Burro Trailer newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Name: Paul S.
Trailer: Burro
California
Burro Trailer newbie

Hello, my name is Paul and I live outside of Salinas California. I recently purchased what looks to be an early 80's Burro trailer. It is 13' and in really bad, bad shape. It had a redwood tree fall on the rear end and is currently sporting a Jurrasic Park (think T-Rex going after a slimy lawyer hiding inside!) size hole in the rear end. I basically bought it for the frame assembly but stumbled onto this web site this morning and am wondering if there might be some interest by anyone in restoring it? Or are the parts worth anything? The door is in excellent shape except for a small screw hole where I had to screw the door shut in order to get the thing home. The trailer looks like it was in pretty rough shape prior to the run in with the tree but the guy I purchased it from had planned to restore it so it must not have been too badly off. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Burro One.jpg   Burro Two.jpg  

1947jeepcj2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #2

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Paul,
Hard to say much without at least a picture to guess from, but fiberglass IS a relatively easy medium to work with.
My U-Haul [similar construction to Burro] got smacked in the butt by a semi, and is well on the way back to health & service.
Best wishes, whether you rebuild or sell for parts..........
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
14-0829-03.jpg   16-0222-LicenseHolder-05.jpg  

Old 12-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #3

California
I posted photos

Thanks Gary, mine looks like it might be a tad more complicated to repair! I posted some pictures so that you can see what I am talking about. I think, with enough inspiration, it could actually be repaired but I am not sure that I have that much inspiration laying around here to dedicate that much time to it.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Windows, lockset, hinges, appliances, cabinet liners, outside vents, anything "stamped U-Haul" ... all have value if you wish to part it out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #5

Name: Meaghan
Trailer: 1986 Burro (17' wide body)
Illinois
If the door lock is in good working order, you might end up with a bidding war!
mmzeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #6

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Paul,
Yeah----that might be just a BIT much to tackle re-building. Ouch!
Gary
Old 12-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
How much you asking for the duck tape?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #8

California
Duct tape for sale! Only used once!

Thanks all for your replies! Once I get into it I will defiantly be listing parts for sale here. Any advice on how to determine the year of manufacture? The guy I bought it from had no title and no idea of the age, vital information, I'm guessing, to determine part compatibility. I'd definitely be open to starting bids on the duct tape!
Old 12-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #9

Name: James (Jim)
Trailer: 1981 Burro - 13'
Ohio
Registry
Dead Burro

What would you want for the left rear window assembly? Any idea on what the cost of shipping to Cincinnati would be (ZIP 45244). I have an '81 with a broken window frame...... Thanks! (And I, too, am afraid there's a LOT more than gumption needed to "repair" this one! Sucks!)
CapnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
So very sad!
This one might need more than duck tape.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #11

Name: fred
Trailer: Burro, had aliner
Michigan
I would be interested in the door if you were a lot closer to Ann Arbor MI. The door on my 1978 13 footer has delaminated. My repairs made it usable but far from good. Don't know if your door would fit onto mine or not, but please keep in touch with me. Might be a good excuse to take a trip out west
fred wark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #12

California
Trailer parts

Thank you all for your replies and interest in the trailer parts. I bought the trailer for my son who is graduating from college in a couple of weeks and wants to build a small travel/camping trailer to live in while traveling around the country for awhile working seasonal jobs, before he settles down and gets a "real" job! He may or may not decide to use all or some of the parts that you all have expressed interest in, so once he returns home after graduation, he and I will evaluate the Burro and make a final decision as to the disposition of the parts. I will let you all know once that decision has been made. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!!
Old 01-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #13

California
Parts for sale

Hello all, I have emailed several of you who indicated interest in the parts on this trailer but have not heard back from anyone so if ANYONE is interested in parts from this trailer, please let me know as we have decided not to try and save it. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #14

Name: dan
Trailer: uhaul
Pennsylvania
bed

is there a bunk bed in the front ?
wetasswilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro