Casita Registration Renewal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Every year I am in shock and awe over the cost for camper tags here in Arizona. Lets see, I bought my Casita For $15639, paid $930 tax when I drug her to my home state. At three years old tags are $167.20 this year so let me break this down in my mind. Average 15 trips a year so for the privilege of using the state hi way system it cost roughly $11 bucks and change to drive to the campground. Registration is 8 bucks and the rest are "taxes". Should be able to get a permanent tag for $30 bucks, yearly tags should be $8 bucks.
$15,600 isn't a lot of money for a RV, what about these 100 K motor homes? Who do I write?, where can I protest with a sign, who can I blame?, That's my rant and I'm sticking to it!, To much time on my hands I guess, I need to get to the cool mountains for my 20 day stay and relax and enjoy the smell of wet Forest and booming Monsoon thunder!, I'm going nuts in this heat between trips! 114 today!!
shane n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Maybe you can register in anothe state?
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Shane, look on it as a contribution for the privilege of living and working in Arizona (both the tag fees & temperatures are part of the levy for being an Arizonian in the Phoenix area) and take solace in you're helping the state in it's hour of financial need.

Hope your retreat to the high country comes soon for you. I am looking forward to getting up to the Cloudcroft area in a week or so. Our temps are not as high as yours, 99 degrees now and mid-90s tomorrow, but it is somewhat more humid than normal and makes it feel worse.

Can't remember what I paid in New Mexico, but I did get a permanent tag. Our tags and registration as well as tax on autos/RVs are much lower than in AZ. But from what I have heard, Arizona does not look kindly upon people who are living/working there and not having tags from there.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Shane,

I feel your pain, as I live in Arizona too! I don't have a trailer yet (still looking) but I know our automotive tags are plenty high!! Ouch!

Wow a trip to the mountains to enjoy our booming Monsoon thunder storms sounds great! I can't wait to do it. What a nice way to get out of this heat for a bit.

Enjoy!

Dale, in Gilbert
2010 Nissan Frontier CC
Dale AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Most trailers 16' and under qualify for Permanent trailer registration in California.
After you pay 8 1/2% sales tax and a registration fee renewal only costs $10.00 for 5 years which is the only good deal we get in California.
California is the only state where PU license fees go up instead of down.
My 07 Tacoma went up $50.00 this year to $256.00. I bought my grandson a laptop for Christmas and paid 8 1/2 % sales tax and a $25.00 recycling fee.
I bought my other Grandson a 19 inch flatscreen TV for his dorm room and paid another $25.00 recycling fee plus tax which figured out to be a total tax of 18 1/2 %.
I feel your pain but be glad you don't live in the land of the #####, nuts and high taxes on EVERYTHING.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #6

Trailer: R-Vision
John, Didn't your state just pass a law to give chickens more room to live?
Should help run the price of eggs through the roof.
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Perry J... By the time all those electronics are kaput... they'll have figured out another fee for that!!! I wonder what the disposal fee would be for a fiberglass trailer???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Shane - My tags in Texas are a third the cost of yours... but since I last bought my tag, our Casita has been out once. Only once, and it isn't likely to go out again until after I have to buy another new tag.

That's my fault, I know (or, at least, my circumstance) - but if you break it down as you did yours, I'm paying about $50 per outing, just for the tag. Good for you that you're able to get out more often and get your "tag's worth"!!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
I wonder if it isn't cheaper for some of us to purchase a moving permit for each trip instead of obtaining full registration? California has such a permit for $18. Other states might have something similar.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I saw on Youtube somebody was converting a beat up trailer to a chicken coop- so it will address all these problems!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
John, Didn't your state just pass a law to give chickens more room to live?
Should help run the price of eggs through the roof.
Mike, there's another Bill about to be introduced to turn Michael Jackson's Neverland in S Cal into a State Park even though most State Parks have been closed due to a 20 billion dollar deficit.

Alf, you pay a recycling fee when you purchase any electronic device. Then the county dumps charge a fee when you dispose of them.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool

Quote:
Hi: Perry J... By the time all those electronics are kaput... they'll have figured out another fee for that!!! I wonder what the disposal fee would be for a fiberglass trailer???
Nothing because fiberglass trailers are never disposed of, they are just renovated!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Just be grateful they have not started doubling your annual vehicle tags just because you live in a big city like they've done here.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Roy in TO... Next thing you know they will put on a "Torruna Toll" for driving in TO... and double it for towing. We have some benefits for living in the "Sticks".
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
They should have done the "Torruna Toll" first. It was a bad political decision to have residents pay double taxes that benefits non resident commuters. Double dipping on land transfer and vehicle taxes makes it much more attractive to live outside of city limits. Considering that one already gets much more for less out of town.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Come on out to Mississauga.... Hazel would love to have you
Paul Riehl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, registration, title