Price Comparison: Scamp, Casita, Escape - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #81

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dont get worked up in a lather over it. Floyd and I have sat in person and argued many times... over Ford/Chevy's...and what have you. And he DID say that btw. No big deal. Enjoy your "Escape".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Darral, I think you are not being fair to Floyd saying such nonsense. Floyd strikes me as a serious man and I respect his opinions and his fondness of the Scamp design as he makes a good argument regarding the hardiness of rivet construction.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:08 AM   #82

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's nothing inherently wrong with rivets, other than a maintenance issue. There's just better attachment systems for all-molded-towables. If there wasn't progress in manufacturing, we'd all be driving Model T's! Yes, those vehicles worked well, but aren't we all glad Ford and other manufacturers decided to do better? I think it's the same with eggs. Modern manufacturers are doing better and constantly look for methods of improvement. In the end, it gets down to tug capability, budget and needed layout. They're all good! Just different...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #83

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Value has different definitions for different people. Fastening systems are a part of the value equation, but only a part. Scamp builds a quality trailer, with good value for the money. The rivet fastening system is tried and true for many decades now, and works well. The fact that the Escape doesn't use them wasn't the main reason I chose it. The two biggest factors for me were customization options and company reputation. I placed more value there. Do I think the fiberglassed block mounting is a better method? Sure. But, it comes at a premium, and that is always a consideration.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #84

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
So there will never be an issue of the wood supports rotting in an Escape? That's one thing I have wondered. Specially since they are not completely covered in fiberglass when attached to the outer shell.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #85

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Escape and others HAVE "OBVIATED" most of the goofy rivets by now. Why do you think you see SO many people on this forum jumping to and choosing Escape as their trailer of choice? Didnt the OP say that "Escape" wasnt a choice back then?? I wish they'd been around or I'd known about them before I bought my Scamp.

Scamp HAS made some much-needed changes over the past couple of years but they need to make MORE changes.
They don't use Goofy rivets...they switched to Mickey Mouse rivets years ago.

I think the Escape market went almost entirely to the overall expansion of of the demand for quality fiberglass construction in travel trailers.The specific choice for Escape is driven far more by the larger size (increasing with each new model) than by the REWFS construction method or the rejection of any other brand or construction methods. Proof of that is that Scamp sales are still at capacity even with several new brands and a doubling of production.
As you know the "R" in REWFS was added to aggravate you
(very successfully I might add) and it will be dropped when you drop your canard about through the hull fastening systems that other manufacturers have used successfully for decades, since it is about equally legitimate.

Escape was available when you bought your Scamp as was Trillium, both fine trailers which you failed to research, otherwise you would be finding fault with an Escape today instead of a Scamp!

I think that burial comment was either taken out of context or wishful thinking on your part.

Now, what about that adhesives comment, after all, cars are starting to have glued panels instead of welded. Wouldn't glue eliminate both problems and allow the versatility of rivets and a smooth exterior?

Change is inevitable, but it is not always improvement.
I have made changes to every vehicle and trailer I have owned, I think they were all improvements but I admit to being subjective.
Your trailer has many well executed changes which are all of course, "improvements".
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #86

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
So there will never be an issue of the wood supports rotting in an Escape? That's one thing I have wondered. Specially since they are not completely covered in fiberglass when attached to the outer shell.
Absolutely everything put together sooner or later falls apart, EWFS is a good method of construction, and properly cared for should last a lifetime, at which point YOU fall apart like everything else.

I have seen EWFS get infiltrated from neglected leaks and it is not a pretty sight, nor is it a desirable olfactory experience.

To be kept long term, everything requires care and maintenance.
There are products which require more effort than should be reasonably expected, but fiberglass travel trailers are not among them.

With very little care and cost any fiberglass travel trailer (including the Escape) will out last several Tow Vehicles then be sold at a premium when you grow tired of it or die.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #87

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
They'd rot perhaps if water ever got to them, but I can't see how that would happen - provided you inspect the possible infiltration points (roof vents, windows, etc.) and keep the seals maintained every few years or so.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #88

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
To paraphrase George Orwell (Animal Farm): All FG trailers require maintenance. Some trailers require more maintenance than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #89

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
They'd rot perhaps if water ever got to them, but I can't see how that would happen - provided you inspect the possible infiltration points (roof vents, windows, etc.) and keep the seals maintained every few years or so.
It should go without saying, but not all internal water damage is caused by rain seeping through poor/aging window, door, vent and seam seals. One can also encounter internal leaking faucets, drains and water pumps, cracked pipes and storage tanks, etc., etc. So it's prudent to periodically inspect for the presence of water and water damage along the routes of internal plumbing. If your water pump periodically kicks on when you're not using any water, that water is going somewhere. Just saying....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #90

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
We went ahead and sent a check for $15,000 US to Escape late last week. Today they deposited it with a conversion rate of $1.2980, so translates to $19,470 Canadian...wow. We may have to send them some more at this rate.
You might want to send off the rest of the money NOW - the Canadian dollar hit a 12 year low against the USA dollar today.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #91
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Yup, who woulda thunk that a US buyer would need to be grateful to China for devaluing their currency so a Canadian trailer would basically be on sale?

