How have you improved your Eggcamper? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #21

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Our improvements generally fall into the decor and storage categories as we bought our 13' Scamp new. The photos show our black out shade and decorative side panel curtains with tie-backs. I use Velcro as much as possible because the hook side attaches firmly to the rat fur covered walls and ceiling. I change the side panel curtains according to my changing decor themes. The photo doesn't show this, but I keep the original cream colored curtains in the middle.

Our bedding system is very comfortable and easy to store. The bedding is two comforters 90" x 72". When the bed is "made" we fold the comforter in half (45" x 72") and place them flat on the bed. The photo shows that they are attached to each other with a loop and button system that allows us to use one or two comforters without having them slip off us at night. One photo shows a long tube (from a fabric store). We roll up the comforters and place the roll crosswise over the dinette cushions, under the table for storage when the dinette is set up.

Another set of photos shows our removable custom made cushions covered in cotton knit (think T-shirt fabric) over custom-cut thermafoam mattress topper; very cozy! You can see in the photo that we roll up the foam toppers and bind with a luggage strap. The bundles fit perfectly in the dinette bench hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 020.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 025.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 026.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 027.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 028.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 032.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 033.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #22

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Perpall View Post
Hi Jill,
I purchased my Eggcamper Sept. 2011. Your PO John was kind enough to let me see the camper before I ordered one for myself. It was not for sale at that time. I drove down from Jacksonville to see for myself. Ordered one when I got back to Jax. Yours looks very nice. Keep having fun. Mine is also listed on this site.
Wayne Perpall
Wow, you got yours just after we got ours. We're down in Jupiter. Funny thing is we have a niece and her hubby living up there in JAX.

Small world...

Jason

PS: I need to get some pictures of the inside - we have stained the doors darker, changed the problematic white microwave for a stainless model with door lock, and added a tv and blue ray player.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #23

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
having looked over the egg campers, i'd say the best improvement you can do is #1 load a coffee pot on board
#2 put some wear and tear on it camping a lot.

after that it will sugjest things to you on its own.

remember, god does not count time camping against your life span.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #24

California
Registry
Here are some organizational tips with photos.
1. Choose items that nest and are multi-purpose when possible. Rubbermaid makes great nesting containers that double as mixing bowls or salad bowls.

2. Cookware from a backpacking or boating store nest nicely and have "folding" handles.

3. Making dividers for the "silverware" drawer are soooo helpful.

4. Plastic shoe boxes fit best in every nook and crannie. I got mine from The Container Store. They also have 1/2 size shoe boxes that are also handy. Be sure to label them clearly so you know the contents.

5. Since the photo was take we have replaced the hanging garbage bag with a small, metal pop-top (with foot lever) can that holds grocery bags. The top keeps the smells out and we throw out our garbage before heading to bed.

I've done a lot to vary the decor of our camper but don't have photos as yet and don't expect to take any until the spring.

'Hope these ideas help. I always love to learn what other people do to make their camping experience more efficient, more beautiful and most of all, more fun!
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 006.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 007.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 008.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 037.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 038.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 039.jpg  

Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #25

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Eggcampers in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Wow, you got yours just after we got ours. We're down in Jupiter. Funny thing is we have a niece and her hubby living up there in JAX.

Small world...

Jason

PS: I need to get some pictures of the inside - we have stained the doors darker, changed the problematic white microwave for a stainless model with door lock, and added a tv and blue ray player.
Nice to meet other EggCamper owners in Florida.

Wayne
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #26

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
We are in Florida too! Dan and I live just north of Tampa.

We really do need to do a Florida egg camper meet-up.
Newfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #27

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Hey Ray N: how did you install those shelves?
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont View Post
Hey Ray N: how did you install those shelves?
The wood shelves rest on small hardwood blocks attached to the walls of the camper with epoxy cement. Use a level to identify positions, then carefully cut away any insulation to get down to bare wall - just enough to allow room for each block. Apply the epoxy and hold the blocks in position with duct tape until set. The most difficult part was getting the correct shapes for the shelves. I used lightweight card stock which I pressed and folded into position and then traced that onto lightweight plywood for cutting with a jigsaw. I attached some thin board to the edges to form a lip. I believe I used screws to attach the shelves to the hardwood blocks. The bottom wire shelves are standard items from, (I believe), Walmart. I securely fastened them together with zip ties and tied them to another hardwood block to keep them in place in the closet.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #29

California
Registry
My husband built wood shelves in our closet without attaching anything permanently to the trailer. This is how it was done. He installed four uprights in the corners, cut in half so as to easily insert into closet, and bolted the two pieces together when placed in the closet. He drilled evenly spaced holes into the uprights (prior to installing) so the shelves could be adjustable using L-shaped metal shelf supports. Two shelves were permanent for stability. The bottom shelf, above the wheel well lifts up for access and rests on a horizontal frame with an opening. The top shelf is a half shelf for easy access above the closet door opening. It is a carpentry challenge to deal with the curving sides. Sorry, I have no photos.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #30

