Your best advice on painting Casita Frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Your best advice on painting Casita Frame

Hi,

I need to start out saying that I do not have a sand blaster, grinder or power washer. I do have a wire brush and elbow grease.

What I would like to do is to repaint my Casita's faded black and slightly rusted bumper and front frame. Having painted metal outdoor chairs I know that the Rustoleum products last a year or two and that seems to be about it. I'd like to find something better if possible.

I've looked at videos of some of the rust converters, G503RCMP and MroChem Blackstar, and wonder if they work and if they might be a good choice.

Happy and thanks for any advice you offer!

Mary
MaryLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
My as dvice is look into product called POR 15. Highly recommended here...do this once and you're done. Google to find their website!

Best,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

New York
Registry
Advice...apologies...
Old 07-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
My as dvice is look into product called POR 15. Highly recommended here...do this once and you're done. Google to find their website!

Best,
Wendy
I agree, POR 15 is the bomb. I repainted my entire frame with it. You can put it right on top of rust. Make sure you follow the pre-prep steps. Good luck with your project!
Attached Thumbnails
P1050007.jpg   P1050010.jpg  

Old 07-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #5

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Thanks for the info on Por 15. I read about it and it seems it does not adhere to painted surfaces. My bumper and front exposed frame is mostly faded black paint and some rust. Without the tools to get to bare metal, what other options might work.

The trailer frame looks amazing!
MaryLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:45 AM   #6

New York
Registry
It says on their website POR likes rusted surfaces, but if you have smooth, shiny painted surface you can prep it with their Metal Ready product for excellent results.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've used Por-15 before. It's thin and penetrates well and forms a hard surface.

Get small cans, once opened it's very hard to save what's left over.
With small cans you can use it all up. they have a "six pack".
POR-15® Six Pack - Black

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Por 15 will fade in areas exposed to sunlight. Its a great product to seal surface rust. I have used quite a bit of it in its proper application. Doesn't work as good on non rusted application.

I have great sucess with rustoleam paint and primer but you really have to clean your work and then use the rusty red primer first. One good coat of rusty red primer and then 2 coats of paint. Then maybe every 5 years a quick recoat on visible areas to keep it looking good. Never had it chip or peel in using the stuff in over 40 years. All with spray cans. If your using allot of it and brushing the paint don't buy it in larger cans than quarts if you live in environmental states. They sell an inferior version in the larger cans to meet regulations and it sucks.

If you want something better Eastwood has products for frame and chassis that work well and they have an internal frame coating with an application hose to spray inside the frame to seal and protect from further corrosion. It works well and does what it says it does. But you have slowly to get proper coverage.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:16 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
I've used Por-15 before. It's thin and penetrates well and forms a hard surface.

Get small cans, once opened it's very hard to save what's left over.
With small cans you can use it all up. they have a "six pack".
POR-15® Six Pack - Black

Joe
Once you open the can take out some and put it in another container. Then imediately put a plastic bag over the can and seal the lid back on. Then store it upside down. If you dont do this you will never get the can open again to use the left overs. If you do glue the lid shut then you will have to punch a hole in the can to get any more material out of the used can.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:57 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The FAQ page from the POR 15 company
POR-15 FAQ'S

Here is something I saw there that is interesting, the first is about using it over paint and the second is about using it to repair of all things...gel coat cracks. Plus you can use it with fiberglass cloth instead of resin for repairs on rusted metal. Who knew? I certainly never would have thought of using it for gel coat repair. It does come in clear and several other colors besides black.

CAN I APPLY POR-15 OVER OTHER PAINTS?
Yes, but you will lose the important benefits of POR-15. You must remember that ordinary paints are weakened by exposure to moisture. POR-15 can't stop rust if it isn't in direct contact with the base metal.

CAN POR-15 BE USED WITH FIBERGLASS?
Absolutely. POR-15 is fully compatible with fiberglass and can be used to repair cracks in gelcoat. It will adhere better than polyester resin and has greater strength. Use also with fiberglass cloth to make super-strong surfaces in rusted-out areas. But be aware that POR-15 doesn't contain styrene and thus cannot melt fiberglass cloth like polyester resin does.

I have a rusted metal repair in mind for their fiberglass cloth treatment. The area below the coach battery on a vintage Sunrader. Fix the rust and fix the hole at the same time...I like that!!!
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, paint, painting