Oliver Factory tour, Observations - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Escape is eight years old and there is no evidence of deterioration due to the build. I've taken it over a lot of washboard and forestry roads.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My Escape is eight years old and there is no evidence of deterioration due to the build. I've taken it over a lot of washboard and forestry roads.
No issues at all for the 6 1/2 years I owned my 19 either. The Bigfoot trailers I have worked on were had cabinetry work not even as good as the Escapes. I toured a lot of big rigs at the RV show here this spring, and was appalled at the quality of workmanship with all but the more expensive ones.

Funny too, I have heard of very little issue on the Escape forum about cabinets coming apart.

Escape uses real hardwood for the doors and drawer fronts, the parts that take the most wear, but a thin luan plywood for the carcasses, which is structurally good and light in weight. Staples are used as surface fasteners, as they don't show like screws would, and hold way better than nails do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've seen no evidence of hot glue either. Can't imagine anyone using hot glue for any construction reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Skagit washboard road.jpg  
Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've seen no evidence of hot glue either. Can't imagine anyone using hot glue for any construction reason.
I use it on my model railroad, other then that I think it's useless.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:08 AM   #25

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Interesting comment on the hot glue. The majority of people are only familiar with hot melt adhesive that you buy at the hardware and craft stores other than being heated. That is not something a company would be using in a fiberglass trailer as it has a rather low melting point and a closed up trailer would get too hot inside. Plus it does not bond well to fiberglass.

There are a variety of specialty hot glues used for construction that have nothing to do with the stuff you get in craft stores other than dispensing from a heated gun. Polyurethane hot glue has a very high melting point. I have found that it bonds well to fiberglass and in fact has to be chiseled or ground off after it cures. Once applied it does a cross link cure getting harder and harder over the new few weeks. I made use of it when epoxy bonding blocking to the inside walls of my trailer. I used it because you can't put on a clamp to hold the blocking tight against the wall while adhesive cures. So to hold the blocking in place I put small tack areas of the PUR adhesive at the edges of my blocking which kept it in place while the epoxy cured. It is an expensive hot glue so I did not use it as the primary adhesive. It sets up in 30 seconds or longer depending on which version you buy. When you are working in a production line you need to work quickly so this makes fast and strong adhesive for that purpose. The heated applicator guns cost about $100.00
Polyurethane hot melt glue: https://www.hotmelt.com/collections/pur-hot-melt

As to using staples. Staple are a great type of fastener for many applications. They work very well for securing thin materials including thin plywood where they create a more secure hold than a tiny brad from an air gun will give you. In that situation a staple is the optimal engineering choice of fastener. They are also an optimal solution for securing fabric and vinyl because it gives a wider surface area for grip than a tack.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #26

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I love the fiberglass interior on the Oliver. It’s a beauty! What I don’t like is the floorplan.

As far as cost, is an Escape 17 much different price wise than a Casita 17 deluxe?

I’ve considered buying an Oliver because the quality is there. Not sure about mechanical systems run between the two hulls. Longer tongue = easier to backup. The short tongue on my Casita made it super easy to jackknife the trailer.

I used to work for a company that made hot melt adhesive. Our top product was a reactive holt melt. Very expensive, very powerful, you are not going to use it without specialized equipment. We made several adhesives that were much stronger than the substrate. Check out a laminated beam sometime (not holt melt).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #27

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Casita
California
The new aluminum Ford F-150 truck has quite a bit of adhesive holding the body panels together.
JeffRow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver