Heading North - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Parkliner
Kentucky
Heading North

I've never been to Nova Scotia or Newfoundland and am looking for campsites once there. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thinking I will leave Lexington KY in my Parkliner around the middle of August for a month. Thanks in advance for any input......

John
Justabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Newfoundland

We have been 7 times and have stayed in both public and private campgrounds. Of late we have stayed in mostly provincial parks.

To get to Newfoundland you take the ferry from North Sydney. If you take the daytime ferry you can park in Chesseman Provincial Park on the TCH1 a few miles from the ferry terminal. If you want to just stop for the night you can park at the Visitor's center.

You should go on line to the NL Tourist Bureau and request their map and booklet. The map shows every Provincial Park. Most of the parks have some electric sites. You most always fell your water tanks and they always have a dump station. When you go to the first park buy a Park Pass $18, If you're a senior the sites are $9-14 a night.

We also stay in Codroy not far from the ferry a former Provincial Park ($30) because we like the people who own it and it's a great location with wi-fi.

On the way to Grose Morne near Deer Lake we stay at Gateway to the North. It is a Passport park and costs $17. It has wi-fi and a nice owner.

If you cross to Labrador on the short ferry to go to Red Bay, about 50 miles, you stay at the Gas Station. A great spot overlooking the harbor.

In Newfoundland you can park just about anywhere and not be bothered by the RCMP. As well you should feel safe. Newfoundland has the nicest people and the lowest crime rate in North America, 1/3rd of the best state in the USA.

If you tell me where you plan to stay or go we can tell you where we \have stayed but the provincial parks are very good.

On the way north we stop in Maine. We usually stay at Sunset Point in Harrington, another Passport Park where they will deliver boiled lobsters to your site for a very fair price.

We drive thru NS on our way to NL and only make one stop these days in Pictou. There we stay at Harbour Lights. Nice family owned big park of seasonals on the water. He lets us park down by the water in a tenting area. Facilities nothing to write home about but we like the view and owner.

Have a great trip.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Labrador

I was about to start a thread on this theme myself, so I'll just join in. I am in the throes of planning our trip. It will be three, three-and-a-half weeks, from VT via northern NH, Maine, NB, NS, ferry to Port aux Basques. Returning the long way, i.e. via Labrador and northern Quebec. My impression from reading Norm's reports and suggestions and reading the information provided by the provincial travel guide is that Newfoundland is well settled and has paved roads, albeit with a few potholes, but Labrador is pretty much wilderness and the long road is gravel and the settlements are few and far between. It may be slow going, and that is OK. The bigger towns are spaced about 300 to 400 miles, so unless I strap on some wing tanks, I don't make it. Hence my question: are there gas stations between the major towns?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This might interest you, if you haven't read it already:
Trans-Labrador Highway website - Home Page

Carl
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #5

Colorado
Thanks, Carl, very interesting. They do emphasize that there are long stretches between gas stations, although 250 km (~160 miles) is no problem. No external wing tanks needed! I imagine it should be about the same on all those roads. Fascinating landscapes.
Paul
Old 07-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #6

Florida
Paul and Carl.

Since our trip they have paved most of the Labrador highway. Only the Newest section around Lake Melville is unpaved.

Our Honda CRV only had a 15 gallon tank so we concerned about gas stations. We wrote to the tourist bureau and they sent us a list of every gas station, the owner's name and the owner's home phone number. On the section from Labrador City to Manic 5 there is very little but there is a gas station about half way. We stopped there and had some marvelous soup as well as fueling up.

Newfoundland's Primary roads particularly the TCH 1 are excellent roads. The road north along the Western Peninsula to Gros Morne and other sites is also good. It's some of the less traveled side roads where you find the pot holes.

We have taken the trip you describe, up the west coast of Newfoundland to the short Labrador Ferry to Red Bay and than across Labrador and down thru Quebec. It took us 2 months to complete that trip, of course it was all gravel back then and we're historically slow travelers. With our little side trips we drove about 4,000 miles over 2 months, averaging about 70 miles a day.

Newfoundland is well settled but not densely settled, Towns are small. You can not expect to stop in a town and find a lunch spot unless you are in the more tourist traveled areas.

Since you're going up the Western Peninsula Gros Morne should be a stop, it's large with much to see. W have probably spent a few months there over the years. At the northern end of the Peninsula is L'Anse aux Meadows, a verified Viking site, also worth a stop. If you're going during iceberg season and this year is a big one, you should drive to St. Anthony at the Northern tip (check before going).

