Bigfoot Electrical Wiring Diagram 1983 17B trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #1

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1983 BigFoot B17
British Columbia
Bigfoot Electrical Wiring Diagram 1983 17B trailer

Hi,

We have a 1983 17B deluxe trailer. Recently my husband purchased a Tekonsha 90885 Prodigy P2 Electronic Brake Control
to wire up to our 2009 Toyota Tacoma. We knew the trailer had electric brakes but had not been using them.

Unfortunately he could not get the Tekonsha to recognize the brakes, so we have some trouble shooting to do.

My husband was wondering which wires are which when he is under the trailer. Just curious if anyone knows which colours are which or could point us in the direction of a handy diagram.

(A lot to ask with a 34 year old trailer!)

Thank you,

Rachel
(BigFoot owner as of September 2016)
keenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...es/1wiring.jpg This will help with the tow vehicle wiring.

Make sure you have power to the right locations at the rear of the tow vehicle, and generally trailers stayed with the "generally accepted" colors but some would use a colored strip on the wire.

The trailer brake wires come out of the wheels to the underside of the camper. They may follow frame up toward hitch or may go through floor into camper and join the wires run for trailer lights etc. You may well be able to see the brake wires there. Blue is common color but they should also have a ground (possibly white) Or should have a ground.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenie82 View Post
Hi,

We have a 1983 17B deluxe trailer. Recently my husband purchased a Tekonsha 90885 Prodigy P2 Electronic Brake Control
to wire up to our 2009 Toyota Tacoma. We knew the trailer had electric brakes but had not been using them.

Unfortunately he could not get the Tekonsha to recognize the brakes, so we have some trouble shooting to do.

My husband was wondering which wires are which when he is under the trailer. Just curious if anyone knows which colours are which or could point us in the direction of a handy diagram.

(A lot to ask with a 34 year old trailer!)

Thank you,

Rachel
(BigFoot owner as of September 2016)

As always if must ask electrical questions here, take it to somebody that knows what to look for and understands electricity.

NOW THAT I've said that most electric brake problems are associated with ground wire coming from the magnets. The wire coming out of the backing plate should be blue for the positive and I don't remember the ground color.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #4

British Columbia
Could you please delete this thread. My apologies I did not mean to come across as ignorant.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenie82 View Post
Could you please delete this thread. My apologies I did not mean to come across as ignorant.
I've been towing my Escape for +8 years and before that a tent trailer. Had issues recently with my left turn signal and brake.
Tried to troubleshoot it myself with my 4-pin and 7-pin testers.
Then I gave up and made an appointment at a hitch shop. Cost me $180, but they replaced everything in the tow vehicle ( cheaper than trying to isolate the problem at $90 / hr shop labor ). Cost was $54 labor plus parts and taxes.
I'm now a happy camper.
It can be difficult for those who know what they are doing, and for the rest of us, worse.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Rachel, you did not come off as ignorant. It is a good question. The solution may be tough, however. Not everyone has a nearby mechanic who can readily troubleshoot such things. My nearest shop may be only 20 miles away, but it takes 90 minutes to get there through Chicago traffic.

Hopefully more folks will come along with troubleshooting suggestions. I would check out the brake ground wires for sure, too, as suggested. You will probably need to get a multimeter to check power at various wires.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I will post your question on Bigfootowner's forum. Maybe they have an answer.

CindyL
Old 07-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Kevin -- great trailer place in Villa Park on St. Charles -- I've been very happy with. Suburaban Trailers
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #9

Thanks, Eric.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Responses from other Bigfoot owners on that forum:

Well it could be 0ne of three things Is your controller working with your truck, the wiring from truck to trailer, or the magnets are not working on your trailer. Get a 12volt test light plug in trailer to truck, You can check wiring to brakes as it is around your axle.If there is no power there it is trailer plug or truck problem. Good Luck...

Test lights work to test the socket on the truck and at the brakes. Make sure you have a good ground contact for the test light. I usually test the lights and 12V hot connector on the truck to make sure the test light is working. I've heard that you can test the magnets on the trailer with a compass but the iron of the brake assembly will affect the compass too. Look for a deviation of the needle when activating the brakes. You will have to manually activate the brakes at the controller as the controller needs motion to do it when stepping on the brake pedal. I had to redo the connections at the brakes on my 25RQ as most of the factory crimps had corroded. Use heat shrinks to avoid the corrosion in the future. The brake assembly can freeze up due to lack of use too. You have to disassemble them and clean/lubricate the pivot points.
Having the brakes working on your setup would be important from a safety standpoint.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #11

British Columbia
greatly appreciate the responses

From a safety point of view this is very important to us to get this sorted out. My husband is very handy and my brother in law is an electrician. With all the suggestions I am crossing my fingers we will get this sorted out.

Very much appreciate everyone's responses and warm welcome.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #12

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
every once in a while...

somebody comes on here looking for a wiring diagram for a Bigfoot....I don't think one ever existed as nobody has ever come up with one.

My trailer is a later model than yours (97) and things could have changed.....but FWIW....light blue is the breaks (from/for brake controller), dark blue is the breakaway switch....

good luck...sounds like you'll figure it out eventually
(I include these pics just to show you how and what wires first enter the trailer...obviously my elec. system has been completely modified from stock)
Attached Thumbnails
eproject3a.jpg   eproject3b.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #13

British Columbia
Just wanted to update that he figured it out last Thursday with his friend. Someone had put a plastic crimper on to connect wiring as it entered the trailer, and these pieces were not connecting. There were also issues with the magnets near the electric brakes.

It is really quite good he did fix them because on Friday we were driving camping and had to slam on the brakes when a mama deer and her fawn crossed the road. Having the brakes fixed saved their lives, and definitely protected ours too.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #14

Glad to hear you found the problem and are safe!

Tags
bigfoot, electrical