Casita Screen Door Sticks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
California
Casita Screen Door Sticks

Anybody have any experience adjusting their screen door? Mine gets hung up on the threshold/doorsill and lockplate. It was catching in the upper left corner until I was able to bend the hinges a bit to move it. But is still catches in the two other places, and I'm not sure I can bend the hinges any farther. I'm guessing there is a proper way to adjust the screen door, however Casita is closed for vacation this week. So I can't ask them. Now I'm asking you.... anyone... anyone?

2007 SD 17'
ArtWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Is this happening when it's sitting level on a flat surface or when you have out camping? If camping I would say you've tweeked the frame a bit in leveling.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Might also be loose hinge screws.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #4

California
Thanks for the suggestions,

I would be shocked to learn that jacking could distort a structure as strong and ridgid as a fiberglass 'egg' particularly in the area of the reinforced door frame.

The issue seems to be with the aluminum hinges. (Once the screen door begins to rub on the frame, the screen hinges bend a bit more and more each time you open the main door, which of course takes the screen door along with it, unless you remove the plastic latch.)

When the problem first occurred in Big Sur CA, I had to unscrew the screen and remove it just so I could get in and out of my trailer!

Since the hinges are riveted to the door frame, they must be adjusted in place. When I returned home, I was able to use some 'bending' tools to improve the situation. It no longer catches in the upper left corner, but now it rubs at the lower left corner, and on the 'lock plate.' but I'll bet there is a factory protocol for getting it right.

I am eager for the folks at Casita in Rice to return from vacation.
That said, they certainly deserve some days off, we are buying their products as fast as they can make em'
All the best to all who contributed!
Andy
Old 07-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #5

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
I have sticking issues. Generally it is a screw that needs tightening. The latch handle also occasionally needs adjustment. Door also seems susceptible to uneven setup. If you're on soft surface, recheck your levels after a day or two. Be sure to check the door frame hardware - might not be door but latch receptacle on door frame.
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Andy, Don't dismiss cabin distortion too quickly. We use stabilizers on all four corners of our EggCamper, and if I set it up too quickly and get a bit sloppy, or if one stabilizer ends up on softer ground and sinks a bit, it can torque the shell enough to make the door rub and stick in the door frame. All I have to do is slow down, re-level correctly, and all is fine again. Best of luck... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #7

California
Hi Dale, is your trailer a 16' or a 17'? The structure is quite different between the two. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #8

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
The EggCamper manufacturer lists ours at 17'. Also perhaps relevant to the discussion, ours has the 4" channel iron frame which makes it heavier and more rigid than later models with the 3" frame material. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:49 PM   #9

California
Hi Dale, sounds as though our trailers came from the same set of molds. So, if take your advise to heart and see if I can address the issue by using more care setting the jacks.

Tags
casita