita cheaper than the base Escape, but comparing apples to apples, this is what I have come up with. These are my calculations, based on my understanding of the options available, taking into consideration the standard equipment and options to make the comparisons close. Prices based on what I received from the manufacturers this past month. All are with Bath/shower, air conditioning, and a furnace.

Note: NONE of these are for the base unit price, they all have options added to attempt to make them similarly equipped.

Comparably Equipped:

I also compared how I would order each, given the options available (not necessarily comparing apples to apples):

I was shocked that the Escape, as I would like it, was less than $3000 more than the similar Casita. I included the better insulation and double pane windows, two six volt battery package, and a 150 watt solar package in that configuration. Plus, the Escape comes standard with an awning, the others did not include one. I'm amazed, and very pleasantly surprised.

My point in all this, do NOT just look at the list prices, make sure to take into account the exchange rates.

Disclaimer: I do not guarantee that my comparisons are entirely accurate and without error. They are simply my attempt at understanding the big picture of what is available and for how much.
this is very helpful as I am considering ordering a Scamp 13. Wondering if there is anybody in Ohio willing to take me on a short trip to see how the Scamp works on the road, set up, etc. thanks Ally
arthynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
How did you get the options prices? I know if you go by the Scamp brochure that lists the prices of the various options, you might come out high because there is a discount for getting standard option package. Try as I might, I could not get my calculation of the price for various options to match the quote that Scamp gave me. Its not a huge difference but there was a discount with the options I choose.

This is a great study. If I had seen it months ago I might have put Escape back on my shopping list. Thanks for sharing it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #7

None
I just used the options price list that they sent me, as well as the base price for the trailers with the bath package included. There may be some discrepancy since I'm not sure if Scamp credits you for an item already included in a particular package when you upgrade.

For example with the refrigerators. The price of the 1.9 cubic foot is $650, the price of the 4.6 cubic foot is $950. The 1.9 is included in the "package". If you upgrade to the 4.6, do you pay $950 or $300? I assume $300, but not entirely sure.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Haven't they quit making the Escape 17?
Otherwise , nice advertising copy for Escape!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
The Escape sure looks tempting once you apply the exchange rate!
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #10

None
No, according to the web site they quit making the 15', but a couple of weeks ago they sent me a price list that includes a price for the 15'.

I know, according to an interview I saw online with the owners, when they discontinued the 13' several years ago, they continued to take special orders for it for a while if someone requested. Perhaps they are doing the same with the 15' now.

The 17', 19', 21' and 5th wheel are their current line-up.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
, still one of the most popular models. IF you really want to see great advertising, check out the August issue of Trailer Life. The Escape 5.0TA is the cover story
Attached Thumbnails
TrailerLife.jpg  
Old 07-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #12

None
Quote:
When buying a Scamp don't forget that all options are added up , then discounted as a group by at least 10%.

I wasn't aware of the 10% discount, that would have to factor in to some degree since so many of their options are a la carte.

Yeah, I'm surprised they do not point that out, and include a conversion tool on their site. My understanding, however is that they have as much business as they can handle right now, hence the 11 month wait time between order and pick-up.

See separate post regarding the 17'.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #13

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
Sometimes it is more...

Sometimes it is more than price; it's a feeling of being home. We looked at Airstreams, Scamps, Hi-Lo's, and the Escape. Both the Scamp and Escape were the fifth wheel version. We had looked at stick model travel trailers and fifth wheel types and I never felt at home-you know that feeling when it is right for YOU!

I love that you did the comparison but choosing one of these babies is so much more and even though we had not planned to buy for another 1-2 years, the Escape we toured did not scream, "you are home." Yet, when the Scamp we had toured suddenly showed up on the market thanks to Dave and Joanne, we knew she was right for us. That one did scream, "Take me home!" Just saying... you gotta jump in and see what feels right for you.
SallyBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #14

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:

Comparably Equipped:

Hi I would like to put my 2 cents in here . We were looking for years before we bought our 19 Escape . We picked up in Canada and bought our trailer home . That was very easy . I worked in constuction in my younger days and what impressed me with the Escapes was their build . Escape trailer are 2 pieces of fiberglass together in the middle . The bottom of a Escape is all fiberglass . The Casita and the scamp are wood . If the Escape costs a little more you kind of get what you pay for .The Escape is a lot more room also . The Casita's and Scamp's I was in were a little tight . Our Escape is only outside 7 feet wide . They no longer are making 15 's but the 17 ft in very well thought of for space . The 19 we got because we have a true Queen bed other wise the 17 would have worked fine . There is only one trailer above the Escape in our opinion the Oliver . That is like the Rolls Royce of fiberglass trailers . Escape is very much about customer satisfaction . They also let you customize your trailer , the likes I have never seen before . It's your decision but for our money you can't beat buying a Escape . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #15

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyBEE View Post
Sometimes it is more than price; it's a feeling of being home. ...
Yeah, I'm not really out to sell anyone on an Escape. Home-grown, made in USA should play into your considerations as well, plus travel time/effort to pick it up, and many other considerations.

My purpose for doing this comparison, and, now, for posting my results, was just to make folks aware that the current exchange rate makes these various manufacturers much closer on price, so don't discount one (Escape ) without really considering what they offer.

As a gentleman recently told me: It's not about which trailer you get, it's about the experience you have while using it. You can't make a bad choice. This is so true in many endeavors, we sometimes get stuck on the equipment instead of the experience - especially when we are new.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:

As a gentleman recently told me: It's not about which trailer you get, it's about the experience you have while using it. You can't make a bad choice. This is so true in many endeavors, we sometimes get stuck on the equipment instead of the experience - especially when we are new.
Perfect Lyle. Whatever brand, don't leave it parked in the driveway. Get out and make memories. It's ALL good.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Plus, the Escape comes standard with an awning, the others did not include one. I'm amazed, and very pleasantly surprised.

There are a number of items that are stock on the Escape 17 but are options you pay for on some of the other brands mentioned. Popular items such as:

Bike Rack Ready (2″ Receiver)
Interior LED lights
120 V exterior
12 Volt/USB Interior
Screen Door
Powered ceiling Fan & Maxxi Fan Roof vent cover
Stove range fan
Awning
2 outside LED lights
12,000 BTU Furnace
Powered Bathroom vent
Entry step
Mud flaps
Stove & sink covers
Microwave ready.
Full Over-Head Storage
sink in bathroom

to name just a few.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I wasn't aware of the 10% discount, that would have to factor in to some degree since so many of their options are a la carte.

Yeah, I'm surprised they do not point that out, and include a conversion tool on their site. My understanding, however is that they have as much business as they can handle right now, hence the 11 month wait time between order and pick-up.

See separate post regarding the 17'.
Where did you get 11 months? Not true according to my sources at Scamp.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #19

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not really out to sell anyone on an Escape. Home-grown, made in USA should play into your considerations as well, plus travel time/effort to pick it up, and many other considerations.

My purpose for doing this comparison, and, now, for posting my results, was just to make folks aware that the current exchange rate makes these various manufacturers much closer on price, so don't discount one (Escape ) without really considering what they offer.

For me this purchase is a lot of money . My house only cost me 25,500 . It now is worth close to a half million . The construction for your money is far superior in the Escapes which will translate to holding up better . It's your money . I work too hard for mine to not take that into consideration putting this much money out there . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Where did you get 11 months? Not true according to my sources at Scamp.
I believe the 10 per cent reference is to Scamp and the 11-month wait reference is to Escape.

Tags
casita, escape, scamp