Inherited a 1999 Casita Freedom Deluxe, help please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #1

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Inherited a 1999 Casita Freedom Deluxe, help please

My sister actually inherited this trailer and she gave it to me. It is in quite good condition except it had a leak around the fantastic fan. The leak seems to have gone on for a long time, as this trailer was parked in the driveway and untouched for some years. The floor is soft under the leak, and the carpet is pulled away on the ceiling around the fan. I have spent two days cleaning, and things are shaping up. My concern is mold or and mildew. The carpet on the ceiling does not smell after I cleaned it, but the trailer does a musty smell still. The floor is not a deal breaker at this point, but I wonder if it got wet for such an extended period of time, is it quite likely to have mold? I'm worried about an unhealthy environment. I plan on running an ozone machine asap. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
casitalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Since you're in Texas, the casita factory is in rice Texas and might be able to help with repairs. Especially if you're not really handy. There's also Little House Customs out of Houston, I think. Larry Gamble! A virtual wizard at fixes!!! I'll try to find his info for you.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #3

Registry
The URL: https://littlehousecustoms.com/
Old 07-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #4

Texas
Thank you! I called casita and they don't do repairs like this. After a lot of reading I think we are going to pull out the carpet and see what we are dealing with. Husband is handy, so we are hoping he can tackle it. He fixed the leak coming from the fan, so hopefully everything will dry out. Thanks for the reply and the info
Old 07-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #5

Texas
Thanks! They are actually only a few hours from me! I'm going to have hubby call them today!
Old 07-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #6

Registry
If the floor is soft below the leak, it has probably rotted. It is basically just particle board with the bottom side dipped in fiberglass resin, so is very prone to rot when water-soaked. repair is really just a handyman job. Pull off the carpet, it is probably full of mold, cut out the soggy partial board, replace with outdoor plywood, lay down whatever flooring you like and done. I used about a box and a half of cork tile on mine. supposed to be floating tile but such a small area, I just glued it down. Vinyl "tile" is a good choice as well, easy cleanup.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Bill,

I was/am under the impression the Casita floor is plywood and fiberglassed top and bottom, that is, sandwiched with fiberglass.

That is one important reason I bought the Casita over the Scamp.

I have not had the opportunity to look under the vinyl flooring.

Just to make absolutely certain I am understanding correctly, you are saying the Casita floor is particle board and only fiberglassed underneath, not on top.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #8

Tennessee
Correction, floor is1 /2" thick osb board (not plywood) encased in fiberglass. That is, fiberglass top and bottom. Holes are drilled through this for various reasons, and the edges are exposed.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #9

Texas
floor

We will have to pull the carpet up and see what is going on, I don't want the chance of mold growing under there, and the carpet is pretty musty and yuck. Wish us luck.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #10

Tennessee
Please let us know how this progresses and what you find.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
A picture log, before, during & after would be nice to have on file. Might be of help for others down the road too.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:42 PM   #12

Texas
update

New to this forum stuff, so here is a link to another thread on my disaster of a floor, hope to get better at navigating this site soon.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ner-80999.html

Tags
casita