There's a hole in my Boler my Boler my Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
LOL!!
Yes I plan to install so as to use it in place.
I did consider your problem and decided to have the
potti protrude a bit around a 1/2 inch when installed
hoping this will help. I will probably increase the air gap around
it a bit now too,,thank-you.
I will say that it's use will be purely "emergency only".
Age has a way of challenging me when we travel.
I'm getting close to being able to post a pic with the top
on and the potti in place.
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Well, Fred...

If 1/2 inch is enough..."clearance"... for you, I hereby Officially Proclaim you FGRV's Official Captain Hardbody!

I fear that for myself, there's a bit more of me to spread out during any activities that involve sitting.

Also:

My experiment revealed that "flushing" was a knuckle-banger with the toilet enclosed in its little cubby. You might consider hingeing the face of your itty-bitty lav compartment. Which as a matter of fact would solve both problems.

Next up:
What to do about those waffle-pattern lawn chairs that leave such distressing marks

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #23

Registry
I placed the underseat and have the potti in place and tested!
Passed ! by the OFFICIAL FGRV Hardbody LOL
Yes I plan on a door/opening to acces the pull handle.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #24

Registry
relaxin after a great supper enjoyin family on this holy nite.
thought I'd throw up a couple of pics of progress.
Have the birch all in 'cept some under bracing. thinking I'll make a
"Chase Lounge" out of the cushion.
Any ideas for the finish of the area in the last picture would be greatly appreaciated cause so far I got nothin!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG824.jpg   IMG825.jpg  

IMG826.jpg   IMG829.jpg  

IMG830.jpg   IMG828.jpg  

Old 12-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Any ideas for the finish of the area in the last picture would be greatly appreaciated cause so far I got nothin!
Well....you asked for it!

My first thought when I looked at this series was: Why is the seat facing the wrong way???? But then I got to the pic with the TV and all became clear....

Allow me to explain:

I'm a no-frills (also easily entertained) camper, and the view from the front bunk with the door open is of paramount importance to me. So much so, in fact, that when I'm situating the rig I actually get in the trailer, sit down on the bunk, and look at the view!

I'll attach a few pics below to show how much of a fanatic I am in this department...it's especially nice in the morning- I sit there drinking my coffee with the door open in all weathers.

I see that you've made a real cozy place to watch T.V. when available, but my suggestion is to put a cushion and a hinged lid in/on that corner spot so that you could flip it up (flush with front of TV table) and have a backrest for sitting in the reverse position and gazing upon the passing scene.

'Cause sometimes the passing scene may be the only thing available for entertainment!

As for the use for the underneath space: That area just screams "clothes hamper" to me, and the flip up lid would make that real easy...in fact, you could divide it into two sections and have one side for clean, one side for dirty, and get all that space back elsewhere that you'd otherwise have to use just for your clothes.

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
Cleared Camera 355.jpg   Cleared Camera 363.jpg  

Cleared Camera 656.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #26

Registry
Francesca,Thanks for the ideas.
I like the laundry hamper.
The new drawer is for clean cloths but we have always
had trouble with what to do with the laundry bag,thanks.
Our Boler is used a little differently than yours, we are lost without
a place to plug into and cable partly because we will be sitting in an RV park for 2 months down south. We like to get away all right but not
away from showers,TV air conditioning,microwave etc so I guess we are
really RVers more than campers,, see pic. This is us last winter and will be us in a month.
I understand your love of the view out the door but as you will see my plans don't include that.
I do camp, but on a motorcycle with a one man tent and everything I need in the saddlebags.
Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00000063.jpg  
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #27

Registry
Another hole to fill!!
Well I got a little off track. I started looking at the sink and realized I needed to make a change there. The sink drain used to be a garden hose
that trickled down onto the tire. Although I wasn't fond of the system it worked and never changed it. When I reserved at the RV park in SoCal last year they made it clear that all waste water was to go into their septic system so I just added a longer garden hose to the drain. It didn't work worth a dam!!, plugged too easily and drained too slow. So this year I'm upgrading to a proper RV septic system for the sink. Changed to the proper 1.5 inch sink drain with a P trap. through the floor and installed a screw in plug. This plug removes and sizes up to the 3 inch rv drain with the barbs on to accept the hose to the septic. I don't have the hose yet or would have shown the whole system installed.
By the way everybody talks about dry camping and being off grid this isn't necessary but to sit in a big rv park of a few days or more this might be for you.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG831.jpg   IMG832.jpg  

IMG833.jpg   IMG836.jpg  

IMG837.jpg   IMG838.jpg  

IMG839.jpg   IMG840.jpg  

IMG841.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #28

Registry
All that for grey water??????

Even many full-sized RV's use a garden hose-type connection to drain grey water...

Francesca
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #29

Registry
I know! An RV park in Napa CA that was almost empty wouldn't let us stay cause we didn't have gray and black water holding tanks and a 3 inch drain.
I explained that all we had was a sink and would use a hose to the drain,,,not good enough!!!!!!!!!! I was about to let off some steam and I think he could see i had reached that point when he pointed us to another park on the edge of town. Glad I didn't lose it cause the park he put us onto was AWESOME. Forget the name but I related this story on this fourm before and gave the second park a great review!!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #30

Registry
Skyline Wilderness Pk was great.
The park at the fairgrounds intown was not hospitable
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #31

Registry
You need to learn to..."hedge the truth", Fred.

The only answer to the "do you have holding tanks" question is "why, yes...of course!"

Then, under cover of darkness....

Well, I think you get my drift!

Francesca
Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
FSC which means Fully Self Contained is not that unusual in the privately owned RV (resort) or campground world. And that means tanks on board. 99.9% of all molded trailers owners would take care of the site we're parked in... but not everyone is so considerate. Don't be upset, but be understanding. You wouldn't want to park in a site where someone allowed their garden hose and bucket to overflow the gray/blackwater tank and neither do the owners of the park.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #33

Registry
Until "FSC" is defined in terms of gallons of capacity required, and the number is higher than "two"... I'm good!

Francesca
Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #34

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Another hole to fill!!
Well I got a little off track. I started looking at the sink and realized I needed to make a change there. The sink drain used to be a garden hose
that trickled down onto the tire. Although I wasn't fond of the system it worked and never changed it. When I reserved at the RV park in SoCal last year they made it clear that all waste water was to go into their septic system so I just added a longer garden hose to the drain. It didn't work worth a dam!!, plugged too easily and drained too slow.

Any chance this problem was really an issue of drain venting? If this is so, air trying to make its way back up the hose would be the reason the above didn't work. Thoughts?

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
FSC which means Fully Self Contained is not that unusual in the privately owned RV (resort) or campground world. And that means tanks on board. 99.9% of all molded trailers owners would take care of the site we're parked in... but not everyone is so considerate. Don't be upset, but be understanding. You wouldn't want to park in a site where someone allowed their garden hose and bucket to overflow the gray/blackwater tank and neither do the owners of the park.
Thank-you Donna,,after reading your post FSC and going to the Rv site on the internet I finally understand why we were not welcome
It was a misunderstanding that stemmed from either them not telling me they had no sewer system to hook into or more than likely I didn't hear it.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
Any chance this problem was really an issue of drain venting? If this is so, air trying to make its way back up the hose would be the reason the above didn't work. Thoughts?

Derek
Maybe partly, but plain water ran decent. It seemed that even soap suds plugged it let alone a bit of salad. I may need to put a vent on my new system too but I'm gonna try it as is first.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #37

Registry
Moving on another one of our problems was catching the corner of the shelves the odd time either in bed or lounging on the couch so I rounded the corners back to the wall.
To do this I had to move HEAVY!!! table top again.
Seeing as I was playing with the birch anyway I decided to take a piece of 1/2 and make a top to test in the bed base.
Worked great, it moved a bit but not enough to worry about so I went ahead and completed the new table. After I got the hardware of the old table I started thinking I would sure like to keep the formica top I had put on. I started cutting the glue around the edge with a long thin blade then used a old wood saw,,came off complete and useable!
Added an edge to bring the thickness up to 3/4 and also put in a brace to the front for added strengh mounted the hardware,,done.
Works great as the bed but in table form it will twist abit, will get used to it. About 1/2 the weight of the original. You can also see from a previous reno I shortened the table (to make access easy) I think about 10 inches and made a piece that is mounted permanent above the air conditioner
Attached Thumbnails
IMG848.jpg   IMG846.jpg  

IMG847.jpg   IMG850.jpg  

IMG849.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #38

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
fred----just want to tell you that i am really enjoying watching your renos! in particular, i am intrigued by the hatch you made for your dog leash. we don't have a dog but i am interested in having an exterior hatch on the door side to provide access to a large presently-unused space under that end of our (permanent) bed.
can you tell me if you bought a hatch kit and if so, what can you tell me about the process of installing it?
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #39

Registry
hey Theresa, The compartment you refer to is on the inside of the trailer at the bottom of the closet. I plan to modify the wheelwell to hold a water and food dish, the leash and whatever. I don't know how many times I have knocked over the water dish in the middle of the nite on the way to the biffy,,,.
I too would be interested in an exterior access to the area you mentioned but I would have to cut up the graphics on the side of our Boler and far as I know they quit making this pattern. I have seen posts where people have used access hatches from the boating industry but the only thing I know about boats is I enjoyed water sking behind them,,,lol
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #40

Registry
Pretty much finished the lounge project. The first pic shows the birch partitions around the biffy. Second shot is showing the laminated support above the drawer. Pics 5and 6 show the storage compartment around the biff and the 7th pic is about discovering how to build the fold up counter section, the ply hanging there is on hinges. It's coming . Should have something figured out tonight. Going to see an upholster tomorrow about the custion modification. But still undecided on how to finish the front of the drawer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG852.jpg   IMG853.jpg  

IMG854.jpg   IMG855.jpg  

img856.jpg   img857.jpg  

IMG858.jpg  

Tags
boler