??Questions about front window over hitch?? Paint? Sealant? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

Name: Coburn
Trailer: 13' Scamp '76
North Dakota
Registry
??Questions about front window over hitch?? Paint? Sealant?

Hi,

Just bought a 13' Scamp front from 1976. It is in decent shape, everything is functioning, but it needs a little work. The previous owner was a body shop guy and covered up, fiberglass patch and bondo, the front window over the hitch. I was wondering what I would need to do to reinstall the front window. Is it as simple as order window, cut hole, pop in or will I need to brace the window or roof etc..

If I decide to go through with install, what type of window should I put in? Solid, crank out, sliding, vented?

Also, just got finished sanding exterior and scraping off years of old caulking, silicone and such from around window and belly seal. Any suggestions for what type of sealant to put back and best type of paint.

My plan to this point is:

Sand and scrape

Bondo, dings, holes scratches

Acetone wipe down

Tack cloth

Prime, sand, paint, sand, paint

I would like to go as original as possible with the paint, but keep in mind I am a novice painter with limited resources and the surface will not be perfect. Looking for a paint that will do a decent job hiding imperfections. I am set on using white. Should I use a gloss paint, flat, clear coat?

Another question, I'm planning on leaving the exterior aluminum band exposed, should I clear coat it to prevent it from getting that tarnished black look or is that not really an issue?

Lot's of questions and many more,

Thanks for all of the help!!

Coby
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2819.jpg   IMG_2823.jpg  

IMG_2821.jpg  
Coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Coby-
You will of course be scraping and sanding... but don't spend a lot buying a window from Scamp- it's just 1/4 inch plexiglass- nothing special. You will need to buy the rubber seal from Scamp, but buy some plexiglass at Home Depot and save $55 shipping.
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
As far as paint, lots of people here are using boat paint.
It is rolled on and "tipped" with a brush.
People are reporting great results.
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

North Dakota
Registry
If I used boat paint, roll and tip method, do I need to remove all preexisting paint??
Old 04-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #5

North Dakota
Registry
Thanks for the info, I'll be order the stripping from scamp and making a template from the back window to get cut at Menards. Can you think of any reason that putting the original window back would reduce the structural integrity of the scamp? Probably not an issue but I'd hate to ruin a good scamp for a window.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #6

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby View Post
Can you think of any reason that putting the original window back would reduce the structural integrity of the scamp? Probably not an issue but ....
Unless the interior has been subjected to some major modifications from the stock design, I'd be really surprised if adding a window would compromise the trailer. It might even add some integrity.

Having said that, a window in the front is exposed to a lot of wind driven rain - not while camping - but while towing. Unless you have your heart set on putting a window there, I'd consider the solid front wall to be an improvement.
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I can save you some work, the measurements for the Boler / Scamp windows are 19"x43" with a 3" radius on each corner. Use 4.5mm or 3/16" plexiglass as the front window needs a compound curve when installed 1/4" is too stiff and will be next to impossible to install.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
...and making a template from the back window to get cut at Menards.
There should be some indication of the front window size from the inside. I'm rusty on my Scamp interiors but there should be some indication on the ensolite liner. If I got that wrong, the rat fur should show where the window once was.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
If I used boat paint, roll and tip method, do I need to remove all preexisting paint??
That would be best answered by the paint company.
But I'm sure if its clean, grease free, solid and scuffed any paint would stick to that.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #10

Registry
What ever size you make the window would be up to you,, within reason
And if you cut the piece out careful it could be a window protector/awning like mine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG1608.jpg  

Tags
paint