Running Casita 17 a/c on generator and/or household outlet - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2015, 04:54 AM   #21

Name: Iggy
Trailer: In the market
AE
Follow up on a/c question

Thanks for all the info, sometimes WAAAY too much (and you know who you are!) Just kidding, my point is that I am far from handy and the technical side of the electrical system is beyond my my grasp. So, with that being said, do I understand correctly that if I buy the appropriate 30 amp adapter (which I am assuming is just a plug adapter because I am not familiar with camping electrical systems, not even what the plug looks like) that I can run the a/c unit from a household outlet without damaging the a/c unit? Thanks in advance for your patience and information.
IggyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:43 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Iggy.

Just an FYI,
Most modern AC's now come with a hard start kit. Maybe someone can give you an approximate date.
On my 1999 7,150 BTU Dometic Brisk Air it was optional. I installed the Dometic hard start kit for my AC and it helped tremendously. My Honda 2000i has no problems starting it but a Generac iX2200 I had did.
The runing wattage of my AC that is ambient temperature dependent is approximately 600 watts at 90 degrees outside temperature. My Honda runs my AC with the ECHO switch on.

My molded "hockey puck" gets warmer than I'm comfortable with. It does not say where it's made but does have double wipe contacts on the female 30 amp end but is marked 15 amps.
Here's a picture of a "hocky puck" mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
15-30.jpg  
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
Alabama
Sorry for the delay. In out of theUS and just now have Wifi. Joe's reply just about covers it. I will add that I have to have my Honda 2000i ECO turned off as that lag time of the generator powering up under load seems to put undue strain on the AC as well as the generator. That said i get 4 hours with o e tank of fuel and 28 to 30 hours with an auxiliary 6 gal tank.
Tedus1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, generator