u-haul door seal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul
any one have a sub or lead on what to use to replace the door seal , mine is so bad that when it rained last night it flooded the u-haul.

help
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
any one have a sub or lead on what to use to replace the door seal , mine is so bad that when it rained last night it flooded the u-haul.

help
Terry, is the seal a flat, ribbed rubber seal about 3/4" wide? If so, I believe it can be replaced with a rubber seal carried at Camping World. It may not be identical, but would work. weather seal

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #3

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I found this self-adhesive, ribbed, rubber seal in Home Depot. Applied to the door and also to the cabin frame, this has kept the rain out despite the poorly matched up door.
Attached Thumbnails
doormo1.jpg   doormo2.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Another solution...

We installed trim seal on the doorway and removed the weatherstripping that was on the door itself. In addition to sealing the door, the trim seal also covers the raw edges of fiberglass on the doorway. A small section of fiberglass in our doorway was slightly thicker than the rest, and the trim seal wouldn't fit over it, so we had to sand it down a bit with a dremel tool. Otherwise it was easy to install.

We also diverted water from the doorway with an Eze Gutter. (The Eze Gutter is available in an off-white which is a great match for our U-Haul - unfortunately we learned about it after we installed the ultra-white, which is what is shown over the doorway in the photo here. The off-white is visible over the window.)

The trim seal was from Austin Hardware, and the Eze Gutter from www.rvgutters.com.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uhaultrimlock009b.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	5140
Attached Thumbnails
uhaultrimlock012b.jpg  
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
SD 351 or SD352 is what your looking for....

http://www.uni-grip.com/FLAP_2.html

Quote:

help
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #6

Unhappy

[quote]Another solution...

We installed trim seal on the doorway and removed the weatherstripping that was on the door itself. In addition to sealing the door, the trim seal also covers the raw edges of fiberglass on the doorway. A small section of fiberglass in our doorway was slightly thicker than the rest, and the trim seal wouldn't fit over it, so we had to sand it down a bit with a dremel tool. Otherwise it was easy to install.

We also diverted water from the doorway with an Eze Gutter. (The Eze Gutter is available in an off-white which is a great match for our U-Haul - unfortunately we learned about it after we installed the ultra-white, which is what is shown over the doorway in the photo here. The off-white is visible over the window.)

The trim seal was from Austin Hardware, and the Eze Gutter from www.rvgutters.com.

Attachment 5140

I hope that I am doing this post correctly. I have a 1984 U-Haul. My door leaks. Do you know which trim seal number I should order, Jeanne & Steve. Please help! Thank you.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Patty,

We used this for our '85 U-Haul, and after we installed it we adjusted the door latch to make sure the door fit snugly when closed, but was still able to be locked. (This is done by loosening the bolts inside the closet and sliding the hardware piece outside the closet forward or back.)

We weren't aware of the door flaps that Andy mentioned when we ordered our trim seal. In addition to sealing the door, their shape creates a better gutter than our trim seal for diverting water around the doorway. If we had it to do over again, we might order the door flaps instead. However, I think either product would work well.

I think it would also help you to try to divert as much water from your doorway as you can - we did this with Eze Gutters.

Good luck!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
I hope that I am doing this post correctly. I have a 1984 U-Haul. My door leaks. Do you know which trim seal number I should order, Jeanne & Steve. Please help! Thank you.
Thanks so much, Jeanne & Steve.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #9

Thanks everybody, i think Andy Earthman has the one suggestion that looks like whats on the door now.

now i just wish i had replacement seals for my stock tail lites/brake lites
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #10
WOW

Name: Tim
Trailer: Market
Florida
i have the vt uhual what i used was the sliding door weather seal from a 2002 dodge caravan that i got fron a salvage yard for 15 dollars works great seals like a boat hatch now
WOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #11

Scamp has a really good door seal. It reasonably priced and ships fast. I used it on my boler and loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Dennis Hannaburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:39 AM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
For those with UHaul questions, you may want to check out the UHaul Campers group on Facebook, too. We have over 500 members and quite a bit of experience with fixing these little gems. Good luck!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #13

Jeanne and Steve: I want to order the same seal you showed in your photo for my Uhaul. Unfortunely your link does not work. Do you have the actual item code? I am guessing it may be SD-351. Is that right?

Also, did you something on the bottom of the door to create a seal there? If so, what did you use?
Gretchen R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #14

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen R. View Post
Jeanne and Steve: I want to order the same seal you showed in your photo for my Uhaul. Unfortunely your link does not work. Do you have the actual item code? I am guessing it may be SD-351. Is that right?

Also, did you something on the bottom of the door to create a seal there? If so, what did you use?
Would be good to know
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul