Trillium 4500: Brakes? Sway control? Air shocks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2003, 09:15 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Trillium 4500: Brakes? Sway control? Air shocks?

I have done a search both here and on the web and I'm not finding what I need. I know there are a few other 4500 owners out there.

I am picking up my first egg in a few weeks. It is currently located over 600 Appalachian miles away. I have never towed anything before. And, I am likely to be in a hurry when I go to pick it up. Ergo, (eggo?) I am anxious to get all the set up stuff right before I tip this thing off the Blue Ridge.

I can't find any definitive information about the brakes this thing might or might not have and the current owners don't know. Does anyone know:

* Whether it comes standard with brakes?
* What kind of brakes are standard?
* Whether I need a controller in my vehicle?
* What else I might need to have ready to tow this thing safely back to Virginia?

Also, the current owner is recommending air shocks. My parents are adament that I need a sway control system. Are these necessary? Desired? Overkill for a 15 foot trailer?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:07 AM   #2

trillium 4500

There should be brakes installed on the 4500, as far as I know it was standard on 45's and 55's. You will need a controller on your car for them to operate. The toungue weight should be around 130-180 lbs. put this much weight on the car's rear and see if it needs to be brought back up by air shocks. I used air bags inside the spring coils, it was half the price. I don't have a sway control, and so-far have not seen the need for one, but I'm sure each vehicle handles differently when towing. The original connector on the Trillium I had was a 7 pin round. it had been cut off and a 4 pin flat put on, with the brakes disconnected. I put it back on, I like the assist given by the trailer brakes. If you have a 7 pin connector put on the car, you can always buy or make an adapter to go to the trailer, until you can change the one on the trailer. Much easier this way, than re-wiring the car again later.

Old 05-28-2003, 10:20 AM   #3

Thank you!

I figured they had to be on there, but I wasn't finding anything definite.

How do I know if the car needs to be brought back up? I regularly carry heavy loads in the back (I've had 400+ lbs. back there) and it does sink, but I don't know how far it is ok to sink.

The current owner is sending me a digital picture of the connector, I think she described it as being a "stud in the middle surrounded by 6 slots." Does this sound right?

My parents are used to towing a '33 Airstream, so I think they are overestimating the weight of this trailer. It sems to me that a sway control is going to add quite a bit of weight. I'll do it if it is necessary, but I think you are right that it is not needed on this small trailer.

Old 05-28-2003, 10:37 AM   #4

Connector

The round pin/six slots is a standard 7 pin plug, any hitch shop should be able to add it in, or yourself if you're a diy type, you will need a brake controller for the brakes, I towed mine home the first time without and found it really made my stop times longer.
If your car still sits reasonably level without air shocks and a 400 lb load, it's probably ok. Just try it with the weight as far back as possible, to simulate the toungue weight of your trailer.

Old 05-28-2003, 12:29 PM   #5

Thank you! Just the info I needed. I really appreciate your help.

Old 05-28-2003, 01:30 PM   #6

Trillium 4500

I just picked up a Trillium 4500 a few weeks ago and towed it 900 km to my home. It did have a Weathertronic brake controller on the tongue, but it was not hooked up. My Boler 1300 did not have brakes, so did not have a controller installed in my tow vehicle.

My tow vehicle is 4200 lbs, so did not need brakes, or equalizer, sway control etc. I have now installed a brake controller in my truck, but have yet to tow. I think if the trailer has brakes and you don't hook them up, there may be some potential liability if an accident occurs.

Mine also had the 7 pin plug

Old 05-29-2003, 08:09 PM   #7

Hello,

We have a Trillium 4500 (with no trailer brakes) and towed with a Subaru Legacy. On two trips of 5,000 mile duration we had absolutely no problems, no sway, and no problem braking. Now, after checking our insurance, maybe we were foolhardy and so we added brakes with the control in the car. That feature is very nice. You can adjust the aggressiveness of the brakes from the car and they do help you brake smoothly. I personally do not think a small trailer like ours requires sway bars.

That is our nickle's worth. Good luck with yours.

Old 05-30-2003, 08:22 AM   #8

Legacy and Forester

Isn't the Forester just a boxier version of the Legacy? Good to know you have had no problems. I think I'll go with brakes but no sway control for now. How do you feel about the shocks?

Old 05-30-2003, 11:29 AM   #9

air shocks

JR:

If ya drive at night, on a 2 lane road, the oncoming traffic will letcha know if ya need the air shocks. :)

Old 05-30-2003, 06:11 PM   #10

JR - the previous post is correct. I get folks flashing their lights at me quite often. Air shocks next!

Yes, the Forester and the Legacy are much the same.

Tags
brakes, trillium