Which Casita would be best for heavy computer use? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Which Casita would be best for heavy computer use?

I have been looking at the Casita website, trying to determine which model would be best for heavy computer use. My current desk is a 2ftx4ft plastic table, and a high-back leather chair. I'm certain I would have to settle for less space.

Most of the models, except the Freedom, have you sit on a cargo box, which I assume I could get use. I don't think I could use the swivel chairs in the Freedom, and I don't think there is enough room for a high-back chair. Maybe I could use the rear dinette as the computer desk, and sleep on the bed against the wall. My current bed is a long twin XL, so the bed on the wall looks too small (though I'm only 5'10).

I would be using computers a lot, and I would need to somehow sit in a comfortable way. My main computer is currently a large 30" iMac, which looks bigger than the tables on the side of the Casitas. I could use a laptop if I had to.

Or should I be looking at a different FGRV?
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Interesting question... I'm wondering if you will be living by yourself or with other people, and what kind of budget you are looking at.

I will say this though: an RV dinette will not provide the ergonomics of a proper office set-up for long hours at a computer. A while back my home office was taken over by a pastoral intern for several months, and I used the Scamp during that time. I enjoyed sitting at a "desk" with windows all around, but it wasn't so good for my back. Plenty of well-placed pillows and frequent breaks helped.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #3

Arizona
Registry
Late thought... It might be possible to mount some kind of smallish office chair on top of a dinette seat in place of the flat cushion. You'd remove the pedestal, of course. You might have to modify the table height as well to get a comfortable keyboard height.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
You might consider switching to a laptop. I spend far too much time on a computer while traveling in an Escape 17B. I carry a MacBookPlus 17" laptop. I can't imagine storing a large iMac for travel every couple of days.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Agree with the lap top.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Another thought... Get a Freedom model and remove everything from the dinette space. Make a tall bar-height desk across part of the space, leaving room on one end for the tall chair you will pull out and set in the aisle when you are at work. That's not unlike what Robert Johans has done in his new Nest trailer. Depending on where you park, you could have an office with a great view!

It'd be a good idea to hang onto the parts you take out, though. When you sell, most buyers will want the stock set-up.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Another thought... Get a Freedom model and remove everything from the dinette space. Make a tall bar-height desk across part of the space, leaving room on one end for the tall chair you will pull out and set in the aisle when you are at work. That's not unlike what Robert Johans has done in his new Nest trailer. Depending on where you park, you could have an office with a great view!

It'd be a good idea to hang onto the parts you take out, though. When you sell, most buyers will want the stock set-up.
I was thinking of doing this. At first I didn't want to give up the cargo space that the swivel chairs replace, but then I thought if I needed the empty space, it would be easier to remove the swivel chairs than the cargo boxes. I have been looking online for better pictures of the area that the swivel chairs are attached to the floor. It appears the floor rises, perhaps it is a wheel well. If I can see some close ups of that area, I should be able to tell if I could put a desk there. I will look for pictures of Robert Johans camper.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Latest medical studies compare sitting to smoking cigarettes. Trend in offices is toward desks that you stand at. Solves the problem of a chair.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
William, I believe the floor under the side dinette is raised 5-6" above the center aisle, and there is a wheel well that protrudes further. I believe it is toward the rear of that space. If you put the desk over it, it wouldn't be a problem. It might even make a convenient footrest.

I agree- the Freedom set-up will be easier to take apart, and the floor, wall, and wheel well are nicely finished.

If you are serious about pursuing this option, you should really try to tour a Casita for yourself.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
You might contact Casita and see if there are any owners in your general area who might let you look at theirs. Fiberglass owners are a great bunch and normally glad to show off what they have.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
With the Liberty in theory you could remove part of the box on one side near the kitchen and build your desk. You would still have a sitting area on the other side plus could still keep your bed made up if you wanted.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The new "Nest" trailers will have a sort of 'desk' area, and one could buy the perfect office chair to go with it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #13

Name: Casey
Trailer: Escape
FT Travel
That's a great question. My wife and I are talking about doing a stint in a Casita or Scamp, and I'm wondering about my computer setup as well. I'm self employed and work from my computer, so it will be important to keep a computer workspace in the trailer.

Unfortunately, I just upgraded from a 17" MBP to a custom built desktop with a 27" display in Nov 2014, and I'm quite spoiled by it. I've also worked at a standing desk for over 10 years now, and I don't think I could work sitting down. This will definitely be fun, coming up with a solution to this conundrum!
fridaynext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #14

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The new "Nest" trailers will have a sort of 'desk' area, and one could buy the perfect office chair to go with it.
What is the "Nest" trailer?

This thing? NestEgg Trailers

Or this? http://www.nestcaravans.com
Old 04-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #15

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
That's a great question. My wife and I are talking about doing a stint in a Casita or Scamp, and I'm wondering about my computer setup as well. I'm self employed and work from my computer, so it will be important to keep a computer workspace in the trailer.

Unfortunately, I just upgraded from a 17" MBP to a custom built desktop with a 27" display in Nov 2014, and I'm quite spoiled by it. I've also worked at a standing desk for over 10 years now, and I don't think I could work sitting down. This will definitely be fun, coming up with a solution to this conundrum!
I also have no idea how far "30 amps" is going to go. I have a giant iMac that cost as much as a used trailer, I hope I will be able to use it. I also have an Airport/Basestation that acts as a router and backup NAS device. My APC XS1500 UPS-device is "865 Watts/1500 VA", not sure what that means, but I am guessing it means it wont work in a campground! I think I am going to have to get a book on all this stuff, so I will know what it means.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #16

Name: Casey
Trailer: Escape
FT Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
I also have no idea how far "30 amps" is going to go. I have a giant iMac that cost as much as a used trailer, I hope I will be able to use it. I also have an Airport/Basestation that acts as a router and backup NAS device. My APC XS1500 UPS-device is "865 Watts/1500 VA", not sure what that means, but I am guessing it means it wont work in a campground! I think I am going to have to get a book on all this stuff, so I will know what it means.
Nah, you'll be fine - that UPS rating is the max amount it can supply at once (when it's running on battery). A 2013 iMac uses 229W max (full load) - which is about 2 amps at 110V - and your Airport uses 1.5 amps input current. You can calculate how long your UPS will be able to power these, but it depends on the load you're putting on your iMac's CPU.

Inside a 16" camper, 30 amps is going to be fine, unless you have the Blendtec blending a golf club, while juicing, vacuuming, boiling water, and running a 4k transcode on your iMac.

Your main problem will be figuring out how to get it all set up in your camper.
fridaynext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
What is the "Nest" trailer?

This thing? NestEgg Trailers

Or this? Nest Carvans
The latter, and there is a thread about them here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tep-63317.html

I mentioned them because this design eschews a traditional dinette in favor of a side-facing desk/breakfast bar. Pictures of the interior are in post #451 near the end. Note that this unit is still in the prototype phase. Production is supposed to start soon, but I haven't seen any pricing information yet.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Outside the 'egg' (box)...

Our first RV was a used motorhome, not more expensive than a trailer and a tow vehicle. I mention it because I used the front dash for our computer and printer.

I made a slideout desk with drawer that sat on the dash with plenty of storage space in the front overhead cabinets.

The motorhome's front seats were about as comfortable as any seat.

This was a nice set up because besides being large, it did not disrupt the living area, kitchen or bedroom.

The computer was available to serve as a GPS when driving.

Just another approach....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #19

Name: Doug
Trailer: Casita
California
If you add a sine wave inverter to your trailer you won't need the APC UPS. In a power outage the house battery and sine wave inverter will keep your computer running without interruption. All the UPS is is a (small) battery and inverter.

I'm a software developer and run a macbook pro + Monitor, router, WiFi booster, cellular booster, NAS drive and Apple TV. I run them boondocking (charged off solar) as well as plugged in at campsites.

One item I would recommend would be an RV Surge Suppressor. I use this one when plugged into a campground power: Portable Surge Guard with LCD Display, 30 Amp - TRC 34830 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

-Doug
dougtuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #20

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtuck View Post
If you add a sine wave inverter to your trailer you won't need the APC UPS. In a power outage the house battery and sine wave inverter will keep your computer running without interruption. All the UPS is is a (small) battery and inverter.

I'm a software developer and run a macbook pro + Monitor, router, WiFi booster, cellular booster, NAS drive and Apple TV. I run them boondocking (charged off solar) as well as plugged in at campsites.

One item I would recommend would be an RV Surge Suppressor. I use this one when plugged into a campground power: Portable Surge Guard with LCD Display, 30 Amp - TRC 34830 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

-Doug
Awesome! I will probably ask you some questions once I get my Casita. Your setup is exactly what I want to do.

Tags
casita