2016 tacoma 4x4 to tow escape 5.0 TA ? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #101

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I would have to compare my Toyota side by side to your Nissan to see the differences in suspension. It's been my experience that Toyotas come with stronger components. I'm willing to be proven wrong!

The underside of that truck doesn't look too bad. Lower-hanging stuff than my truck, but not bad.

I just remember parking next to a new Nissan at a trailhead this spring, and thinking the suspension and axles didn't look as robust as a Toyota or have as much clearance. Could be that they're just built "different", and because it's not what I'm used to seeing in Toyotas or domestic trucks, I just assumed it was weaker.

I'll post a photo of my truck from the same angles once I'm back in town (takes too much data when I'm posting from my cell signal) and we can compare!

I can't say how the modern trucks compare, but I know that historically Nissan has not built trucks as beefy as Toyota. They've always been great trucks, but they were just going for something different.

I don't mean to start a Toyota vs Nissan similar to the Chevy vs Ford stuff...but maybe that's what I'm doing.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #102
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've got the S model. Bottom line 4wd work truck. Crank windows, manual locks.etc. Carol has the "rock climber" ( called a Pro x I think?) which is Nissans version of the Toyota TRD. I suspect both have suspensions that are quite different than mine.

Some folks get quite defensive when something they own is criticized. I don't. I chose what worked best for me. As I said earlier, my next truck will probably be a Honda. Nobody thinks that's a real truck. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #103

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I've got the S model. Bottom line 4wd work truck. Crank windows, manual locks.etc. Carol has the "rock climber" ( called a Pro x I think?) which is Nissans version of the Toyota TRD. I suspect both have suspensions that are quite different than mine.

Some folks get quite defensive when something they own is criticized. I don't. I chose what worked best for me. As I said earlier, my next truck will probably be a Honda. Nobody thinks that's a real truck. Raz
It's not a real truck until you get to the one ton dually
All the rest are just glorified passenger cars.
My truck has lots of features and rides like a car but it would make a lousy work truck.
As Raz said I bought what works for me .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #104

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah and I should know better than to criticize.

I'll just state my opinion, rather than being generous about it, and be done with it: In my opinion and my experience, when it comes to offroad and general sturdiness, Nissans have always been "Toyota-lite". Just like Toyota, but a little less expensive, a little less reliable, a little less strongly built. For every 1 Nissan that's built as an off-road machine by the owner, you see 200 similar Toyotas. There's a reason for that and it's not just a "bandwagon" thing. When small 4x4s really took off in the US market in the 70s and 80s, Toyota had the Landcruiser and pickups with sturdy components and a solid front axle. Nissan threw together a quick 4x4 with IFS (independent front suspension) and weaker components.

Now to me calling a Nissan a "Toyota-lite" is not an insult, but I know if you're a loyal Nissan owner it probably feels like it, and I should know better by now than to criticize stuff like this. Someday I'll learn...But it's not like Nissan said "hey, let's build a flimsy truck!". They're just aren't going for the extreme toughness that Toyota has made it's calling card. They know not everyone wants or needs that.

Toyota uses stronger components. You can put the same shocks and springs on a Nissan as there are on a Toyota, but if the axle isn't as strong and all the connecting parts are made out of thinner metal, it's not going to be as strong.

For most people these things will never matter. For how they use their truck, they don't need the extra strength. So why not save some money? I'm beyond hope. I just love Toyotas and will spend the extra money. There was a time I was really close to going with Nissan because of the price difference, just like I was close to buying a full-size Chevy for the extra power with similar fuel mileage. But it's too late for me now...

And yeah, as far as "real truck", Toyota in the US market is a different truck than Toyotas in other parts of the world. To meet US safety standards and the comfort expectations of US consumers, they are built with less toughness and less hauling and abuse capabilities as the Hilux Toyotas outside of North America. I think this happened with the Tacoma model. Before that they were more or less the same, other than double cabs having been available since the 70s outside of North America. Our Toyota pickups are really pretty wimpy in a lot of ways...like Steve said - glorified passenger cars.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape