Any "Egg Heads" in the San Francisco Bay Area? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

Name: Clive
Trailer: Thinking of buying an Egg Camper
California
Any "Egg Heads" in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Howdy!

Does anyone know of any opportunities to check out an Egg Camper on the left coast?

I literally tripped over the Fiberglass RV world a couple of weeks ago and I am totally in love. I've wanted to RV for a while but RVs I see driving down the road simply aren't me. I want something simpler and more personal and more reasonably proportioned. After all it's just me, wife and our two (large) dogs.

The problem I have is (1) I'm 6'5" tall, (2) It seems the Egg Camper is the only setup I don't need to kneel down in, (3) the Egg Campers are made in MI and rarer than hens teeth out here in the land of Rice-A-Roni.

I'm tempted to just take a couple of weeks and drive out to MI but I think that would be the last straw for my long suffering better half.

So, does anyone know a way to step inside an Egg Camper without the drive to Michigan?

Thanks in advance and Happy Trails!!

Clive

PS As best I can tell the Egg Camper is the only setup where I can avoid carving a hole in the roof for a turret. If I am wrong, please enlighten me!
Clive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Call Scamp in Minn. ask for the Sales Dept. Scamp Travel Trailers: Small Lightweight Campers, Easily Towable

They have owners/volunteers that will show you their trailers in CA, they get a referral fee if you buy a new one. Most just like showing their rigs.

Another option is going to an Egg Fest, here is one in Mid-California starting on May 2nd http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ark-54934.html
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I'm in the Bay area, but I can tell you that you won't fit in one of the older Scamps like my '77. My hub is 6'5 and he has to duck. I think the newer ones are taller though. Good idea about going to the San Lorenzo Rally. Good hunting. Hope you find something that just fits!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #4

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Parkliners have a 6'5 interior. ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers - Apparently the owner is tall and wanted room to stand up.

I, too, had never seen a fiberglass rv, so I went out to Pleasanton a few weeks ago to visit a couple of Trillium trailers:

ALL NEW TRILLIUM 4500 CORNER RESTROOM - Inventory | The RV Store at Alameda County Fairgrounds |RV, Motorhome, travel trailer, toy hauler, class A, class B, class C, new RV?s, used RV?s, parts, service, propane, parts store, Pleasanton, Dublin, Liver

They said they'd be getting in some Bigfoots. I just checked their website and it looks like they aren't in yet. Bigfoot lists an interior height of 6'4 in their models. 2500 Series Travel Trailers - Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer

I'm 5'10 and I had clearance in the Trillium but not a lot. Maybe a couple of inches, maybe a bit more. What I got out of the trip was an idea of how big they are, and aren't. Turns out my wife thought the 4500 (15 foot) was big enough for us. So...that's a good start.

If there is an Eggcamper out here, I'd love to go visit it, as that is also a model I'm interested.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Spec for 19' Escape is 6'5" interior height.
The 17' Escape is 6'2".

If you go to http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/
which is a sister forum to FGRV you can get more info on Escape and talk to owners.

And, remember, as you age, you will get shorter.

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
There will be a fiberglass camper rally up in Southern Oregon (Bandon) in mid July. It is probably the largest fiberglass camper rally on the west coast. I would be surprised if an "egg" or two didn't show up. I went to a rally in Quartzite and one of everything was represented there. Reserve one of the yurts for a night or two and have a great time checking out all the trailers. Better reserve soon though.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Clive to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here!

I can thoroughly understand why tall people find these eggs lacking in interior height. But remember, in the long run it's not if you can standup in the trailer it's more if you can lay down and sleep! Maybe that's why tall people don't seem to mind teardrops

This will be my 10th year of attending the Oregon Gathering and I've never seen an EggCamper in person. That's not to say it won't happen this year. However, attending a large gathering is an excellent way to see many different brands/models and I highly recommend going for that reason alone.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I've only seen 1 Egg Camper and that was at the Minden, NE gathering in 2008. They were from some place in the East or maybe South.

I've never seen one out here in the West.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Here's a link to the Quartzite gathering. John writes the blog "Just finding our way". Scroll down and it'll show a selection of "eggs" including a real "Egg Camper" and it's west of the Mississippi by golly! LOL!
Just Finding Our Way: Quartzsite Again
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I have a 2011 13' Scamp that is parked in American Canyon while I live in San Anselmo (North of SF). My husband is 5"10" and can barely stand upright in it and barely fits in the bed while lying down side to side. We drove to Minnesota to pick up our trailer and had a wonderful trip both directions, without and with the trailer. Contact me if you'd like to talk about new Scamps.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
A rally is the perfect place to shop for a fiberglass trailer.

Hello and Welcome to the Fiberglass camper world.

You might want to join us at the 10th Annual 2013 FiberglassRV Rally @ San Lorenzo Regional Park, May 2nd through May 6th. If you currently don't have a camper bring your tent. San Lorenzo has a grassy tent area with water & electric. San Lorenzo Park is located in King City, CA. which is located 3 hours south of San Francisco.

We're expecting 37 fiberglass trailers, just mentioning a few, Casita, Scamp, Burro, Bigfoot, U-Haul, Little Joe, Tango, Escape.

Hubby and I attended a Fiberglass rally to find our trailer. A rally is the perfect place to shop for a fiberglass trailer.
Anne3358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that Clive is looking for an EggCamper (tm), not a egg camper, as they must be a bit taller inside. But I agree with several other posts. Unless he is a single camper, width/bed size might be a bigger concern than inside height with a smaller FGRV.

It might be a good idea to try renting one for a short trip before buying.

BTW: I am a San Francisco native and I had never heard of Rice-a-Roni until it was advertised as being "The San Francisco treat". Now, a Fosters sourdough english muffin, dripping with butter and crispy peaks, that's a San Francisco treat.

And there were the very unique desserts served at the now long gone Magnolia ThunderPussy, but that dates me back to the era of "Hair".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #13

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
BTW: I am a San Francisco native and I had never heard of Rice-a-Roni until it was advertised as being "The San Francisco treat". Now, a Fosters sourdough english muffin, dripping with butter and crispy peaks, that's a San Francisco treat.

And there were the very unique desserts served at the now long gone Magnolia ThunderPussy, but that dates me back to the era of "Hair".
Yum...great idea for what to have with my coffee this morning! I migrated to SF in the late 70's on a vacation of sorts...fed up with East Coast winter. When I lived on Clayton, by the panhandle, heard some stories about Magnolia's ice cream delights. Wow..don't think I've heard of her or her place mentioned since then! Anyway I date myself all the time...it's how i get the best action!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper