Lite House wheel bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2018, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Lite House wheel bearings

Anybody know what kind of wheel bearings the Lite House campers use? I would like to get a set to carry as backup.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
That would depend entirely on what make and load range axle you're riding on...

Is it a Dexter, Rockwell, Lippert, AL-CO, Redline, etc.?

What is the load rating?

Does it have electric or hydraulic inertial brakes, or no brakes?

Does it have removable spindles or regular axle hubs?

Need some specific information on it if you want an educated answer to your question. (GI-GO)
There are too many unknown variables out there to just give you a generic "one size-fits all" answer.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #3

Washington
Registry
Sadly, there pretty much all made in China nowadays, even Timken bearings.

But, brand aside, you would still have to know who (manufacturer) made it and what load range it is to properly spec the set you'll need. For example, the bearing sets for a Dexter 3,500 Lb. rated axle are about half the size of their 5,200 Lb. rated axle.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

Minnesota
Registry
Yes, I was hoping somebody has already done that research specific to the Lite House. The camper has a torsion axle, but it is so small that I'm sure it didn't need more than a pretty light axle, but haven't found any definitive info.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #5

Minnesota
Registry
Somebody claims the following specs, but they are of limited help:

Axle weight (empty): 855 lbs
Total weight (empty) 950 lbs
Cargo capacity: 500 lbs
Gross axle weight rating: 1300 lbs
Gross vehicle weight rating: 1450 lbs

They were built in the mid 1990s.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You should probably inspect and repack the wheel bearings in any event. The bearing will have a number on it. Take that to Bearings R Us and they can ID and give you a list of comparable bearings.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
If it is one of the older "Lite House" trailers, that were originally made in New Mexico back in the '90s, there were only 66 of them made before the company folded. I believe that "Little Joe" may have also made a Lite House trailer, but I'm not absolutely certain on that one. In a worst case scenario, if you can't source any specific axle information, I'd pull the bearings out that you have, clean them up, and take them up to your local auto parts store. They can measure them and order you the right size replacements if they don't have them on the shelf.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Taking the bearings out, getting the part numbers and/or taking them to a bearing supply, or to NAPA is the only sure way to get the right ones.

Even with my 2015 Oliver with 3500 lb Dexter axles I had to get information from others that had actually taken out the bearings and researched. I wasn't ready to service them yet and wanted a spare set.

Then, in addition to the right size, you can select from different manufacturer's, prices, seal designs, etc.

So, next time you grease them, take the time to measure and select new ones.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #9

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
If it is one of the older "Lite House" trailers, that were originally made in New Mexico back in the '90s, there were only 66 of them made before the company folded. I believe that "Little Joe" may have also made a Lite House trailer, but I'm not absolutely certain on that one. In a worst case scenario, if you can't source any specific axle information, I'd pull the bearings out that you have, clean them up, and take them up to your local auto parts store. They can measure them and order you the right size replacements if they don't have them on the shelf.
Weiscraft still makes the Little Joe using the Lite House molds, but the running gear is different I believe.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #10

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Taking the bearings out, getting the part numbers and/or taking them to a bearing supply, or to NAPA is the only sure way to get the right ones.

Even with my 2015 Oliver with 3500 lb Dexter axles I had to get information from others that had actually taken out the bearings and researched. I wasn't ready to service them yet and wanted a spare set.

Then, in addition to the right size, you can select from different manufacturer's, prices, seal designs, etc.

So, next time you grease them, take the time to measure and select new ones.
Yeah, that is probably what will have to happen, but it was worth a shot
Old 08-31-2018, 12:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When you repack your wheel bearings, read the number stamped on them.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The next owner will appreciate a spare set of bearings, since it's not likely you'll need them.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #13

Minnesota
Registry
As is usually the case, having spare bearings will mean I will never need them. But I see trailers left on the side of the road all the time, often due to bad bearings... usually boat trailers, here in Minnesota, but the principle applies. I'd rather be prepared than have to try to find bearings in a small town on a Sunday night or something. Spare bearings are not that expensive and don't take up much room.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:09 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm still running on the original bearings ( 2008 ). They have been inspected and repacked every couple of years ( and again two weeks ago ).

If you do the maintenance, you won't need spare bearings. Those trailers at the side of the road were ignored until they broke.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm still running on the original bearings ( 2008 ). They have been inspected and repacked every couple of years ( and again two weeks ago ).

If you do the maintenance, you won't need spare bearings. Those trailers at the side of the road were ignored until they broke.
I think you are right!... Still I carry a set in a little plastic peanut butter jar, pregreased and wrapped in an old sock (Just to wipe my hands)...
At least I have them in case I need to stop and help one of those aforementioned poor ignorant souls!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:27 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

Old 09-01-2018, 12:29 AM   #17

Registry
One problem with carrying around spares that won't be used is that if the time should arise when they're wanted they can't be found.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Boat trailers tend to put the wheel bearings into the water when launching and recovering the boat. Even if sealed the hot bearing going into the cool water tends to cause condensation. Makes them more prone to going bad if not maintained well.

I have a brake hub with the bearing already pressed in. I have common bearing size but uncommon brake hub size and with 4 bolt pattern not 5 bolts. Means replacement could be hard to come by and might take a couple of weeks to arrive so I carry a spare. Also the hub insures I won't lose the bearing set as easily, sort of like chaining a gas can to the bathroom door key at a service station.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #19

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have spare hubs for my boat trailer, but not my FLexiride axle Scamp.
Since I keep closer track of the Scamp so far I haven't felt the need for it.
I use bearing buddy trailer hubs to keep a little internal pressure on the hub so grease would rather go out than water in.
The EZ Lube hubs on the Scamp make it easy to put new grease in the hub, but also easy to put too much in as well.
They are vented to keep them from being too full and give the excess a way out.
I think that is good for the Scamp and perhaps not as good for a Boat trailer.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite house