New to the Forum - Casita 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #1

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
New to the Forum - Casita 16

I'd like to introduce my 1990 Casita, 16', to the listings. Presently "Toots" is being restored at Reedsburg WI. I plan to tow with a Subaru 4 cyl. Outback Wagon, so everything heavy will be replaced with everything light and sturdy. Perhaps it will be completed near the end of the month.

Everything will work, everything will be waterproof, everything will be strong. No one, including myself, will ever guess that this was close to becoming dust in the AZ desert just 3 years ago. It's been interesting and expensive...and my family and I will enjoy it for many years to come.
monasimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Be sure to share pictures of the restoration with us.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Casita Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha D View Post
Be sure to share pictures of the restoration with us.
Marsha d.

Delivery is expected mid-December. "Toots" is being restored by a business that usually restores the interiors of airplanes. Business owners are friends and formers neighbors. The business is located next to the Reedsburg, WI airport, near Wisconsin Dells.

This 1990 Casita was ready for a landfill. Somehow, I let my imagination run wild and bought it for too much money. " In for a penny, in for a pound." That's pretty much the way it's been going ever since.

The restore began in Spring in 2009, first it had to get ready to travel from AZ to WI. Brakes, bearings, tires, sway bar, lights, propane tanks, front jack and so forth.

Once here, the outside was painted, clear-coated, etc.. Looked good on the outside, smelled bad on the inside.
Summer of 2009, talented friends contributed time, talent and encouragement as the interior rear floor was discovered to be disintegrating, leaking water tank and hot water heater. And, so we removed the back 1/3rd plywood and replaced it with 5/8th's inch marine plywood. The floor surface is vinyl in a 9 inch tile pattern.

New tabletop was made and installed. New microwave, new cushion covers, new curtains. I can upholster, so those jobs were do-able.

It began to look better, still smelled badly. Floors that were "bouncy" in the front 2/3rd's needed attention.

So it was gutted.

I've kept a photo journal, before, during and, hopefully, after. I'll need help in posting. That too, will come to pass.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
You bet we're interested! Can't wait to see what you've done and hear all about it!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hi from another new person. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the restoration story.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Hi and welcome to the forum. Yep, we love pictures. We'd love to see what you did to that little Casita to make it your very own.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Will be very interested to see the changes. Been getting lots of great ideas from all the changes made on other builds. Take it to the scales when done for a final calorie count :-)
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Mona. I had a 1989, 16 ft. Casita for a few years - lots of things about it I loved - so I'm especially interested in seeing what you've done (or are having done) to yours. Mine had the air conditioner in the back window, the refrigerator was 2-way (propane & 12 volt), and the converter ran all the time if we were using the refrigerator on 110v power.

Does your Casita still have the carpet on the walls? Might that be the source of the, umm, "smell"?

Good luck with it - one of these days it will be camping worthy!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #9

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
cant wait to see some pics
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #10

Wisconsin
Rat Fur Begone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Hi, Mona. I had a 1989, 16 ft. Casita for a few years - lots of things about it I loved - so I'm especially interested in seeing what you've done (or are having done) to yours. Mine had the air conditioner in the back window, the refrigerator was 2-way (propane & 12 volt), and the converter ran all the time if we were using the refrigerator on 110v power.

Does your Casita still have the carpet on the walls? Might that be the source of the, umm, "smell"?

Good luck with it - one of these days it will be camping worthy!!
Mary,

Yes "Toots" 1990 Casita was carpeted. It was beginning to come off the ceiling in one spot. It gave me the creeps just to imagine what was living in it, between it and underneath it. Cricket skeletons were abundant.
Restoration experts gave advice on what to re-do the interior with. Reflectix, Alumalite,headliner fabric,fabric covered vertical wall panels and so forth. Every material that replaced the heavy and smelly carpet was lightweight and stable.

Keep in mind that the tow vehicle is a 4 cyl. Subaru Outback Wagon.

All floors are now plywood,covered with vinly flooring in a tile pattern, and the bathroom FG floor replaced. All doors, including bathroom door are made of alumalite, white. Storage openings in benches are also alumalite, as the originals were heavier than necessary.

Walls will take 10-12 yards of tightly woven upholestry fabric. Ceiling took 10 yards of headliner (from JoAnne Fabrics, on 40% off sale).

All mechanicals and lines leading to them have been replaced. New hot water heater, portable potty, stove,water lines and drain pipes are new.
A/C and refrigerator work just fine.

Recycled items were incorporated into the fix. A one step outside platform was donated to the cause by friends who wanted a 2-step. I found a bag of white porcelain knobs at a rummage sale, $5.00. Vinly floors were end of the roll,from other projects. Upholstry fabric was bought at a "bankrupt and liquidator" outlet.

Labor costs will be high, but the job will be done right. I have been pleased with the work, so far.

I intend to post pictures when the job is complete, and when I can figure out how to do that. Thanks for your interest.
Mona Simpson
Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #11

Wisconsin
1990 Casita Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Will be very interested to see the changes. Been getting lots of great ideas from all the changes made on other builds. Take it to the scales when done for a final calorie count :-)
Bordon, Yes, the weight will be obtained when the job is done. And, then. I'm going to pack lightly. Anything heavy will go in the tow vehicle.

Thanks for the interest.
Mona
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
[QUOTE=monasimpson;231089]Bordon, Yes, the weight will be obtained when the job is done. And, then. I'm going to pack lightly. Anything heavy will go in the tow vehicle.

Whether in trailer or in your tow vehicle it still counts toward your car's gross carry capacity. Measure the tongue weight, fuel weight, cargo weight, and passengers weight, then compare to your GCCW listed. good luck and post some pictures.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #13

Ontario
Registry
At 16' it is around the size of our boler at 17' 4". I do believe your walls are a bit thicker construction, for more strength. We also have a 4 cylinder ‘Corolla’ with a tow package from dealer; proportional breaking system a progressive transition cooler and a custom made class 3 hitch.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #14

Ontario
Registry
To meet Ontario's laws trailer needs brakes as boler is over 50% of tow vehicle weight and load-equalizing towing system to get the required tongue capacity and keep the load level. You may need a similar setup.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #15

Wisconsin
Good to Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
At 16' it is around the size of our boler at 17' 4". I do believe your walls are a bit thicker construction, for more strength. We also have a 4 cylinder ‘Corolla’ with a tow package from dealer; proportional breaking system a progressive transition cooler and a custom made class 3 hitch.
Borden,

The brakes were one of the first things that were installed. I also use a sway bar. Traveling at 55mph, I believe I'm OK. I've got to find out what a progressive transition cooler is. The hitch was installed at the Subaru dealers. There are a lot of "newbies" out there on the road. I'm one of them, and willing to learn. Hopefully, learning will not be the hard way.

Mona Simpson
Old 12-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Maybe that's a progressive transmission cooler?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mona, brakes on the trailer and a transmission cooler are BOTH good for your tug. It appears you are planning ahead. Good for you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita