Turn 5th wheel scamp into towed trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Floyd, did you ask Frank about the tongue weight of his set-up? From the "Trailer Weights" database, the average hitch weight of a regular Scamp 19 in OEM configuration is around 500-600 pounds. What did he pull it with? Weight-bearing or weight-distributing hitch?
Last I saw He was towing with a Dodge truck, not a dually but surely capable.

I have seen and admired this mod but I haven't made an intense study of it, however...
Since the two hitches are roughly on the same vertical plane and the new configuration is tandem axle It would reasonable to assume that the tongue weight would be somewhat less or about the same as stock, even with the cage adapter.
I am confident that this was taken into consideration in the design phase.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #22

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th wheel
Michigan
Remarkable as it may seem, many people build their own trailers from scratch or from plans in books like the "Glen L travel trailer plans" see https://www.glen-l.com/campers/trailers.html

Apparently few of them produce something unsafe and get sued as a result or the plans would have been withdrawn from sale decades ago. It seems there is a popular narative today that suggests that we are all incapable of doing anything and need to leave it up to the experts. This goes for building your home in Australia and NZ where homes are overpriced by several times their value but apparently this does not motivate anyone to build it themselves.....
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #23

Registry
There is someone on here who lost an axle on his 5er.
It would likely make the perfect project for a mod like Frank's!
Old 04-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
Remarkable as it may seem, many people build their own trailers from scratch or from plans in books like the "Glen L travel trailer plans" see https://www.glen-l.com/campers/trailers.html

Apparently few of them produce something unsafe and get sued as a result or the plans would have been withdrawn from sale decades ago. It seems there is a popular narative today that suggests that we are all incapable of doing anything and need to leave it up to the experts. This goes for building your home in Australia and NZ where homes are overpriced by several times their value but apparently this does not motivate anyone to build it themselves.....
AMEN!!
Old 04-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I hardily disagree.
If what you say is true there would not be a single street rod ever built.
We'll have to politely agree to disagree. I'm not talking about a one-off street rod, but a small manufacturing plant selling to the population.

But, I do know manufacturers who build street rod frames and if an individual was to make changes to the frame where the rod would fly, the manufacturer would disavow any knowledge of the modification. Kinda like Scamp does when it comes to this modification AND the ones where folks change the kinda-sorta-5th_wheel-gooseneck-hitch to a proper king pin. Scamp (Evelands) won't discuss that either. Although they will say folks have done it. And we know they have because some are members of this forum.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
500-600 pounds of tongue weight on a weight-bearing receiver hitch is a marginal set-up (or worse) for a light-duty truck. By the time you add a topper and some cargo in the bed, you have an overloaded rear axle.

Did a little quick searching, and it looks like even some heavy-duty trucks may specify a weight-distributing hitch for those kinds of tongue weights. I doubt you could use WDH with Frank's set-up because there is not a solid rail connecting the hitch to the axle.

Caution advised!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We'll have to politely agree to disagree. I'm not talking about a one-off street rod, but a small manufacturing plant selling to the population.

But, I do know manufacturers who build street rod frames and if an individual was to make changes to the frame where the rod would fly, the manufacturer would disavow any knowledge of the modification. Kinda like Scamp does when it comes to this modification AND the ones where folks change the kinda-sorta-5th_wheel-gooseneck-hitch to a proper king pin. Scamp (Evelands) won't discuss that either. Although they will say folks have done it. And we know they have because some are members of this forum.
We were talking about a one-off convertible Scamp though.
I'm not talking about people who build kit cars and call them streetrods either.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm not talking about people who build kit cars and call them streetrods either.
Me either. I don't even know those kind of builders.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Although we keep using "Fifth Wheel" for the 19 ft Scamp. It is really a Gooseneck hitch system, because it mounts to a ball in the bed of a truck.
I disagree. It is neither a gooseneck hitch nor a 5th wheel hitch. It is a proprietary hitching system. A gooseneck hitch has the ball at the floor level of the bed of the truck (which the Scamp 19 does not use) and a gooseneck trailer has a long, vertical coupler assembly which resembles a goose's neck. A 5th wheel has a king pin, not a coupler. Unlike a 5th wheel, the Scamp 19 requires safety chains. By definition, it should be called a Scamp 19. Those who have converted true 5th wheels to the Andersen hitch are no longer using the 5th wheel connection. Legally, the Andersen hitch requires the use of safety chains. The true 5th wheel is the only current system that Federal DOT and State law(s) exempt from using safety chains.
And in reference to Donna's post, it is my opinion that Scamp should switch from a coupler to a king pin box. It is far easier to hook up because it only needs to be aligned in one plane rather than two. I suspect Scamp chooses to stay with their proprietary system because it is less expensive.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #30

I agree Carl. I often wonder if people towing a Scamp 19 and break down outside a small town ever have problems getting a tow truck that can tow the trailer since it's not anything "common."

Jared J did a great job changing the proprietary hitching system to a king pin
Click image for larger version

Name:	JaredJ_KinPin.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	104702

Unfortunately he hasn't been around for a long time (Last Activity: 01-07-2015 03:50 PM) so we can't ask him how well it worked out.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
5th wheel converter gear

[QUOTE=Donna D.;634373]I agree Carl. I often wonder if people towing a Scamp 19 and break down outside a small town ever have problems getting a tow truck that can tow the trailer since it's not anything "common."

Attachment 104702

Unfortunately he hasn't been around for a long time (Last Activity: 01-07-2015 03:50 PM) so we can't ask him how well it worked out.[/QUOTE--------------------------------------------

I saw something a few years ago in Wyoming that could be built fairly simply. It was a commercially manufactured 'trailer' , a bit like the Con Gear (converter) we used to use on 'Sets of Doubles " to switch the front semi into a rear 'pull trailer' . Just a very short trailer bolted to the truck or PU, it had the Fifth Wheel ( or ball )on it. It was solid to the PU, needed no license, was the support for the Fifth wheel trailer which rode over it and was hooked to it. I can't find the photo, sadly. But you get the idea. I don't know if many were sold. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #32

Thought y'all would appreciate these couple of pictures. Taken in South Korea of a Scamp 19. Takes "bumper pull" to a whole new level.
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   02.jpg  

Old 04-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #33

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Take two ibuprofen and call me in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Thought y'all would appreciate these couple of pictures. Taken in South Korea of a Scamp 19. Takes "bumper pull" to a whole new level.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Donna : What a 'Yoke' that is ! And two photos: a " Double Yoke " ! David in Fresno and Sonora, and sometimes Oregon.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #35

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
There ya go. No special equipment needed! No structural changes to the trailer. If he parks on a steep enough hill, it won't even need leveling! Problem solved. But how did he get that thing over to Korea?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
There ya go. No special equipment needed! No structural changes to the trailer. If he parks on a steep enough hill, it won't even need leveling! Problem solved. But how did he get that thing over to Korea?
It was actually shipped to South Korea. Obviously the buyer didn't know exactly what he/she was getting. I just hope they get it figured out and don't plan on towing all the time like the photos. Can you imagine where the tail lights are pointed? Wowser!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #37

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
This ones my favorite.

RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
I agree Carl. I often wonder if people towing a Scamp 19 and break down outside a small town ever have problems getting a tow truck that can tow the trailer since it's not anything "common."

Attachment 104702

Unfortunately he hasn't been around for a long time (Last Activity: 01-07-2015 03:50 PM) so we can't ask him how well it worked out.
Actually any wrecker with a formula could tow it fairly level, assuming they have a simple 2" ball adapter. Ours came with one.
Most rollbacks even have a formula.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
This ones my favorite.
Interesting. I wonder how much MORE weight is stored under the loft. Or maybe it's just a place to store stuff out of the weather during camping...
Old 04-07-2017, 07:24 AM   #40

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The "South Korean" hitch is one answer to the emergency situation, but of course the picture of the adapter that Floyd posted is much better. Any wrecker worth his salt will have one.

We still do not know how Scamp people reacted to Kevin's (offroad) request, but my thinking is that such an option offered by Scamp would be prohibitively expensive and would fragment their market. Not good from the marketing/sales point of view. They cover it well now with the 13, 16, and (unique) 19.

(By the way, my tongue weight is about 600 lbs, about right for the Tacoma, with two people traveling, lots of stuff on the back seat and some weather proof stuff in the bed.)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp