Noise from behind the heater Trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #1

Name: MELISSA
Trailer: Trillium
ID
Noise from behind the heater Trillium 1300

Our battery has never worked in our 76 Trillium. Finally got a new battery, hooked it up and there is a VERY loud running noise from behind the heater. Turned off the breaker, tried messing with the pilot/on/off toggle for heater, nothing. Posted on Facebook group. Someone said it sounds like the water pump. How do I disconnect this so that we can hook up the battery and go camping tomorrow? I have yet to mess with water in the camper and not sure I want to deal with it quite yet. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Don't think I can post a video on here of the noise. Sorry
Mel P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Do you have a power control center? If so, what model?

Do you even have a water pump? Standard Trillium was vacuum faucet, no pump.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:16 PM   #3

Name: MELISSA
Trailer: Trillium
ID
water pump

So it is the water pump. Looked under the seat and that was the culprit. It is OLD! We have never used water in it, so it has never been an issue. One person on Facebook mentioned that it could be a vacuum seal problem causing it to run continuously. I am just trying to figure out where the power control center would be and where a fuse might be. It is a 1976 1300.

And thank you for your assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6685.jpg  
Mel P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
every camper Ive ever had with a water pump had a water pump switch somewhere, the pump only runs when its switched on...
Attached Thumbnails
81tS0bLJV0L._SX466_[1].jpg   RV-Water-Pump-Water-Heater-Switch-Panel-New[1].jpg  

Attached Images

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sure looks like someone just put the pump there. It should have a switch, but maybe the person doing the work didn't do it right. Pump running continuously just drains the battery and ruins the pump. Time to start tracing your wiring. Certainly what I see in your picture is not inspiring.

Trailer has had 43 years for various owners to change stuff.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah if there's no water in the lines and the pump is on, it will run continuously. It hasn't happened to me in a while, but if I completely run out of water, the pump will run until I shut it off.

If someone installed that pump themselves, they could have put the switch anywhere. You'd like to assume it's somewhere easy to access...but people do some crazy things. Search around for the switch.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel P View Post
... We have never used water in it, so it has never been an issue. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
... Search around for the switch.
Or just undo the wire nut on the black to white connection from the pump if you dont plan to use the pump at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled-1 copy.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium