How I did the curtains in our Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #1

Name: Kamala
Trailer: Casita
Texas
How I did the curtains in our Casita

Curtains!! The real story behind this little bit of sharing. I know that there are many good ways to block incoming light. I've seen them actually in hindsight via the forums--after I made our Casita curtains. My curtains have worked smoothly and effectively for two years now so I felt someone out there might benefit and like the way I did them.

Some people hate the mini-blinds and have taken them out completely. I understand this, but we have come to like the ability to let a little light in, direct the light in a particular direction, or just being able to peek out. But, when closed, they don't cut out enough light to my satisfaction and don't give me a complete privacy feeling when they are closed. So the idea of curtains-blind combination is great.

Plus, our little dog we adopted from an animal rescue with separation anxiety, who is actually now much more calm, but still gets quite anxious and will claw at the window trying to tell us that she doesn't want to be left alone, when we're doing just that--leaving her alone. So, in my design, I needed curtains that were split, so I could drop the side covering the screen part of the window (thus saving the screen) and leaving the glass side exposed so she can see out.

We added an extension to the aluminum L-shaped support. The extension is attached to a wooden rod which runs through the curtain.

I measured windows and sewed the hems. The top hem was large enough to run a wood rod through. The bottom hem would accommodate a light PVC pipe. The PVC pipe would add enough weight to unroll the curtains as later shown. I purchased a used dark blue sheet from Savers (my hubby previously stated we're cheap, but a sheet is a lot of material) then sewed the darker material on what would be street side. We then ran pole through the top hem of the curtains. The pole is then connected to the metal extension. We also attached a nylon cord to the attachment (again this is street side).

Once attached to the extension, we screwed in two eye screws in the front of the rod to run the cord through.

I added loops on the cord that hook on the 'famous' drapery slip-on hooks (we Casita-ians use to hang things on the carpet lining our fiberglass walls) to keep the curtain from flopping when let down. I can also pull it taut after hooked.

I've included additional photos and a video on my travel blog that shows how nice they roll up or down.
I did all this right after our purchase. Inside, it's been dark enough for the brightest of campgrounds. We're ready for the night of the midnight sun!

Please note, I post to multiple forums. Some people only belong to one forum and others belong to more forums than I do. I'm just sharing.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #2

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
Thanks Kamala! My sewing machine and I will be reunited in June. Can't wait to try this.
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #3

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
That is such a good idea, thanks
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #4

Texas
Eileen, Zac & Cathy,
So glad you liked them!
Tailwinds and smooth roads to ya!
kamalamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I like your simple rolling shade idea very much! I've been looking for a simple way to raise and lower my custom black-out shades which are made out of Ron-Loc, a standard black-out drapery liner available at most home sewing stores. So far, I've basically just hand rolled them. Your method is much niftier! The photos show my present set-up. One change from the photo is that I have a dowel in the bottom hem.

Personally, I like having curtains. During the day I have privacy and light because the eggshell colored curtains cover the windows in the middle. I change the outside panels with novelty prints which coordinate with my interior of the moment. At night, when I want to block out artificial lights I simply lower the black-out (and insulating) shade and it "sticks" to the rat fur with hook & loop tape (VELCRO) on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 019.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I like your simple rolling shade idea very much! I've been looking for a simple way to raise and lower my custom black-out shades which are made out of Ron-Loc, a standard black-out drapery liner available at most home sewing stores. So far, I've basically just hand rolled them. Your method is much niftier! The photos show my present set-up. One change from the photo is that I have a dowel in the bottom hem.

Personally, I like having curtains. During the day I have privacy and light because the eggshell colored curtains cover the windows in the middle. I change the outside panels with novelty prints which coordinate with my interior of the moment. At night, when I want to block out artificial lights I simply lower the black-out (and insulating) shade and it "sticks" to the rat fur with hook & loop tape (VELCRO) on the bottom.
Nice! To roll them, you need a stable side and a moving side. I think you might need a larger roll (like a pvc pipe) to get that rolling effect. It's really quite magical. My husband went along with my scheme and was pleasantly surprised that it worked (insert smile here) I didn't think of velcro sticking to the rat fur. Will have to try that!

Tags
casita