Cost of a fiamma awning and cable installation for 2003 casita? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #1

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Cost of a fiamma awning and cable installation for 2003 casita?

Hi please help, because camping world isn't able to give me a good estimate unless I bring in the trailer, which I am making an offer on so I don't own it.

It is a 2003 casita spirit deluxe with no awning, and no cable tv installation nor regular tv installation.

What is the cost to order and install the awning? That's the most important to me. I really don't see the point of camping without a nice awning to give shade so we can hang out.

What is the cost of cable installation? Many parks offer free cable tv. Camping World thought that it might cost as much as $600 and they'd have to run it through the ceiling which makes no sense to me since casitas are single walled.

Thanks!!!
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Your best bet would be to get some pics (Of a Casita and the awning) and take them in and show them what you're doing and MAYBE they could give you a closer estimate. I would look for a more "mom-n-pop" style RV shop instead of Camping World. I hear they're shop prices have gone through the roof.

My Scamp awning bolts go THROUGH the wall as you speak of. It's attached with special-made aluminum brackets that's fastened to my Scamp with bolts from the outside and nyloc nuts (dont think they even used washers) on the inside. Here's a picture of it as it came from the factory. The ONLY thing is, the fasteners came out in closet/cabinets so they're not seen from the inside.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...7633366995497/
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #3

Georgia
$130 hour at camping world and they don't seem to know casitas, so I agree!!
Old 05-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Jen, if you haven't already you may want to join and post on the Casita forum, Lots of helpful folks there and they know exactly how things are usually done on Casita's. Lots of these things are generic but it often helps to see pics of mounting etc on a specific egg esp if the shop you choose hasn't done much work on them before. Also if you are handy you may find you could DIY with some direction
Casita Travel Trailer Forum
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile An alternative?

Maybe a boat shop could do the work since they should be used to fiberglass, of course, they are probably expensive also.

Think out of the box of a friend or relative that may have some smarts, car body repair fiberglass?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I ran an RG6 coax for cable TV in a couple of trailers. It cost about $25 for parts ( cable ,terminations ,outside wp cover ,wall plate with cable jack ,tyraps) Took a little over an hour to install. $250 seems a more reasonable price , $660 is out of line IMHO.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

Georgia
Thanks, all. Steve, the owner says it will only need me (or someone) to drill a hole and put a cover over it, I'm a little suspicious. I also have to install a tv stand of some kind, I think. Your price seems more realistic.

I guess I'd earmark $1000 for the awning and installation, should I have to go to camping world after all.

The casita is very clean but seems overpriced, compared to others of its age, even though the owner was somewhat negotiable. So I'm torn, because camping without an awning really is somewhat restrictive. The shade you get from an awning in summer, with a nice fan going, is significant. You don't want to be sitting indoors all the time, and dappled light from tree shade often moves with the sun. So adding in the awning brings the price back up, whereas I see others around the forums that have upgrades, awnings, etcetera, for better prices. OTOH, driving to see them is a *hassle*... ;-)

The tv matters less to me but if campgrounds give free cable, why not use it sometimes? Can watch movies on DVD, tho.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Many fgrv folks opt for a screen house instead of an awning for proof against bugs and location flexibility, not to mention cost.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our Casita 17 has a place on the outside to connect the TV cable and a roll-out awning. On our Uhaul 13 I installed a bag awning ($225 or so) and ran a TV cable in the access hatch where the electric & water hookup is. I have about 8 feet of cable that I just coil up and stuff in the access hatch box. TV sets on a cutting board on the sink or stove, SIMPLE & CHEAP. As for the awning, we don't sit under it hardly ever, we have a 12 X 12 screen room and a 10 X 10 EZ-up type canopy, another cheap alternative.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #10

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
Call Casita and tell them the year and model and ask them the installed price.

If you do want to try and install it yourself or get someone else to do, Casita has the mounting brackets you need in there store for around 50 bucks. The awning is around 800 bucks or so I think.

