Scamp 10 Foot Sewer Hose Too Short - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Scamp 10 Foot Sewer Hose Too Short

Good morning!
Another newbie question before we pick up our 13 foot Scamp in May. We noticed online that the Scamp comes with a 10 foot sewer hose housed in the front of the camper. We are wondering is this too short? Scamp parts dept. offers a 20 foot option.

So we have the following questions:

1- should we get a 20 foot

2-Will it fit in same tube that houses the standard 10 foot

3- Is there a better brand than what Scamp offers if a 20 foot is a better option

Thanks

Scott L.
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Sewer hose length needs depends on how the campsite or dump station is set up. We have been in sites where we are 3 feet from the sewer hookup, and other sites that are 10 to 15 feet from it. Same with dump stations, so we carry a short hose in the tube that is mounted on the trailer, a longer hose and some fittings in a plastic tub. Currently working on adding a second hose tube and storage on the tongue for fittings. Rhinoflex hoses are supposed to be good.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Scott,

We carry two sewer hoses that can be connected together. The short one on the front of the Scamp and a longer one in a plastic fence post attached to the back of our Scamp 16.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-46387.html

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:20 AM   #4

Name: Scott
Ohio
Thanks for the information

Thanks for your input on the sewer hose. This website is invaluable and the knowledge of the member willing to share is wonderful!

Scott
sal6342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
With a Scamp a 15ft. Rhinoflex works for me. It compress down to about 5 ft. and the cone comes off for storage. I store it and the cone in a 5" PVC fence post under the trailer behind the grey water tank. With a 15 ft. hose you can leave the cone end in the dump tube and move the hose to either of your outlets. I also carry a good 5 ft. hose in the front hose storage tube for an extension, close situation dumping or mostly to use with my tote. The 10' Scamp hoses I've seen have only one end connector and is not legal in most campsites and they usually leak after a couple of uses. They are about good enough to get you home from the factory.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:29 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Note that Eddie said a 5" fence post. Not the standard 4". I've seen them at Lowes
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:44 AM   #7

Registry
Here we are 10+ years since buying our new Scamp. Some 1000+ nights and 50,000+ miles later and sewer holder original sewer hose are still there and the only hose I have.
Do you need a longer sewer hose NO, there are times when it might (that's a maybe) be nice to have.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #8

Just buy the Scamp 20 feet hose, it's cheap and it fits into the same compartment. One less item to carry around.

AC
achang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Do you need a longer sewer hose NO,
I would suggest the above is VERY subjective and very dependent on where & how you camp. While I agree it is not common to require anything more than 10' I have had more than one occasion needed a longer hose.

If you only use dump stations to drain your tanks 10' of hose is going to do the job at most if not all of them as Byron suggests. But if you camp at private facilities and stay for more than a few days there is a chance they have been set up to accommodate larger rigs and/or located the sewer connection in an odd position on the campsite so you may find your 10' hose does not cut it, as I have found on a few occasions.

Since having switched over to a 15' RihnoFlex hose a few years ago I have not needed to carry any additional hose extensions.

There is another current thread on the topic of how to store a hose of more than 10' with all the fittings on it that the OP may want to read.

Removing the Stinky Slinky Tube
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I carry three hoses that can be attached together. They all fit into one storage tube. The one I use most is about 5 feet long. At a dump station you will find a hose just long enough to reach the drain is easiest to work with and to clean after dumping.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
B 4 U pay a high price, go to Walmart and check out their camper items and you will find out there is an inexpensive option to purchasing the additional items you want.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The factory sewer hose that came with our Scamp and Casita was on the light duty side and both developed leaks in one season.
Last year I bought a heavier (Med Duty) sewer hose and that has already developed pinhole leaks where the wire hose supports meet the plastic . We are now looking at purchasing the Rhino Extreme sewer hose . Will it last longer ? , I'll know next year . We found that the 10 ft hose is often to short or is stretched to its Max for many campsite sewer connections. 15 ft has worked for us 95% of the time. There has been occasions where we had to choose between using a longer sewer hose or a longer electrical cord to reach the hookup points , we chose the longer electrical cord . The cord is easier to handle and store plus no smell.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Valtera's red hose has proven to be very durable, ours have lasted many years.
The original hose which came with our trailer actually rubbed through at the wire from just jostling inside the carrier tube.
Here is an interesting idea for transport... Putting a vinyl gutter inside the square tube to use as a drawer....
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Last year I bought a heavier (Med Duty) sewer hose and that has already developed pinhole leaks where the wire hose supports meet the plastic . We are now looking at purchasing the Rhino Extreme sewer hose . Will it last longer ? , I'll know next year . .
Steve my experience with the light duty relatively inexpensive sewer hoses was I found myself replacing them at least every 2 years due to the development of pin hole leaks etc. Switched to the Rhino hose 4 years ago and so far it has lasted.... reason for that? heavier duty? or due to it packing up to a shorter lengths your not dragging it around on the ground as much, avoiding punchers or just pure luck? :-) Can not say for sure but the fact it packs down so easily makes it easy to handle, which in my books is the biggest advantage to using it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What a great idea for storage. Love It.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
To use the gutters as drawers is a neat idea, I like it as well.

I found that the standard hose gets very stiff in cold temperatures. Maybe the better brands use material that does not stiffen as much. I still use the standard one, but I made myself a longer storage tube from a thin wall drain pipe. The old storage tube was cut in half and the pieces are glued to the ends of that pipe so I can close it off. It's all is mounted to the frame under the gas tanks and battery. The slinky does not have to be compressed as much when stored and therefore is easier to stretch when needed.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #17

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Valtera's red hose has proven to be very durable, ours have lasted many years.
The original hose which came with our trailer actually rubbed through at the wire from just jostling inside the carrier tube.
Here is an interesting idea for transport... Putting a vinyl gutter inside the square tube to use as a drawer....
That's brilliant!

Tags
scamp