Alaska Highway Trip - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #21

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Reply to Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
More importantly, if you put all that effort into writing a post, I presume you'd like people to read it. Capital letters and punctuation are also beneficial.

I used capital letters and punctuation. So maybe you need to read it.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I was speaking in general terms to people who post here. I wasn't referring to you, although you wouldn't know that. Sorry.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: Parkliner 2013
North Carolina
Excellent advice from all the above. We left North Carolina in mid-May 2014 and returned about the end of July. On the way up, in early June, we drove through snow along the BC/Yukon border so it can be chilly. About the only thing I'd add to the above commentary is that some sort of blackout curtains were a necessity for us when the sun stays up for 20-23 hours. Eventually you get so tired you can sleep anyway but with the curtains you can at least pretend it is nighttime.
Bill Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #24

Colorado
Black out curtains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Berry View Post
Excellent advice from all the above. We left North Carolina in mid-May 2014 and returned about the end of July. On the way up, in early June, we drove through snow along the BC/Yukon border so it can be chilly. About the only thing I'd add to the above commentary is that some sort of blackout curtains were a necessity for us when the sun stays up for 20-23 hours. Eventually you get so tired you can sleep anyway but with the curtains you can at least pretend it is nighttime.
Yes something to block the sun is needed. We used windshield covers on our windows and held them in place with the day/night shades. Don't forget covers for your skylights if near the bed. Don't need to open the vents at night since it is to cool. Only in Alaska or Northern Canada can you walk around the campground about midnight and take pictures of the mountains above you or see a lovely sunset.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #25

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
If you really want to see a fantastic Sunset then u must fly out

to Nome, Alaska and take pictures of the sun going down but never below the horizon on the Spring to Summer dates in June I believe they start around the 18/19th to about the 22nd. I got those pictures on old fashioned cameras not like today's cameras which are mostly all digital now.
There is a place in the NW territories where there is no Ambient light and you can see so many stars, I believe this place is one the only places left on earth where there is no ambient light affecting the Sky at night time.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #26

Name: Larry and Pat
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Alternative

An alternative to the hassle of shading all windows is a simple pair of eye masks, bought on Amazon for a few dollars, if you can tolerate wearing them. A great memory of ours sitting in the Scamp, reading by the windows using natural light, and all of a sudden realizing it was nearly midnight.
lpdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I understand that many like dark when sleeping. For me, closing the window coverings and my eyes do the trick. Heck, I can sleep under the open sun when tired.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #28

Colorado
Shading windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdolan View Post
An alternative to the hassle of shading all windows is a simple pair of eye masks, bought on Amazon for a few dollars, if you can tolerate wearing them. A great memory of ours sitting in the Scamp, reading by the windows using natural light, and all of a sudden realizing it was nearly midnight.

We pulled our shades down at bedtime 1-2AM and slid windshield covers under the shades. Took all of 1-2 minutes. Left the ones in the bedroom on all the time as we do now to stop bright lights in campgrounds.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #29

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyle View Post
Jon, that is my main concern. Heard stories about broken axels and frames and I don't want to go there if there is some suspension mod that would help. Have also been told that I can kiss my windshield goodbye. I'm ok with that kind of mishap. That's the biz. Not much for it but to stay home.
Two trips to Alaska. One all over including Top of the World but wouldn't recommend it, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Valdez and every road in between. The second one up to Fairbanks and several weeks in Canada. Only chip was when some blacktop was threw at us on the main highway in Fairbanks. If you are careful and don't pass or follow to close and stop when a fast RV comes at you on gravel breaks you don't lose your windshield.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #30

Name: Robert
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
Folks, travelling the AlCan too early in spring may result in travelling through road repair sections. Typically, qhen do paving work on that highway they lay down pea gravel and in one place on our trip from Anchorage to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan in 1993, they cut a dirt detour right through the woods on the side of the highway! My point is to contact the folks who maintain Canadian highways to see where the repairs are being conducted. It was an awesome 15 day trip in our minivan. We travelled mid May and quite a bit of the roadside buisnesses were not even open yet. Have fun but do your homework in advance.
rdcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #31

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
Take it Slow

As many others have mentioned, taking it easy will be your friend. I have driven the highway to/from the "Lower 48" more than a dozen times during all seasons. I have driven both cars and trucks, towed cars on trailers, and towed enclosed trailers. One trip was from Seattle to Kenai during November driving my wife's MG Midget convertible!

You will find heaves year-round. You may find construction year-round. Just drove up from Portland, Oregon in January via the Frasier canyon, Cache Creek, Fort Nelson, etc. I prefer the Cassiar as it is flatter and about 100 miles shorter from that direction but weather did not permit that way for the last trip.

The worst spots for road comditions, even as long ago as 1974, I have encountered are between Destruction Bay and Beaver Creek, and on the Tok Cutoff between Tok and Gakona (Glenallen). The worst tractor-trailer traffic these days occurs between Dawson Creek and Fort St. John.

It's a great trip when you take it slow.

If you get to the Kenai Peninsula you can drop us a message.
R Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #32

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Going to your original question, I brought a '78 Trillium 1300 from Whittier, AK all the way to NC last summer. I was towing with an '03 VW Jetta TDI station wagon (with trailer brakes). I had no issues, other than the LONG waits due to road construction. The roads are almost non-existent at some points but nothing too much to handle. It was a fun trip.
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium