1984 Burro Door Rain Guard Hack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Burro
Colorado
1984 Burro Door Rain Guard Hack

Hello, I wanted to share this fix for my Burro door. The top of the door bows away from the body and even with new rubber seals still leaked. The gap was just too large. So I made this rain guard out of a cut and shaped piece of plexiglass. Mounted with 3M VHB tape and two screws. Works like a charm for keeping rain out.
Best - Tom
Attached Thumbnails
burrow_rain_guard.jpg  
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Please remember the simple rule - if you take a picture with a smart phone, hold the phone HORIZONTALLY, but not vertically. Pictures are best viewed when they are looking as a TV screen.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #3

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Please remember the simple rule - if you take a picture with a smart phone, hold the phone HORIZONTALLY, but not vertically. Pictures are best viewed when they are looking as a TV screen.
Well, aren't you helpful... It is the outdated fiberglass RV upload system that randomly chooses to flip photos. Maybe you should send your comments to the administrator.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #4

SW Florida
The only thing worse than vertical pictures is vertical movies. Why can't you hold the phone right? Don't blame the web site.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
How you hold your phone matters a lot. The "home" button needs to either be down at the lower edge or over towards your right hand. The other two positions will result in disorientation flipping.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #6

Colorado
Old 04-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #7

SW Florida
Exactly! The picture taken must have landscape orientation.

Edit: to be honest, I'm already sick for years with vertical pictures/movies posted on the Internet...
Old 04-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Back to the subject of this thread. That is a great looking job on custom forming a rain cap for the doorway. I am really impressed by the nicely formed flange! I sure wish you would create a tutorial on how you formed the flat plastic into such a perfectly shaped rain cap
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We have rain caps/guards as a "next" project on Peanut--"gutters for RV windows" is the phrase under which we found some pre-made ones online. We cannot locate that 3M VHB tape anywhere yet...haven't gone into full defcon locate mode but that's next, too. Paul said he'll just fiberglass them on if it comes to that.

Looks like a very nice job. Good to be reminded of this "next" project.

BEST
Kai
Old 04-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #10

Name: Cory
Tennessee
3M tape

Tommy,
I think the rain guard idea is really good. Thanks for taking the time to share. I think I am going to use some left over plexi and a heat gun and make one myself.

Kai,
This is what I bought off of e-bay as the seal for my window rebuilds. Excellent product. Super sticky. Once it sticks to the window, you have to cut it out with a razor (I made a mistake and set a window in crooked). You may want wider for your application?

3M VHB #5108 Double Sided Acrylic Foam Automotive Attachment Tape 0.8mm*8mm* 33M

3M VHB #5108 Double Sided Acrylic Foam Automotive Attachment Tape 0.8mm*8mm* 33M | eBay
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #11

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
rain guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Back to the subject of this thread. That is a great looking job on custom forming a rain cap for the doorway. I am really impressed by the nicely formed flange! I sure wish you would create a tutorial on how you formed the flat plastic into such a perfectly shaped rain cap
We have been trying to figure out how to keep rain out of our Casita windows. YES would love a tutorial on how you bent the plexiglas. Thank you. (the auto rain guard eyebrows are too shallow to keep rain away from the slanted sides of the Casita)
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Scoboatn -- thank you for the link! Natch, on eBay! So many things we can't find elsewhere is there...and yet mostly I have to be reminded to look there.

I've bookmarked it and will order to suit the eyebrows when we get some.

BEST
Kai

Tags
burro