VIN # problems 1984 U-Haul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
VIN # problems 1984 U-Haul

I'm looking at a 1984 13' U-Haul. Very good shape for $2,600.
The guy says he has the clear title so I go to pick it up and compare the VIN #'s and they don't match.
If this trailer is stolen , I would definitely like the owner to see this so I'm posting both VIN's.
The Vin on the trailer is-
3878CT1238
The Vin on his title is-
14HU101C8ED466249

I'm going to the State police Monday to have them run the original number and his titled number.

I had a '77 13' Trillium and was an active member back then. Had to sell it because of divorce and am hoping to get another...I really liked that Trillium!

Here's a link to my Trillium build when I was here before.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ics-49850.html
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
U Haul numbers.

Check out post 25 of the attached link thread. I think Chris worked for U haul. One number is a U haul rental number. The VIN is 17 digits. Search U Haul VIN on this site. Seems like others have had issues finding and figuring out the U Haul numbering system and VIN location. You need to locate the VIN, I would do that prior to contacting the police. A 1984 trailer should have a 17 digit VIN.
Eddie
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-57590-2.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The shorter number is a Uhaul company ID number I believe. Usually stenciled on the rear ahead of the bumper. The longer number is the VIN # and may be located on the tongue or a sticker on the lower left front of the shell or on a sticker inside the cabinet door under the sink. There may be a pipe under the trailer with paperwork in it. Edit: there may be a plate welded to the frame rearward of the left wheel. It could be painted over and hard to find
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #4

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
YOU said the numbers don't match.

Where do you think the VIN number is located and where did you look for the VIN number?

Did you just rely on the sticker that typically located on the fiberglass body at the lower left front of the trailer?

The CT13's I have owned have had the actual VIN stamped in a metal plate under the trailer in the middle on one of the chassis cross spars. Very easy to see if you know where to look.

I have also seen the VIN stamped in the frame in front of the propane tank holder. May be covered by paint however a little scrapping and you should find if located there.

Uhaul camper trailers where built in 5 different plants by different vendors contracted to Uhaul.

I suggest you personally again go look to make SURE the that you are looking at the correct VIN number (Not the Uhaul inventory number) before you go and start calling the cops and raining on the seller's parade.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #5

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Yea...And sometimes they just don't match... I bought a 13' Scamp on line from a County Sheriff Office Auction in Missouri one time.. It came with all the paperwork and all of it was wrong and fabricated... The title said it was a 1965 Model and Scamp wasn't in business in 1965... The only thing that saved me on that one was the that the State of Alabama doesn't require titles on RV's older than 1981... even today they will not issue titles on any of my campers even though I have Title from the other states in which I bought them.....

Vehicles Not Requiring an AL Title

You do not need to title your vehicle if it is:
  • 35 years old or older.
  • A travel trailer that is 20 years old or older.
  • A manufactured home that is 20 years old or older.
  • Owned by you, but you are not a resident of Alabama.
  • A vehicle used for husbandry.
  • An all-terrain vehicle.
  • A boat.
  • An off-road vehicle.
  • A snowmobile.
  • A utility trailer.
  • Owned by the U.S. government.
It can be a little daunting when it comes to selling one, most people want a newly registered title but in my case that is not possible... And I've always wondered what the Sheriff's Office in Mo. did...Did they just make something up and just guess at the age... How did they get a Title on something and it be so wrong...The age was wrong.. The length was wrong... The serial number was wrong (I sanded the tongue and found the correct serial number).. Luckily I found a elderly man who wanted it to setup on some property he had and used it to shoot coyotes here in Alabama, it's probably there still today....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, vin