Question re Eggcamper dimensions, possibly adding a bunk - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Name: Lori
Trailer: None yet
New Jersey
Question re Eggcamper dimensions, possibly adding a bunk

Hi everyone, I am considering purchasing a small travel trailer to take my family of 4 camping. I've been researching small travel trailers, and the Eggcamper meets a lot of my needs, although it is at the top of the weight I'd want to tow.

The biggest problem is that the Eggcamper only sleeps 3. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a bunk over the side dinette bed. Could anyone tell me the space between the side dinette (when it's made up as a bed), and both the ceiling and the overhead storage cabinets? Has anyone added a bunk there?

What is the width and length of the side dinette when it's made into a bed?

Also, how wide is the aisle between the side dinette and the galley? And how long is the aisle between the full size bed and the toilet area?

Thanks!

ETA: It occurred to me that I could email the Eggcamper manufacturer directly to inquire about the dimensions, so I've done that. If I hear back from them, I'll post here.
songsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I emailed them this morning and got a response back today and 9 attachments which I haven't opened yet so I am betting you will hear something pretty soon. I was inquiring about the material they use for cupboard doors so your response might take a little longer but, they will not ignore you because I have emails with them before!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Lori, welcome to FiberglassRV. Yes, members are always interested in direct information from manufacturers and I know those that are interested will appreciate any information you can post.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hi! We too are a family of 4 so exploring all the options. Dont forget about Lil Snoozy which has a queen bed and 2 bunks or Parkliner which also has a Queen, 2 bunks and only 15 ft in length total. Both with full wet baths. We had the chance to take a quick peek inside an Eggcamper that had been traded at a dealership and was being made ready for it's new owners who won it on ebay. The isle was huge with plenty of room to sleep a child or adult for that matter. You could even set up a cot. If you could figure out how to secure a bunk over the side bunk I'm sure that would work too. I dont know why Eggcamper doesnt offer sleeping for 4. Dont know how old your kids are but mine are 9 and 15. Thankfully my 15 y/o daughter is barely 5 ft and 98 lbs so can sleep in a space generally recomended for younger kids. The Lil Snoozy and Parkliner bunks are designed to hold adults where Scamp's upper bunk is limited to 90lbs so depending on your kid's ages may be a factor. The Scamp upper bunk can be re-enforced for more weight as plenty have done it here but stock cant hold much. Lil Snoozy is also all electric if that is what drew you to Eggcamper.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting! Ask anybody on this site, over the past 3 1/2 yrs I've attacked this problem from every angle. Thankfully Eggs are being built now that accomodates small families with small tow vehicles.

Melissa
Old 02-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
When we bought our EggCamper, Jim Palmer, the owner of the company, told us that some families take advantage of the wide, flat floor and have kids simply sleep on it, with feet or heads tucked up under the 54" wide bed. If your kids are under 54" tall you wouldn't even have to dodge them when you get out of bed!

If you didn't get the measurements you need, let me know and I'll go out and measure our EggCamper
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i met mr palmer last year at the rv show in grand rapids. that unit is very nice, seems very good quality to me.
i bet he can come up with bunks, if he hasn't already.
i will bet dollars to donuts he gets back with you quick though.

let us know what he says
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #7

Name: Lori
Trailer: None yet
New Jersey
Thanks, everyone for the replies!

I received some basic info from Jim, but no measurements yet. RayN, if you have a moment and wouldn't mind taking some measurements, that would be much appreciated.

The problem with bunking 1 kid on the floor is that they'd have to fight with our dog over the floor space!

melissab, thanks for the info about the Lil Snoozy and the Parkliner. The Parkliner is pretty much my ideal setup: queen bed - bunks - wet bath - tons of storage - all on a 15' setup = heaven! His idea to move the toilet towards the door to make space for the bunks is so simple, why doesn't everyone offer that layout option? Since they're only available new, though, I'm going to have to save my pennies! I hoped there's at least a possibility of finding a second-hand Eggcamper. My problem with the Scamp and Casita 16' is the tiny "full"-size bed - I don't think dh and I would fit very comfortably.
songsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #8

Yes Lori, that has been our dilema too, a comfy bed for me and my hubby who is 6ft and has 2 ft wide shoulders plus 2 kids. I'm only 5 ft so maybe we could sleep toe to head but am a little paranoid about being kicked in the face at night. Not a problem for him since my feet would barely reach his chest, lol. Now these new manufacturers popped up and seem to have solved all our problems but like you said they are $$$ and none will be available used for awhile I'm sure and depreciation is almost non-existant. We had ordered a Lil Snoozy with bunks but then we found out my oldest daughter needed braces so we've had to delay our purchase a couple of years till we're all done with Orthodontics. Ed on this group offered us his T@b and since it has a King Bed we jumped on it. Me, Hubby and my little one sleep in the King bed and my oldest sleeps on the isle floor. She better not grow any more as the isle is only 63" long and she is 61.75 inches tall, lol. Eggcampers do come up for sale periodically so if you could do a bunk mod over the side dinette that is probably going to be your best bet if you dont want to order new for awhile.

There may be one other option which is what we had planned on doing with the smaller bed and that is to build an extension so that you sleep lengthwise in the bed rather than widthwise. That should allow plenty of sleeping space. There are severl pix on here of folks who have done this mod but for the life of me I cant think what they titled it. Try "Bed Extension" or maybe "Sleeping lengthwise".
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #9

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
4th person in eggcamper

There is plenty of room from the dining area bed over to the sink/cabinet area. I have had one 13 year old grandson on the dining area bed and then a fold out cot like you would buy at any w-mart right up next to it, with another grandson and I can still get out of bed and walk past the cot. Putting a bunk in somehow would mess up a nice window area at the dining table.
I have had mine since fall of 2007 and like it a lot. Did mine as the kit version they sold back then. Kids grow fast, so remember that too.
I do not have dimensions as I reply here, sorry. Plenty sleeping room for a couple of kids,... but they grow fast, enjoy them. No need to sleep on the floor, unless you have sleeping bag or cushioning to put down for the night, but there is room.
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Side Dinette: 23" wide, 68" long
Isle: 70" from bed to bath, 41" from dinette to "kitchen." (Only 39" where the fridge sticks out into the isle.)
Attached Thumbnails
Back (Medium).JPG   Front (Medium).JPG  

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsparrow View Post
Thanks, everyone for the replies!
The problem with bunking 1 kid on the floor is that they'd have to fight with our dog over the floor space!
You're going about this all wrong! According to one political candidate, you can put the dog in a crate on the roof, then there's room on the floor for the kid! (Bless his heart, he's taken some heat for that, but surely his dog loves traveling outside... they always want to stick their heads out the window, right?)

Actually I'm beginning to think that what you really need is a hammock. Your youngster would probably think it a treat. Just figure out some attachment points, then hang the thing up at bedtime.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #12

Dont even have to hang it, there are self standing hammocks and the dog can sleep under it. Look Ma, no holes! LOL.

Tags
eggcamper