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #92

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Yup, who woulda thunk that a US buyer would need to be grateful to China for devaluing their currency so a Canadian trailer would basically be on sale?
The health of the Canadian economy is tied strongly to the price of oil so we were already taking a big nose dive before China's issues entered the picture.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #93

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
We just got a 1.31 conversion rate

We just sent another check to Tammy on our 17B, and got a conversion rate of 1.31 US to Canadian. If you are in the US and on the fence about ordering one, now is a really great time.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #94

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Greg that is great news for you guys. I know when I come over to see it, yall will have me drooling! Truthfully though, it sounds like yall are now saving a quite a bit of money!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #95

Arkansas
Registry
Just a fantastic time right now for buying an Escape, or any other canadian product for that matter. About $19,900 USD for an Escape 19? $16,300 for a 17? Super deal.

Even the higher end 5.0 TA has a base USD Price right now of about $22,900. Incredible.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:43 AM   #96

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Price Comparison: Scamp, Casita, Escape

I strongly believe that initial cost is NOT the only factor when determining value any commodity. To me, satisfaction is a big part of value.

To many here, it is no secret that I am not a Scamp fan. The one I had was fraught with problems. Maybe I just got a lemon, and maybe after two plus years I had finally addressed all of its shortcomings. While it is not my intention to bash Scamp (another member whom I respect suggested I might be doing that), I believe Scamp's QC/attention to detail could be improved.....a lot. Donna says love the one you are with and make memories. But when every trip you take results in the failure of some component or the discovery of something else needing attention, those memories may not be pleasant and love fades. Scamp makes a good trailer and I cannot/will not debate their longevity. But due to all the aggravation and lack of enjoyment, I couldn't love the one I was with, and I "divorced" her shall I say because of "irreconcilable differences." She has since moved in with someone else who, based on feedback, loves her. I do wish them a long and happy relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #97

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm not arguing for any trailer. So far we've camped in both a Casita 16 and a Scamp 16. We were happy in both spending over 7 months a year in them, taking them all over North America. To me Fiberglass trailers as a group are amazing in their longevity. They get the job done.

We always feel confident when traveling even in no where land. We've never owned an Escape but have been in them and traveled for most of two months with new Escape owners. They are a nice trailer and the exchange rate makes them a good buy.

Any problems we've had have mostly been minor, more due to age than design, our Scamp is now 25 years old.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #98

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
and Y'all know it's not about what you own, it's where you go and the memories you make along the way... right? All BRANDS/SIZES ARE GOOD

If anyone is looking for the perfect towable... keep looking. Ten Forward will become an Estate Problem for my only child, because I have a build that's perfect for me!

Love the one you're with!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #99

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
and Y'all know it's not about what you own, it's where you go and the memories you make along the way... right? All BRANDS/SIZES ARE GOOD

If anyone is looking for the perfect towable... keep looking. Ten Forward will become an Estate Problem for my only child, because I have a build that's perfect for me!

Love the one you're with!
I agree with you 100% Donna!!! After a few years of soul searching, the 5.0TA is the ONLY FGRV I would consider as a future replacement for our EggCamper. Of course they are the only 2 FGRV's I can stand up in also....
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #100

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
They don't use Goofy rivets...they switched to Mickey Mouse rivets years ago.

I think the Escape market went almost entirely to the overall expansion of of the demand for quality fiberglass construction in travel trailers.The specific choice for Escape is driven far more by the larger size (increasing with each new model) than by the REWFS construction method or the rejection of any other brand or construction methods. Proof of that is that Scamp sales are still at capacity even with several new brands and a doubling of production.
As you know the "R" in REWFS was added to aggravate you
(very successfully I might add) and it will be dropped when you drop your canard about through the hull fastening systems that other manufacturers have used successfully for decades, since it is about equally legitimate.

Escape was available when you bought your Scamp as was Trillium, both fine trailers which you failed to research, otherwise you would be finding fault with an Escape today instead of a Scamp!

I think that burial comment was either taken out of context or wishful thinking on your part.

Now, what about that adhesives comment, after all, cars are starting to have glued panels instead of welded. Wouldn't glue eliminate both problems and allow the versatility of rivets and a smooth exterior?

Change is inevitable, but it is not always improvement.
I have made changes to every vehicle and trailer I have owned, I think they were all improvements but I admit to being subjective.
Your trailer has many well executed changes which are all of course, "improvements".
Not all fiberglass RVs used Rivets. It really depends on what system they came up with for installing the various components. You don't have to use rivets, they just do so because it is fast to do it that way. It was always about cost savings.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, escape, scamp