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Has anyone installed a MaxxFan 5100 (the kind with the larger overlapping lid and grill to keep rain out) on their EggCamper using the original central 14"x14" fan opening? If so, how did you deal with the fiberglass rib that runs down the middle of the roof from front to rear? Doesn't that raised rib keep the extended fan lid from closing completely when in transit? It seems it could be mounted at a 90 degree angle with the longer lid extending out to a side rather than to the rear, and that would be fine when you're set up at camp, but will it catch too much wind from it's side while going down the interstate and rip the lid off? It's already a tight fit at the top backing our camper under our shed, so we don't want to lift the fan above the rib using a spacer because it might not fit in the shed anymore, and that would introduce more places that could potentially leak. Any good ideas out there?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #31

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
I replaced the original vent/fans with two Maxxfans on our EggCamper. The original vents were installed on either side of the seam. They didn't straddle the seam. Unless they changed the design for the 2010 model, there's plenty of room to install the 5100 with the cover facing to the rear, according to the instructions. Of all the mods that I've done to our EggCamper, that was one of the best. I don't have a photo with the Maxxfans installed, but here's a photo of the rooftop, prior to installing the 5100s.
Attached Thumbnails
RoofTop-1.JPG  
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #32

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Perhaps you could grind down the seam somewhat and reseal, we are probably talking about maybe no more than 1-2" in the rear portion, correct?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #33

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
For whatever reason, on our EggCamper, the roof vent fan is right smackdab in the middle. Seeing the top of Ron's camper, rather than trim away some of the rib and patch what's left, it might be just as well to leave the original fan in place (maybe replace it with a MaxxFan 4000 series that will still fit within the existing gap in the rib), and then bite the bullet and have a new hole cut for a second fan near the back over the bed, opposite side from the waste water vent in the front, and mount a 5100 there. We're used to sleeping with a ceiling fan over our bed, and since the 5100 has a ceiling fan mode, that might be just the answer. I don't think it would be hard to run an electrical wire the short distance through the roof to pigtail power off the existing fan.

I've also e-mailed Jim at EggCamper to see if he has ideas or has heard from others who have successfully done what I originally asked about. But again, installing a second fan off-center back over the bed is sounding better all the time. Thanks, Dale
Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #34

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My 2007 had 2 vent openings, one over the bed curbside of the seam and one over dinette, streetside of the seam.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #35

Trailer: Eggcamper 2009
Great pics & ideas. I also own an Egg Camper. It has a 2 gallon hot water heater. What hot water bypass kit do you recommend? Also, which fan (model) do you recommend for replacement of the fans that come with the EGG. I need to replace both of my fans.
Maxxfan or Fantastic Fan? Easy to replace?
Thanks in advance.
Dennis O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #36

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Dale ,
Did you hear anything back from Jim about installing the Maxxfan 5100k in the middle seam? We just ordered this Maxxfan, so we are very interested in any information you find because our original "fan" is in the middle seam. We do not have a garage, so no problem for us with a bit of additional height.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #37

Colorado
Letitia,

Yes. Jim passed the info and pictures I sent on to his engineer. The engineer said the 5100 model won't seal closed because of the height of the center rib. Since it's okay to drive down the road with the 5100 model open, we could go ahead and install it flush to the roof if we are willing to accept that it will not completely close or seal shut. Or we could fabricate a spacer to raise the 5100 about 1 inch above the roof line, then it will seal closed above the rib. We're not really willing to do either at this point. We're currently considering either a MaxxFan 4000 series model that doesn't have the anti-rain overhang cap or simply going with a Fantastic Fan (although some have said the moisture sensor that closes the cap when it rains has it's flaws). I guess another option would be to cut a new hole off center to get away from the rib, but we're not willing to do that either - yet.

We'll probably just keep running the little factory-installed fan unit we get mad at it or have some divine inspiration about Maxxfan vs. Fantastic Fan. I'm curious to see what responses Dennis O gets to his post on the issue.

Dale
Old 09-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #38

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Dale,
It's disappointing that the vent is in the center of the roof... apparently a design change from the 2007 model, which had two vents offset from the centerline. Likewise the 2-gallon water heater. Our 2007 model came with a 6-gallon electric water heater. I later installed propane and a combo gas/electric Atwood water heater. I still have the original if anyone wants it. Just pay the shipping.
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #39

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Thanks for all the information....when I ordered the fan, I did not have a clue that it would not close 😳 so we will look into the idea of the 1" spacer. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the material we should use for that spacer? 😕
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #40

Colorado
You could start by contacting Jim at the factory. With the growing popularity of upgrading to the MaxxFan 5100 model, it seems like he would want to fabricate an inexpensive spacer to keep his loyal EggCamper owners happy. Worth a shot, anyway. I understand there would be more cost involved, but think it would be a good idea if they would change the mold to accommodate the 5100 and to even make it the stock fan from the factory, but that's probably a stretch. If not Jim, then maybe a local fiberglass boat repair shop would have some ideas on how to fabricate a spacer that would seal against the rain and wind. Let me know what you come up with, and I'll let you know if we have any better ideas from this end. Dale

Tags
eggcamper