On the road back thru Quebec before the great dam at Manic 5, you pass a huge ring crater, plainly visible on any map of Quebec; it is some 65 million years old. This crater is now a reservoir for Manic 5.

It turns out that there are enough gas stations as you might expect. We simply filled up when ever we came to one.

Jealously wishing you well

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks Norm

Not sure how long the remaining unpaved section on the THL is, but I would recommend carrying an extra spare tire for the trailer, and maybe one for the tow vehicle as well (people will just bring one of their winter tire to use as a spare just in case).
Service stations are far, and being stranded because you just blew a 2nd tire on the gravel road can cost you a lot of loonies up there...

There is no cell phone coverage up there, but I think they have a sat phone loan program.

Being from Baie-Comeau I've been to Manic 5 a few times, but it's been a few years since I drove up there. Touring Labrador and NL is in my plans one day, but for now the wife and daughter prefer the warm beaches of North Carolina. Go figure...

Carl
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #8

Florida
On our first trip to Newfoundland we did carry a second spare, partially because a friend drove the road in a Lexus SUV with low profile tires and blew 2. Fancy tires can't be found there, Lexus flew 2 in.

Trailer parts are readily available as are normal tires. We stopped in a former Provincial Park near Labrador City and the owner was building a trailer for his father with all locally procured parts.

We carry a tire plug kit and have used it about 6 times over 14 years. It allows the repair of screw and nail holes, quickly and easily. We also carry a small compressor.

There was no cell coverage except in cities. We did go to the visitor's center in Happy Valley and were directed to a hotel where they do lend a sat phone that you turn in at Labrador City, no charge. For travel in Canada Verizon converts our plan to cover Canada for $12 a month for phone and text. Data is too expensive. We go to CAP centers at libraries, town halls or schools where you can generally park outside and get on their internet. (CAP stands for Community Access Program)

Road signs in Quebec are typically in French as compared to much of the rest of the country. The two campgrounds we stopped at on 389 the owners only spoke French. Ginny made me stop and get a French to English dictionary. Our smart phones are not so smart without data services.

On route 389 from Labrador City to Baie-Comeau there are emergency phone towers where you can stop and make an emergency call. As you approach Manic 5 from the north there is a severe 18% grade with switchbacks that goes down beside the dam. We waited at the top to make sure no one was coming up. It used to be gravel and may still be, this part of the road is in Quebec.

Route 389 is a very 'curvey' road. The last time we drove it there were numerous lumber trucks on it. Baie- Comeau has massive lumber mills.
There is one totally abandoned town on the way south from Labrador city with sidewalks and curbing, a good boondock site. Baie-Comeau is a nice town.

Here's a link to the Crater north of Manic V.

https://www.google.com/search?q=queb...gYASVuhVswAAAA

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Ferry reservations

I strongly recommend that you make your ferry reservations [Eastbound] as soon as you have dates. 1 - 800 - 341 - 3781. www.marineatlantic.ca If you plan on returning {Westbound} before the Labour Day wknd (Sept. 1st.) make a return reservation. After Labour Day and the kids get back to school, things slacken off a little. They have reduced the number of trips to two(2) per day in both directions this year. 1145 and 2345 are the times.
In case of delays or re-scheduling for weather, breakdowns or other unforeseen circumstances they will revert to a 'load and go' system until the backlog is cleared. The earlier you have made your reservation, the higher you will be on the list to get processed for a space.
I can recommend River of Ponds Campground in River of Ponds on the Great Northern Peninsula. And a stop for fish burgers at the snack shack in Sally's Cove is always on my list.
Call the tourism office at 1 - 800 - 563 - 6353, tell them your plans and ask them to send you everything they have.
I can't stay to welcome you, I'm westbound on the 16th. at 1145 but enjoy your visit.
Scouter Dave
Old 07-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #10

Colorado
Thanks, Norm, Carl for your very useful and appreciated information. I do not know how much our three weeks will allow us to see, but I would like to make it as far east as Gander if we can. I read a few stories about how well those people treated the flood of stranded fliers on 9/11, so, go there as a tourist and spend a few bucks as a small token of appreciation. A link to a couple of Tom Brokaw videos:

Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #11

Colorado
Thank you Dave. I'll be making reservations very soon.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #12

Florida
Paul,

We just returned from the Gander area. We stay at Notre Dame Provincial Park, one of the sites on the water. Their showers are spotless. They always have a boil order posted.

