Fifthwheel Scamp electrical to TV problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #1

Name: Chad
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Fifthwheel Scamp electrical to TV problem

We got a hold of a nearly brand new 19' 2013 Scamp last August. On our first trip the electrical cable drug on the ground and wore through all the wires.

Quick fix on the side of the road with some electrical tape and wire strippers got us home, but it wasn't a permanent fix.

Just got a new 12' cable and replaced the bad one, but I don't understand how to rout it along the frame: it seems either to be so long that it drags on the ground or it yanks out of the truck when we make a sharp turn.

We've never pulled a fifthwheel so any tips from someone who has experienced this or has a 19' Scamp would be so helpful.

Thanks.
revchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I attach a bungie cord to the under deck frame and use use nylon ties to attach the other end to the cord to help support the slack and let it drop directly to the center of the bumper hitch. I leave a little slack and let it rest on the hitch stinger. If I'm backing up and really have to crank it around I unhook the power cable. I try to have everything centered and try to adjust the slack to keep the power plug off the ground if it pulls out.
Or you could move your power plug inside the bed. Hopkins Endurance 5th Wheel/Gooseneck 90-Degree Wiring Harness with 7-Pole Plug Hopkins Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring 41157
Eddie Longest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #3

Name: Chad
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Thanks Eddie. Super helpful and glad to know I'm not just dense.
revchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #4

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Fifthwheel Scamp electrical to TV problem

The scamp wiring setup really isn't correct for a "fifth wheel" (which it really isn't, either).

$100 will get you the proper bargman harness that plugs into the back of your receiver hitch plug, and goes in your bed like it should.

You can see it in the side of my bed, here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1398233137.248438.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	70150

I can turn either way until the trailer hits the cab (past 90*), with no issues, and obviously no dragging.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #5

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Here's how the wiring is on the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1398233581.378379.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	70152
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The bungee solution (Eddie's post) is what works well for me also. I do not even use ties to hold the cord, just have the bungee hanging from two small holes about 20 inches apart front to back and the cord is twisted around the bungee twice. It stays in place and can be adjusted easily. Works for both tight turns and normal driving without the cord rubbing on the tailgate.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, scamp