Personally I would look at something like the Clam Corporation 9281 Quick-Set Escape Shelter or the new bigger one instead of spending all that money for an awning. My used Casita came with an awning but the PO owner somehow bent it in the middle so I have to keep it strapped in when travelling. It looks ugly but works fine. The awnings seem fairly easy to damage.
Patxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #11

Georgia
awning

I understand that one can set up screen rooms--which need to be unpacked, staked down--and to really provide adequate shade, in my experience, you'll need the kind that have roll down walls as well, because the sun is at an angle and the amount of shade at times can be surprisingly small. We are on our laptops a *lot*--work while camping--so we would want the awning.

Appreciate all the advice.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our screen room has roll up sides and poles to put one side up as an awning. we have extra poles to put up more sides as awnings but rarely do so
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0360.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:15 PM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
I understand that one can set up screen rooms--which need to be unpacked, staked down--and to really provide adequate shade, in my experience, you'll need the kind that have roll down walls as well, because the sun is at an angle and the amount of shade at times can be surprisingly small. We are on our laptops a *lot*--work while camping--so we would want the awning.

Appreciate all the advice.
Well you need to stake down the awning legs and probably will want sides for it also for the shade. You need to take it up whenever you are going to be away from camp. And if you have much (any) wind or rain coming, you should take it up.
But if you really want one, get Casita or Larry at Little House Customs (also in Texas) to do it so thats it done correctly or do it yourself if you have the skills. Don't let camping world or anyone not use to dealing with fiberglass do it.
Patxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:51 AM   #14

Georgia
I would hope I don't have to drive to Texas to install an awning. Seems like its not that challenging a task that only casita can do it?
Mary and Bob, thanks for the pix.
Screen rooms don't always fit on campsite driveways, do they?
But anyway this casita is not mine at the moment. The price, even after negotiating, is high in comparison to others of its age, its in good condition but has no upgrades to justify that price (not only awning but say, high lift axle or various common mods). I might do it anyway but not sure.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:24 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jen don't let not having an awning on a trailer you're looking at cause you to loose a nice trailer. You do realize that this time of year the prices are high? I've had awnings on all the RV's I've had except my Casita and pretty much always had them out but we really didn't sit under them often and I mostly camp in the desert. They were more useful when it rained than for shade. So far I really haven't missed not having an awning on the egg. After all the large awnings on the other rigs it almost seems a waste of a $1000 for such a small patch of shade. I do take an Easy Up type cover depending on where we're going. Yes, a separate shade cover can be a pain to carry and use compared to a mounted awning. But after 40 years of camping not having one would not be a deal breaker on a nice trailer. Just two cents worth, YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:52 AM   #16

Georgia
Thank you, Dave. I hear your point. For whatever reason, I've rarely used screen shelters when camping. Perhaps because they are expensive if you want one that's well made. I like Paha Que, of course, for canopies and shelters. I may PM you and another on this thread for a little advice. Many thanks.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:00 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jen, I'm a single traveler. Shelters are often difficult to put up when you're alone and there's no one to assist. The crank out case awning that's installed on the Casita is the same one I put on my Scamp several years ago. I love it! Easy/peasy. Casita sells the necessary roof supports. I needed to have the ones made for my Scamp to match the awning to the Scamp roof. If you purchase a Casita, you won't have that issue.

My daughter, my ex and I were able to mount the awning to the Scamp. Not difficult even if a bit nerve wracking. Drilling those holes, etc...

I'm 100% satisfied with my decision. I was able to purchase the awning (on sale) from Camping World. The awning itself was about $800. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:05 AM   #18

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Jen, check out the Clam 1660, one person set-up. Check the video on the left on this page: Amazon.com: Clam Corporation 9281 Quick-Set Escape Shelter, 140 X 140-Inch, Forest Green: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Also, our canopy is a $60 Gander Mountain canvas thing with a couple bungee cords...

Best of luck to you!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #19

Georgia
Donna D., thanks for the input!
Frank A, what a clever setup.
Nonetheless, I want an awning. I just know myself. I want to roll out an awning and sit in my chair with my laptop and do my work...

Tags
awning, casita