Furnace or cat heater for EGG Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Furnace or cat heater for EGG Camper

Saw some posts about these but can't find them again. Tried out our new Egg Camper, love it. The standard electric heater worked fine but to use it you gotta have electric. Wondering about the furnaces (expensive & seem too big). The cat heaters seem like they'd fit quite well. Wondering how much output for cold weather (how cold & how did/do they do the job?). Thanks a bunch.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is my install
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00730.jpg  
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Saw some posts about these but can't find them again. Tried out our new Egg Camper, love it. The standard electric heater worked fine but to use it you gotta have electric. Wondering about the furnaces (expensive & seem too big). The cat heaters seem like they'd fit quite well. Wondering how much output for cold weather (how cold & how did/do they do the job?). Thanks a bunch.

I would suggest you line out the pros and cons of each type.
From my understanding of Cat heaters the draw backs are increased moisture in the air, which results in condensation on interior surfaces, including windows. Another would be they are radiant heat and heat objects directly in front the heater that then heat the air. The combustion in where you are so ventilation is a must along with a low oxygen alarm.
Forced air furnaces circulate hot air which improves efficiency. Combustion is in a separate chamber vented to the outside. Furnaces have a fan that some consider noisy. The installation is more complex since outside vents must be installed.
Those are just some of I can think of at the moment.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 AM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Bob,

There are a couple of us EggCamper owners that are installing an Atwood 8012 II furnace ( Everest Star Furnace 8012-II ).

I haven't started the install yet, but the furnace itself is very compact and efficient.

Stay tuned.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Bob, Here's the thread:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...all-44312.html

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Last weekend I was finally able to try out my Cat 3P12 heater. At night, it was around the mid forties. We left it on all night to check it out. See my trailer profile to see location near door

1. The fan does make some noise, I thought it was about 1/2 the noise of our small electric heater fan when it's placed under our bed pointing out.

2. The heater takes about 15 minutes to fully heat up the element.

3. Most of the heat is radiated out in front, toward the front window, but it did heat up the trailer into the back window were my wife sleeps. It took about 30 minutes

4. There is a semi loud click when it turns on and off the propane? It didn't wake me, but I noticed it when I was awake. I am a very light sleeper.

5. After running it all night, I didn't notice any more or less condensation on the windows than not running it.

6. I did put a 1/8" crack in the window of the door just to make sure it had an outside air source. Since the heater is right there, I didn't notice any cold from this.

7. I didn't notice any change in the propane tank full gauge. I need to run this for a couple days at least. I also have a 30 lb tank.

I think this will work great for boon docking when we have no electricity, which we will start next year. When we have electricity I'm still going to use our small electric room heater and we just ordered an electric blanket because the electric heater makes to much noise at night for my wife. She didn't mind the propane heater, but did hear it.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
A 3000 btu portable catalytic heater, like the Coleman Black Cat that I have, will heat the trailer ok in above-freezing temps (I haven't tried it below that) with a couple of windows cracked open a bit. You can aim the heater at the bed or wherever you are. Above 50 degrees the heater will do great on low, 1500 btu. One downside is the little bottles will only last 6-7 hours on high.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Last weekend I was finally able to try out my Cat 3P12 heater. At night, it was around the mid forties. We left it on all night to check it out. See my trailer profile to see location near door

1. The fan does make some noise, I thought it was about 1/2 the noise of our small electric heater fan when it's placed under our bed pointing out.

2. The heater takes about 15 minutes to fully heat up the element.

3. Most of the heat is radiated out in front, toward the front window, but it did heat up the trailer into the back window were my wife sleeps. It took about 30 minutes

4. There is a semi loud click when it turns on and off the propane? It didn't wake me, but I noticed it when I was awake. I am a very light sleeper.

5. After running it all night, I didn't notice any more or less condensation on the windows than not running it.

6. I did put a 1/8" crack in the window of the door just to make sure it had an outside air source. Since the heater is right there, I didn't notice any cold from this.

7. I didn't notice any change in the propane tank full gauge. I need to run this for a couple days at least. I also have a 30 lb tank.

I think this will work great for boon docking when we have no electricity, which we will start next year. When we have electricity I'm still going to use our small electric room heater and we just ordered an electric blanket because the electric heater makes to much noise at night for my wife. She didn't mind the propane heater, but did hear it.

Danny,
We were just over near Camp Sherman. With the low temperatures in 40s even boiling water didn't produce much condensation. However in February we were at Big Bend National Park when night time temperatures got down to 5°. The forced air furnace kept up with the cold but it didn't take much to fog up the windows. Outside temperature and dew point make a big difference. If you're going to only camp during Oregon warm weather then you probably won't have much of a problem. I still think you should install a low oxygen detector and CO detector. It's too easy to NOT make sure there's ventilation.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Here's a picture of my catalytic heater with the Caframo Ecofan that circulates the heat. Since the fan uses the heat to generate its own electricity, it requires no electric hookup. Caframo- Innovation and Excellence
I've been perfectly comfortable with this arrangement in temps in the low twenties (F). As an important bonus, the setup is virtually silent. Mine is the smaller of the two fan sizes available, and is an early "wood stove" model. Though it's worked very well for my Trillium, if it ever quits on me I'll probably order the "gas stove" model .
Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium Heater 002.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Danny,
We were just over near Camp Sherman. With the low temperatures in 40s even boiling water didn't produce much condensation. However in February we were at Big Bend National Park when night time temperatures got down to 5°. The forced air furnace kept up with the cold but it didn't take much to fog up the windows. Outside temperature and dew point make a big difference. If you're going to only camp during Oregon warm weather then you probably won't have much of a problem. I still think you should install a low oxygen detector and CO detector. It's too easy to NOT make sure there's ventilation.

Byron, I agree with a low oxygen detector and co detector, we have both. I also agree that condensation is much worse in colder weather, but until I use the furnace in that cold of weather, I can't confirm that the heater will make it worse. My wife and I talked about cold weather camping and agreed that we will prabably stick to sites that have electric when it's below 40 outside. That way she can use her electric blanket.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Here's a picture of my catalytic heater with the Caframo Ecofan that circulates the heat. Since the fan uses the heat to generate its own electricity, it requires no electric hookup. Caframo- Innovation and Excellence
I've been perfectly comfortable with this arrangement in temps in the low twenties (F). As an important bonus, the setup is virtually silent. Mine is the smaller of the two fan sizes available, and is an early "wood stove" model. Though it's worked very well for my Trillium, if it ever quits on me I'll probably order the "gas stove" model .
Francesca
I've never seen anyting like that that can spin a fan without electricity and i looked at the link you supplied......
Can you tell me why you would want the gas model if you purchased again?________ as i may have to get one of these.
Thanks,
Joe

Update: I think i just answered my own question as the gas model will kick on at a much lower temerature (150 degrees for gas vs 300 degrees for wood)
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Can you tell me why you would want the gas model if you purchased again?
Update: I think i just answered my own question as the gas model will kick on at a much lower temerature (150 degrees for gas vs 300 degrees for wood)
Hi, Joe

That's true!
Though I will say that mine goes at top speed on low heat setting due partly to some efforts I've made to concentrate the heat at the base while keeping the fins as cool as possible. As I understand it, the whole thing depends on that differential.
My other reason is that extra (3rd) blade, which I think will circulate more air.

Francesca
Old 05-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
The cat heaters seem like they'd fit quite well.
The cat heaters may look small but don't forget to take into account the clearance around them that is required. For example the Wave3 heater requires the following clearances - both sides and bottom 4 inches, top 18 inches, front 30 inches. When you combine the heater size and clearance required, it takes up a much larger space than a furnace. It may be difficult to find a mounting spot with 30 inches of front clearance in a small trailer.

Some comparisons of a vented cat heater to a furnace can be found here. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-35952.html
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #14

Registry
It should be noted that clearances can be reduced by the use of heat shields, and that most catalytic heaters face out towards open space such as central aisles that are unoccupied by stationary objects.
The only so-called vented heater on the market is the very expensive "Platinum Cat", and reviews are decidedly mixed as to whether it meets the claims of the manufacturer per its superiority over any other catalytic heater.

Francesca

Francesca
Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #15

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
Cat heaters and fiberglass units don't mix ! Several reasons, condensation and fire if anything gets too close.

I am a boonDOCer and never use hook-ups. I don't like the forced air furnaces because they take too much battery power and the NOISE.

I am into my second installation of a 'POT TYPE' propane furnace. They are easy to use, QUIET,
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #16

Washington
CONTINUED from campfrugal.

Pot type propane furnaces also don't breath inside air and they don't exhaut to the inside thereby no condensation.

Used 'Pot type' furnaces can be found in RV salvage yards and on Craig's List for $ 25.-$50. The ones I have used are around 7500 BTU.

Most times I use only the Pilot lite for just enough night time heat. But, when
it's cold outside, I turn it up and it will get nice and toasty.

Doc
Old 05-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfrugal View Post
CONTINUED from campfrugal.

Pot type propane furnaces also don't breath inside air and they don't exhaut to the inside thereby no condensation.

Used 'Pot type' furnaces can be found in RV salvage yards and on Craig's List for $ 25.-$50. The ones I have used are around 7500 BTU.

Most times I use only the Pilot lite for just enough night time heat. But, when
it's cold outside, I turn it up and it will get nice and toasty.

Doc
What is a "Pot furnace"? I googled, ebay'd and Amazon'd it and all i can come up with is a pot for melting lead??
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #18

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hydroflame made the BCR 10 A it was a very good furnace , it used outside air for combustion and had no fan. Great for conserving battery life .
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #19

Washington
Pot furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken h View Post
Hydroflame made the BCR 10 A it was a very good furnace , it used outside air for combustion and had no fan. Great for conserving battery life .
Joe is correct, and Hydroflame is my favorite brand. These Pot type propane heaters were used in the '60s, '70s & 80s in many Truck Campers and tent trailers.

WHAT IT IS: a 6" diamater steel cylinder about 10" high with a circular burner in the bottom with outside air & Propane jet. Close to the top is the exhaust to the outside. The pot is contained in a fireproof double wall metal box. The heat escapes thru a grill facing the interior of the trailer. It uses a standing pilot light. The heat is controled by a dial.
No noisy fan, no battery drain and no darn condensation, YEA POT FURNACES.

Doc
Old 05-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #20

Trailer: 1977 Boler
Doc,
These camper heaters are great and came in many Bolers. I don't think many would dispute the value of fanless, noiseless heat.

Here's a video of one being fired:

Doc, have you got a supplier for these things? Could I buy another on the day mine dies?
Mark V. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper, furnace