Clearing shower drain, Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #1

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
Clearing shower drain, Casita

After a very busy summer last year we parked our 2015 17' Casita for the winter. As I have begun preparation for our new season I have noticed that my shower drain is partially blocked. It will pass water, but rather slowly.

I am guessing that this has been asked and answered but I can't find any links, so I apologize in advance if it has.

Is Draino or a similar product acceptable. My guess is the blockage is an accumulation of hair and small debris. Do you have better suggestions than draino?

Wishing everyone a great, safe summer season!
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymcs View Post
After a very busy summer last year we parked our 2015 17' Casita for the winter. As I have begun preparation for our new season I have noticed that my shower drain is partially blocked. It will pass water, but rather slowly.

I am guessing that this has been asked and answered but I can't find any links, so I apologize in advance if it has.

Is Draino or a similar product acceptable. My guess is the blockage is an accumulation of hair and small debris. Do you have better suggestions than draino?

Wishing everyone a great, safe summer season!
Crawl underneath the trailer and remove / clean the shower trap
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our Casita has a slide type valve under the trailer to shut off the shower drain. Did you check that ?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #4

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
expensive....

Drano might be the most expensive product on the shelf...but IME it's the ONLY thing that works every time.....

once a drain is clogged it'll take a big application which will produce an unsettling reaction (fumes, noise) but it will NOT cause any damage to ABS plumbing.....

after that a small application now and then (especially to shower drains) will mean trouble free operation and quick draining pipes

think of it....you never wait for one of your wheel bearings to blow up before you inspect/grease them, do you?.....drains are the same...they, like everything else, need regular maintenance
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
First, I would remove the strainer and use a small wire to fish for a possible clump of hair. If that did not help, a plunger would be my next step.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Remember that if you do use a piece a wire and they have a hepvo valve it is only made out of thin rubber ( like dishwashing gloves) and you might put a hole in it.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Slow Drain

Casita 17's until recently had a gray rubber P trap that could be easily removed to clean. I heard the Casita recently started installing a Hepvo valve as many have converted the older models to. The Hepvo has a rubber like nozzle that could have gotten stuck together during the winter. Some hot water down the drain may open it up, if not you will have to dissemble it to open/clean it up. I would stay away from Drain-O since you will more than likely dissemble either style to clean them.
Eddie
http://www.hepvo.com/ make sure it is installed with the ribs pointing to down.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianocnj View Post
Remember that if you do use a piece a wire and they have a hepvo valve it is only made out of thin rubber ( like dishwashing gloves) and you might put a hole in it.
Really? Here I thought it was made out of PVC and the standard "J" trap Casita uses was that thin, pliable rubber stuff that get's punctured.

Hummm...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Really? Here I thought it was made out of PVC and the standard "J" trap Casita uses was that thin, pliable rubber stuff that get's punctured.

Hummm...
They are talking about the membrane that is within the Hepo. That membrane is what makes it work. Without the membrane being intact it is basically just a straight tube that allows odors to come up from the tank.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
They are talking about the membrane that is within the Hepo. That membrane is what makes it work. Without the membrane being intact it is basically just a straight tube that allows odors to come up from the tank.
Ohhhh, that makes perfect sense. I dumped the images out of my other post because they were meaningless.

Learn something new every day.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I just learned something new here. I assumed incorrectly that the drain had a "P'' trap. Is this supposed to be a better way ? The basic "P" trap has been working well for hundreds of years. Does the shower drain directly into the tank maybe ?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
This is what a cutaway Hepvo looks like. It can be mounted horizontally or vertically.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Attached Images

Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #13

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
yeah well....better mouse trap???

put me in the camp of sticking with what's worked for a hundred years...

it's pretty clear that the valve seals (if it's to stop odors coming up) and it's gonna take water pressure to open it, no?

or maybe "there's an app for that" and you gotta use your iPhone....
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #14

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
This worked well for me a few months ago before I had my rubber p-trap changed out with a Hepvo valve.

Make your own drain opener using a mixture of 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup white vinegar. Let the drain opener sit in the drain overnight, to allow it time to eat away at the clog. In the morning, run hot water down the drain.

Good luck .
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita