Scamp front window replacement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2022, 11:05 AM   #21

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I need to replace the front window on my Lil Bigfoot (1989) and have been following every thread here I can find about HOW TO DO IT. The local glass shop kind of panicked when they realized the plexi had a curve.

I contacted SunView industries, which has been very helpful. They do have the correct gasket for my window.

When I asked for more details about HOW to replace the window, I mentioned that I had seen the Boler video (link posted in previous post above), and asked if any of those procedures applied.

Here is the response from Kent at SunView Industries:

Quote:
First thing I suggest is that you delete the Boler video with the 2pc gasket install and promise not to watch it ever again, lol.

Our windows are clamp ring installation, window goes into rough opening from outside, clamp ring fastens to window frame from inside, those 2pcs sandwich to the thickness of your wall - boom, done. Glazing / butyl tape is applied to the backside of the window flange just prior to installation.

First step - remove the existing window / framework from the trailer. Once you have the window out, you can now tackle reglazing / re-adhering the plexi to the frame. The gasket material [as shown in your photo] does not provide any structural benefits whatsoever, it's merely a dust seal. The bond between plexi & frame is the critical, structural procedure that you'll want to get 100% correct. Remove all exterior gasket material from existing window, remove plexi, clean framework shelf where plexi meets aluminum. Once cleaned, prepped & ready - apply 1/4" bead of urethane [windshield adhesive] to shelf on window frame, center plexi into window framework, place several clamps around circumference of window frame ensuring good contact between plexi & frame, let cure for 72hrs. Once cured - remove clamps, install replacement gasket, apply butyl tape to backside of frame, re-install window, enjoy camping...

It may appear ridiculously complicated, but, it's not.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers,
Kent
I'm also going to post his letter in a new thread, which may be easier to find for Lil Bigfoot particularly.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:23 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We-e-e-ll... When a design has been in use over 5 decades with relatively few problems, I am somewhat skeptical when someone suddenly comes along and says it's all wrong.

Of course, with that attitude nothing would ever change.

He speaks of a frame, but Scamps and Bolers have no frame of any kind on the front window. I almost wonder if he is thinking of the larger Bigfoot trailers, which have a flat front surface to install a framed window. Either that or Lil Bigfoots have a different kind of front window than Scamps and Bolers.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:31 AM   #23

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
We-e-e-ll... When a design has been in use over 5 decades with relatively few problems, I am somewhat skeptical when someone suddenly comes along and says it's all wrong.

Of course, with that attitude nothing would ever change.

I'm not sure I understand how a clamp ring works on a compound curve. What's it pulling against if the plexiglass has no frame? If you decide to try this way, I'm all eyes and ears!
Aw, I don't think he's saying it's wrong, I think he means that's not at all what their windows do. These have this two piece frame that hold the curve...

I think I understand that the frame comes apart, there's a ring inside and a ring outside. The plexi is clamped to the outside ring with windshield adhesive and allowed to cure for 72 hours before the clamps are removed.

Then it's SMASHED against the butyl tape and secured by the ring/frame with screws from the inside.

Or something like that. I'm definitely NOT going to attempt this on my own without some more details.

And if there isn't a video or blog or anything out there which details the process, I'll probably attempt to do that myself!
Old 08-15-2022, 11:32 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Got it. So the Lil Bigfoot has a different kind of window. And now that I'm picturing it, it actually seems pretty straintforward. Thanks for clarifying.

The key with clamp ring installations is tightening the screws gradually and evenly all around.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:35 AM   #25

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Got it. So the Lil Bigfoot has a different kind of window.
Oh, totally!

This is a picture of my failing gasket, and the "clamp ring."
Attached Thumbnails
image_50410241 (1).jpg  

Tags
scamp