Seeking advice to repair seal on Burro large back window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #1

Name: E.
Trailer: Burro
Minnesota
Seeking advice to repair seal on Burro large back window

Hi all,

I am a new owner of small Burro camper that needs a little bit of work. Windows are all in reasonable shape except that the back window leaks a bit when it rains.

I am very new to this kind of project and wanted to see if anyone had advice before I get started. I was planning on removing the window and replacing the rubber piece at the bottom of the window where I understand the leak to be.

Any advice welcome! I've enjoyed looking through your posts so far and look forward to being an active member of this vintage camper group!
Ewelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Name: Cory
Tennessee
Window Rebuild

I ordered a sample set of seals from Pelland. I think I have all the seals identified that need are needed to rebuild an entire window. I have pulled a window out and tried the samples, but have not rebuilt one yet. I was planning to order all the parts/seals this week. I'm on lunch at work right now. I will try and get the info to you in the next few days.

If you have not done so, be sure to check the window seal drain holes are not plugged.

If you are having trouble identifying where the leak is actually at, you can strategically apply liberal amounts of silicone grease (or any heavy grease) to the suspected leak points and see if that stops the leak. At least you would know where the leak is (ex ... no need to replace the fixed window seal, when it is the sliding window cross member sliding seal that is bad).
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #3

Tennessee
Window Seal Part Numbers

Not sure if all Burro window frames are the same. You may want to check your window frame, it may not be the same as mine, but here is what I found to fit my window.

You may also want to order a sample kit before placing a large order. You can use the samples to see if it work for you.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Sample Kit.jpg   Window Seals All - Labeled.jpg  

Slider.jpg   Fixed Window Seal.jpg  

Fixed Window - Bar.jpg  
Old 10-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Tennessee
Widow Seal Part #'s - Forgot one item

I could not find the seal that is used on the bottom side of the cross bar for the slider. The part I found is not identical, but it appears to work. You do have to trim the bottom lip just a little bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Sliding Window Bar.jpg  
Old 10-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #5

Name: Jeanne
North Carolina
On my 82 Burro with the unpainted aluminum frames I could not get the larger glazing bead for the slider fromm that pelland sample set to fit. I got it started, but no way was that whole sample piece going to fit.
I'd definatly try the sample set before buying.
Jeanne D. in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #6

Tennessee
Hi Jeanne, so which seal did not work for you and what did you end up using? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #7

Name: Jeanne
North Carolina
The bigger one that looks tantalizingly close to the original didn't fit. Pelland Enterprises Motor Home Products - RV Windows
For the slider windows. It was too thick to fit into the frame. My feeling with that piece was that it's there to keep water from splashing and not so much a perfect seal. I looked at this but have not tried it. Crl glazing I saw that you can buy a sample of all of the crl products on Amazon for about $20.
I've cleaned mine off and am going to reuse them for now. I had a reality check. It does not rain much here.
I'm using the H009-643 Black on all of the fixed windows. The back fixed window really needed it.
Jeanne D. in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #8

Tennessee
The H009-643 sample did not work for my frame. The notch was a little to small and did not fit the window lip very well. For my test fit, the 8523 fit much better.

Looks to me the slider window seal is made to go in the groove the same as the fixed window seal, but it has to "jump over" the empty track of the fixed window, to reach the back window. Since there is no permanent seal on the back of the slider like on the fixed window, I think it is like you say, not a perfect seal. The Crl seal does not look like it will work. If the 842 does not work I don't know what I will do. I cannot find anything even close to it.

I am going to order some materials this weekend. I will post any learnings I have.

Tags
burro