I must say that we are off season travelers so we never see the summer crowds. Reservations may be necessary particularly for an electric site. Lots of families, Newfoundlanders are campers.

I'm sure the people in Gander are nice, Scouter Dave lives in Gander, certainly a fine example. My experience in Newfoundland is that the people are always nice. In total we've spent more than a year there and I have never had a bad experience of any kind.

When you get off the ferry in Port aux Basque I would stop at the visitor's center, it's always open when the ferry comes in. The people are nice and will give good suggestions.

Three weeks is not very long for Newfoundland. Our first visit, before RVing, we thought we'd see the whole island in 12 days. I doubt you could see everything in Gros Morne in 3 weeks. In our 12 days we mainly saw Gros Morne and L'Anse aux Meadows. We did cross over to Labrador for 2 days, staying at a B&B and visited Red Bay. In Red Bay I saw the dirt road heading Northwest. I asked Ginny where that went and in my head that was the start of our cross -Labrador trip and why we bought a little trailer.
Red Bay is a solid day at the museum and hiking about, the restuarant near the museum is good.

Driving about don't hesitate to stop and ask questions. On the way to Red Bay we saw two women working a 'side of the road garden' we stopped and learned all about these gardens.

If you intend to go to the 'Meadows', let me know.

When are you leaving? If it's soon you might catch an iceberg and they are not far from Gander.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #13

Colorado
Norm,
Thanks again for your info. L'Anse aux Meadows is on my wife's list and, also in that area, my list includes Conche, to see the French Shore Tapestry. The Provincial guide book says it was inspired by the Bayeux Tapestry. We did not stop to see it when camping 40 years ago in France, to my art-historian brother's great disappointment, so I have to see this one for his sake and tell him.

It looks like we'll leave here on 8/24, ferry to the island on Tuesday 8/26.

Among other things, I always pack a tire plug kit, 12 volt compressor, hand pump, a folding pruning saw, a propane torch to light a campfire, road flares, a decent tool box, Lexel adhesive/sealant, Swiss Army knife and, of course, duck tape. Bear spray? maybe, have not decided yet.

I do not have my hopes up for seeing the icebergs this late, but will be looking out for them.

Paul
Old 07-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Paul
I believe it is illegal to bring 'Bear Spray' across the border into Canada, do not try it! The CIS people can get pretty sticky about stuff like that. If you really feel you need it, buy some up here. From my experience I would not waste my money on it.

Have a good trip

Sandy C.
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:48 AM   #15

Colorado
Thanks for the heads-up about the bear spray. I was leaning towards not bothering with it already. Crossing that border is interesting. The list of banned stuff also includes plants growing on both sides of the line, kiwi fruit (that I actually bought in MI and did not eat before crossing back to VT on my way home last year), and now the bear spray. The next time we are going to eat all fresh stuff in the fridge!

I heard/read that speaking softly and backing up slowly while keeping the conversation going is as effective as anything in a bear encounter! (And moose or strange dogs, too.)
Old 07-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #16

Florida
Paul,

I'll doubt that you'll need bear spray. We've seen very few bears in Newfoundland and Labrador and never while out hiking. As well we've only seen black bears, less aggressive than grizzlies or polar bears. Moose are another issue. A portion of the TCH has moose protection, 10 foot high fences and near Gander they have moose radar to warn of moose entering the highway. If an approaching cars flash their lights it means moose in the road.

The moose will sometimes just stand in the road. all you can do is stop and wait. As well we drive with a wide view including the usually cleared sides of the road.

The only thing we've had taken in Newfoundland is root crops, particularly potatoes when leaving. No plants can be brought in or taken out.

If you're going to 'the Meadows' drive by the meadows and go to the end of the road. There is an excellent small restaurant their, the Norseman.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

We carry a tire plug kit and have used it about 6 times over 14 years. It allows the repair of screw and nail holes, quickly and easily. We also carry a small compressor.
That is a really wise idea. We have a small compressor and the tire plug kit we will be added before the next trip.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Parkliner
Kentucky
thanks to all for this excellent discussion. Very very helpful
Justabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Wrong number

Sorry! I gave you the wrong number for Marine Atlantic. It is:
1 - 800 - 341 - 7981 I say again, 1 - 800 - 341 - 7981.
[How did I do that? I have it on speed dial]

There is still space available but the reservation desk recommends that you make your reservations as soon as possible, particularly if you plan on a night crossing and taking a cabin. Good luck. SD
Old 07-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #20

Colorado
Thanks for the erratum, Dave. I am thinking of the daytime crossing.

Tags
parkliner