Prep & Paint recommendation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Prep & Paint recommendation

Hello all,

I have a 76 Trillium in need of a decent paint job. It still has the factory paint on it although it's starting to look a little worn.

I'm up in Vancouver, CANADA so if anyone has any recommendations for a reasonably priced painter in this area, please share.

Thanks!
adventuretoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuretoyota View Post
Hello all,

I have a 76 Trillium in need of a decent paint job. It still has the factory paint on it although it's starting to look a little worn.

I'm up in Vancouver, CANADA so if anyone has any recommendations for a reasonably priced painter in this area, please share.

Thanks!
Trillium never had a factory paint,what is wearing is the gell coat. If the gell coat is in decent condition there are ways to restore it which would be a lot easier and cheaper than painting it.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #3

British Columbia
Unfortunately the gel coat is literally burnt off the roof and it definitely needs some attention. Any recommendations for a good painter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #4

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Can you post some pictures of your campers bad spots??? I'm in the process of painting one of mine. I've got a 4500 with a front bathroom. I primed mine first then rolled it with foam roller.. 2 coats of Rustoleum Almond paint lightly sanded it between coats and now I'm going to spray 2 coats sanding in between then 2 coats of clear.. This is more than I've ever done to one before but this one is going to one I keep for myself and just want to see how good it will come out..
I can't remember the brand of the primer but someone on here used it before and said it is used to prime ceramic tile in order for it to hold paint..
I've got several pictures of the renovation and plan to post them on here when I get a little farther along.. I took it completely off the frame, having the frame lengthen in order to put a aluminum tool box on the front, also new axel, new upholstery, new cabinet doors, new flooring, on-demand 12 volt water pump for the front toilet and sinks, new LED lighting, new roof vents and all windows have been removed and new treated wood installed around all windows...
When I get done with this one I've got 4 more to redo .........
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:48 AM   #5

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Paint & Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Can you post some pictures of your campers bad spots??? I'm in the process of painting one of mine. I've got a 4500 with a front bathroom. I primed mine first then rolled it with foam roller.. 2 coats of Rustoleum Almond paint lightly sanded it between coats and now I'm going to spray 2 coats sanding in between then 2 coats of clear.. This is more than I've ever done to one before but this one is going to one I keep for myself and just want to see how good it will come out..
I can't remember the brand of the primer but someone on here used it before and said it is used to prime ceramic tile in order for it to hold paint..
I've got several pictures of the renovation and plan to post them on here when I get a little farther along.. I took it completely off the frame, having the frame lengthen in order to put a aluminum tool box on the front, also new axel, new upholstery, new cabinet doors, new flooring, on-demand 12 volt water pump for the front toilet and sinks, new LED lighting, new roof vents and all windows have been removed and new treated wood installed around all windows...
When I get done with this one I've got 4 more to redo .........
WOW!! You're amazing!! This is fascinating...and a massive amount of work-Bravo to you!! Our gel coat also is so thin on the roof, you can see sunlight through it..no good! We're having it painted with auto paint by a boat detailer..white, of course. Also, hull liner with insulation that my husband may tackle himself. You're surely ~inspirational!!Hoping that all your work goes smoothly & to your satisfaction! Can't wait to see the pics when you're done. Daunting checklist you've got there!!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:33 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarie View Post
WOW!! You're amazing!! This is fascinating...and a massive amount of work-Bravo to you!! Our gel coat also is so thin on the roof, you can see sunlight through it..no good! We're having it painted with auto paint by a boat detailer..white, of course. Also, hull liner with insulation that my husband may tackle himself. You're surely ~inspirational!!Hoping that all your work goes smoothly & to your satisfaction! Can't wait to see the pics when you're done. Daunting checklist you've got there!!
Are you saying you need to repaint a 2013 little snoozy or are you talking about a different trailer
Old 08-07-2016, 03:49 AM   #7

Florida
Paint & Prep work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Are you saying you need to repaint a 2013 little snoozy or are you talking about a different trailer
Hey there Mikmay...yep, I am. It's lived it's life in FLORIDA, land of wayyyy too much UV exposure.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:47 AM   #8

Florida
changing directions on painting the Snoozy...

Quote:
Hey there Mikmay...yep, I am. It's lived it's life in FLORIDA, land of wayyyy too much UV exposure.
~ well the quote came in to do the job we hoped for. Wayyyyyyy over our budget, so...we'll go the route of having her re gel coated. This boat detailer said he's pretty good at matching colors, so he's going to do the tan as it was previously. Changing to the white would be another massive expense. Oh well...another paint guy told us that gel coat would be stronger than paint anyway...not show the chipping like paint would so..perhaps this is best.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
New gel coat? This news to me. How is that done? How is it different from paint?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #10

Florida
new gel coat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
New gel coat? This news to me. How is that done? How is it different from paint?
Hey David! I was wrong! I'm still learning, so please excuse the naivete. Ok...I THOUGHT that was what he was going to do, but...big change! He looked very carefully at the condition of the existing gel coat & number one, was impressed with the quality of what Snoozy had put on it..and that he could restore it to full beauty best by wet sanding (verrry fine paper) cleaning off~ all the oxidation,then a heavy coat of some sort of agent, buffing it with the mechanical device, then applying a coat of a very good marine quality wax or "clear coat" as he called it. He showed us exactly what it'd look like by doing a 2x2 area. WOW!! Unbelievable! So, that's what we agreed to do in the end. He said the particular wax he uses is extremely durable...should last for years. Muuuuch gentler- on the bank account! Sorry for the confusion!
Old 08-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #11

Name: Chris
British Columbia
Has anyone - other than myself - tried a product called "Shine On" to remedy "dusty gel coat" syndrome.. I procured it 3 years ago, installed it 2 years ago and now 2 years later it still probably looks similar to the day it left the factory in 1975.. Amazing stuff, seems to only be available on-line.. I just hope that I don't find that in a few years it was "to good to be true" ;-)
Old 08-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Trillium never had a factory paint,what is wearing is the gell coat. If the gell coat is in decent condition there are ways to restore it which would be a lot easier and cheaper than painting it.
This is what I want to do. How do you recommend doing it? I was thinking of using a heat gun or some kind of stripper. But, I am having a hard time finding anything in Canada locally for fibreglass.
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Hey David! I was wrong! I'm still learning, so please excuse the naivete. Ok...I THOUGHT that was what he was going to do, but...big change! He looked very carefully at the condition of the existing gel coat & number one, was impressed with the quality of what Snoozy had put on it..and that he could restore it to full beauty best by wet sanding (verrry fine paper) cleaning off~ all the oxidation,then a heavy coat of some sort of agent, buffing it with the mechanical device, then applying a coat of a very good marine quality wax or "clear coat" as he called it. He showed us exactly what it'd look like by doing a 2x2 area. WOW!! Unbelievable! So, that's what we agreed to do in the end. He said the particular wax he uses is extremely durable...should last for years. Muuuuch gentler- on the bank account! Sorry for the confusion!
This is the right advice for you as a trailer that age even under extreme conditions should come back to life with out having to paint.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Boler View Post
This is what I want to do. How do you recommend doing it? I was thinking of using a heat gun or some kind of stripper. But, I am having a hard time finding anything in Canada locally for fibreglass.
Not sure if you are saying your trailer is the original gell coat or if your trailer has been painted and you wish to strip the paint
Old 08-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Alberta
Quote:
Not sure if you are saying your trailer is the original gell coat or if your trailer has been painted and you wish to strip the paint
It's been poorly painted and I wish to strip the paint to expose the original gelcoat.
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Comox View Post
Has anyone - other than myself - tried a product called "Shine On" to remedy "dusty gel coat" syndrome.. I procured it 3 years ago, installed it 2 years ago and now 2 years later it still probably looks similar to the day it left the factory in 1975.. Amazing stuff, seems to only be available on-line.. I just hope that I don't find that in a few years it was "to good to be true" ;-)
Hi Chris from Comox. Our Gel coat is pretty much shot. All the paint and RV shops that looked at it were saying there isn't much that can be done to restore it. There are small spider web cracks starting to before it gets too serious, we were told to get it in to a shop sooner than later. Any thoughts?
Old 08-22-2016, 04:27 AM   #17

Florida
gel coat restoration...

Quote:
This is the right advice for you as a trailer that age even under extreme conditions should come back to life with out having to paint.
Yep, you're quite right...we've not seen the final reveal yet, but from the photo's he's sent, it's looking amazing!! If I could figure out how to share those here, I surely would!
Old 08-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #18

Name: Lise
Washington
Registry
Prep & Paint recommendation

Can you share the brand of marine wax he is using? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-23-2016, 02:50 AM   #19

Florida
re the wax he's using...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiseKen View Post
Can you share the brand of marine wax he is using? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
I wish I could LiseKen...He's not told us and perhaps won't..that's what he's getting paid(very well paid) to do. The best I could suggest would be to do a search on high quality marine products. He said this wax "clear coat" he called it, is extremely "durable". It would take something particularly good to withstand the UV here!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:00 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
I wish I could LiseKen...He's not told us and perhaps won't..that's what he's getting paid(very well paid) to do. The best I could suggest would be to do a search on high quality marine products. He said this wax "clear coat" he called it, is extremely "durable". It would take something particularly good to withstand the UV here!
Maybe he,s using Zep , buy it for $25 buck,s a gallon and resells it for$100 bucks a quart. . If it lasts 1 to 2 years on a snoozy flat roof that would be my guess.

Tags
eco, paint