Full timing in an egg? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
It is interesting. I think I see a subculture developing, but that shouldn't be any surprise. Some of the children of the 50s and 60s always have created subcultures, gone against the establishment.
The next couple decades should be interesting.
Nothing new here, we are just noticing what has been there for a looong time. The FullTime RV subculture has been around in the US since the plains indians invented the travois to pull behind the horses that the Spanish so kindly furnished. In Florida in the early part of the last century, they were known as Tin Can Tourists (reportedly because of all the cans they left behind). A 30's video reported a million people living in trailers and a million show up every year in Quartzsite alone. And then there are the Roma...

Unfortunately, society everywhere is distrustful of people who don't have a permanent, physical place where they can be reliably found, not just the US or CA.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
(reportedly because of all the cans they left behind)
I thought it was because they lived in aluminium houses

Yes, it weird how there is a misconception. It's expensive to do this, and one needs to set themselves up properly. That doesn't happen by being unemployed and sponging..

Oh well, the beauty is you never have to stick around the same folks long enough to care what they think
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #23

Registry
My reference to subculture is a minimalist subculture. Applies to homes rolling or fixed that are small with not a lot of extras.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'm a bit of a minimalist myself, but I believe the trend has been going the other way for a long time and will continue so. And I'm not just talking about North America, it was so when I lived in Europe and even the Chinese are equating SUVs with personal status ("You ARE what you drive", the unofficial motto of the unofficial state of So Calif).

www.jdpower.com/corporate/china/download/MDunne_ChinaSUVCulture_Jun2007.pdf
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #25

Name: Jeffrey W.
Trailer: In the market for a new or used Escape 5th Wheel
Colorado
Hi every one.
I'm going full-time in spring of 2011 and was looking to buy a used Scamp 5th wheel. I know that the Scamp has a plywood floor, with a fiberglass spry on it. The back side of the floor is exposed to the weather. Has any one had floor rot? Do you think that the Scamp is made for fulltiming and will it hold up? I don't want I be fixing things all the time. Like the cabinet rivets, they seem to brake off or pop-out. What about the door hinges, with the bolts on the out side, it looks like you can take the door off from the out side of the rig.

Thanks if you can help......
Jeff W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #26

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
I've just returned from 3 months in my 13 foot Boler, travelling from Ottawa to Albuquerque and back, with stops along the way for Habitat for Humanity Builds. I loved it. Managed the space ok AS LONG AS I had electricity. I missed my little dog, and if I get another, I would have to have air conditioning for the little critter, though I myself can do without it. Boler doesn't have a bathroom; as long as I can have occasional access to an clean, safe, exterior shower facility, I'm fine. Would need to add better internet access. (Living in Canada and travelling in U.S. makes that complicated.)
I can rent my 440 sq foot condo out on an annual basis; leave private or special stuff in existing storage space - I don't have much, as I have downsized over the last 10 years from a 4 bedroom house to the condominium.
I would love to do more extended trips, along the full-timing lines, but need to decide about a dog first - priorities, eh???
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #27

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I can rent my 440 sq foot condo out on an annual basis; leave private or special stuff in existing storage space - I don't have much, as I have downsized over the last 10 years from a 4 bedroom house to the condominium.
440 square feet? I would call that a Condo-minimum.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
440 square feet? I would call that a Condo-minimum.
Ha! Good one!
After 3 months in the 13 foot Boler, the condo felt palatial!
And, when I walked into my 25 foot Prowler, I knew I could live full-time forever in that one, with room to spare.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #29

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we, too, have had the serious discussion about full-timing it in a few years....and as much as i love our 13 footer, and have lived quite comfortably in it for (our longest trip) of 9 weeks, i have grave concerns about full-timing in it IF IT IS TO BE MY ONLY RESIDENCE. if, however, we have someplace to store those special things we may---or more likely, may not! ----need again, then i do believe we could be quite content in the 13 footer. but if not, i feel that i would want something bigger, something that i could accommodate the occasional visitor in, something that would have space to store my few remaining "prized possessions"....i guess that we'll know better in a few years, once we've purged alot of the STUFF from our home.

our friends have been fulltiming in their 35 foot "sticky" fifth wheel...a far cry from our 13' egg....but i can see the benefits--as well as the drawbacks--of ours vs. theirs.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #30

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Question is full time; I do not know, 13’ did family trip 6 of us in a home made trailer with 12' cabin (front projected out over hitch for 13' camper) for a month once in the 60's; 17' temp maybe for summer winter in Canada can be cold and usable space is just over 14'; boler has a furnace and we plan on using it for winter camping; in past 27' woods trailer was OK traveling around rural Ontario building homes with a crew (was still home for the weekend and had a vacations).

P.S. The woods had oven, microwave, tub, shower, full time bedroom in end, and all tanks above floor nothing to freeze.

Full time; At times our house seems too small (all the stuff) We all have hobbies

Do respect anyone that can, sounds like fun.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #31

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
I am not Flemming, but one day hope to. Just my 2 cents, but we have about five years before retirement and plan to ease into it and see if it will work. We enjoy out 17 scamp, but believe we will need a little more room to full time. We take it one trip at a time and see what works for us. As much as I hope it will work out, I'm OK with semi full time and owning a little place somewhere. I would say take it one step a at time. Sorry I rambled a Little bit here.
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #32

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Boler
Send a message via MSN to James Hutt Send a message via Yahoo to James Hutt
full timing in a small trailer

I once spent five winter months camped just off the beach in Tecolutla, Mexico in a 1975 13 foot Boler. Bought fresh drinking water and groceries locally and spent most of my time fishing for pompano. It was a super good time for me and I would do it again this winter if I was not on the waiting list for hip surgery. I have pictures if anyone is interested.
James Hutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #33

Trailer: Aliner
James, I'd love to see photos.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hutt View Post
I have pictures if anyone is interested.
I'm with Sharon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #35

I have gathered together some pictures but I am somewhat mystified about how to post them on this blog site.

Jim
Old 12-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hutt View Post
I have gathered together some pictures but I am somewhat mystified about how to post them on this blog site.

Jim
Jim, see if this helps... click here and wait for the page to load: Picture posting help by Donna D.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #37

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
I no longer have a residence. I have found that I cannot fulltime in my trailer without a storage space somewhere. I have different gear for summer and winter. I also have some tools to swap out as needed. Trying to carry everything gets too cumbersome and heavy. I do cover hundreds of miles traveling around and hitting my storage on the way. I tried to find the most central location I could. Mostly I like the minimum in my rig.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #38

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Minimum

Interesting thought David,

It made me realize that most of what we have in our home is memory stuff, tools and space for others.

The memory stuff is interesting because when you die hardly anyone wants what seemed so important to you. I think our value to other is in other's memory of the good deeds you may have performed for them. I think of my wonderful mother-in-law's kindness frequently yet I realy have nothing physical from her. Her legacy lives well in those who knew her.

If I did not have a home I would need a tool space like you. Definitely important to me.

As well our little home provides a place for us to welcome family and friends, absolutely critical for Ginny, even though we may only use it for that purpose 1-5 months a year.

Glad to know I have a friend with a tool depository....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #39

Pictures

These are some of the pictures taken during my five month stay in Mexico in my old 1975 Boler. I never once locked the door during my stay there.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0001.JPG   DSCF0002.jpg  

DSCF0004.JPG   DSCF0007.jpg  

DSCF0008.jpg   DSCF0010.JPG  

DSCF0011.JPG   DSCF0013.jpg  

Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #40

Name: gallagher
Trailer: looking/researching
Pennsylvania
James, it looks like you where living the dream of most of us. Thanks for posting pics! I hope to do the same someday
gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper