Ordering new Scamp - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #61

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
CG- a comment on quote #9 below. If I understood correct, Floyd states that Scamp is FINALLY putting something on their door at the bottom. But it's highly noticeable and just my thoughts here, casts a negative image on the trailer with the glaring dirty door bottom. I eliminated that during the first year of ownership!

Check out my fix that I've used for the past 4-1/2 yrs with zero problems. My door is still clean and looks new...the way it should in my opinion. And no, they offered NO solution when I purchased my 13' Scamp new in 2010.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...7626474795019/

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
We picked up our 16' deluxe this October, and having spent over 25 nights in it already, and towed it over 5,000 miles, here's some comments/suggestions about options:

9. If there is an option for some sort of plastic toe kick cover on the door, I'd buy that in a second. The bottom foot of the rat fur on the door gets dirty, especially in wet climates.

You are going to LOVE your new trailer!

cg

(and I see I need to change my signature file)
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #62

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenaw Bob View Post
Hi Beardrum,

Just a note on your item #4: as I understand it, the fan will work off the battery whereas the AC needs an electrical hookup. That would be a reason to get both.

Headroom with side cabinets - how tight is it? I've looked at a bunch of pictures and it looks like several inches of space when people are seated there.

As to the wheel on the jack - I'm considering ordering that but wondered if there is any issue with trailer movement when parked and unhitched? Even with wheel chocks I'm afraid that the tongue wheel could allow a minute amount of pivot when moving around the trailer. Thanks for any insight on this.
We have side cabinets on our prefire Scamp13D. No problem even though our headroom is less than The 16 or the postfire 13
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #63

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Bob, I had the same concern about the wheel, but it went away when I saw the pad on the tongue jack, and Big Dave at the factory was handing me a wheel that will swap out with the pad by simply removing a clevis pin. You get both.

I'm 6'0" tall, and sitting at the dinette, my head brushes the bottom of the cabs, especially as I get in and out. If I were a half inch taller and if we were going to use the full dinette a lot, it would be a deal-breaker (for the side cabs), but with how we plan to use the trailer it's not too much of an issue.

You are correct about the fan - it's 12 volts and the AC requires 110. A consideration, indeed.

I gotta go load the trailer for a brief weekend trip - maybe I can get a photo of people sitting at the dinette. If so, I'll post it.

I also gotta say, all in all, we are loving the trailer.

cg
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #64

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Darral, that kick plate is exactly what the doctor ordered ... you had to replace the pop rivets along the bottom, right? Or were you able to tuck the whole thing into the existing edge moulding?

cg
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #65

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks CG .

NO pop rivets removed what so ever! This is a bit detailed, but I used wax paper to trace the door trim area as seen in the picture. I then laid it on a piece of thin (apx 1/64) alum. flashing and allowed 1/8" or so around the trim area perimeter. Then, YES, I basically tucked the alum. down in behind the trim. In the bottom center, you will notice a small cutout to clear the two rivets.

One little trick here; you can press on the top of the alum in the contacting area of the ratfur. Hard to describe, but I used my finger to pull the ratfur (marine upholstery) and let it lap OVER the top of the alum as best I could. This helps hold the top of it in place AND well...sorta looks better .

Finally, I ran a small clear bead of 100% silicone rubber around the perimeter of the alum flashing where it contacts all the trim and the rubber guide. And as I stated in the previous post, over 4 yrs and no problem with it. You could use thin brass; I know another owner that has used thin plastic.... anything to protect the material from under-the-Scamp exposure.

Feel free to ask any more questions. I've enjoyed this mod and enjoy sharing it for anyone that finds it of use. HOPEFULLY....Scamp has truly resolved this blaring poor design!

Quote:
Darral, that kick plate is exactly what the doctor ordered ... you had to replace the pop rivets along the bottom, right? Or were you able to tuck the whole thing into the existing edge moulding?

cg
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #66

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I agree having the 12v fan is a must if you ever camp without electrical hook ups.

Bob when using a wheel on the front jack you can also use a wheel dock for it. The dock keeps it the wheel from moving to much & prevents the wheel from sinking down into gravel or mud as well. It will also prevent the weight of the tongue from leaving a dent should you park your trailer on a nicely new paved driveway on a real hot day... let you guess how I know that! :-O I have a slightly different one than in the link that is more of a square with a flatter bottom, that allows me to move the wheel about 1/2"-1" with a real good push when hooking up assuming there are no other wheel or rear jacks etc in place preventing the trailer from moving.

Agree with the others that the sway issue mentioned is not something the factory has much control over. Its up to the party loading the trailer it to making sure they have the trailer level when hitched (if not level then slightly down of the hitch is much better than up on the hitch) and they have enough weight over the axle or a bit ahead of it. There is an online Caravan Stability game you can play that can help a lot in understanding where we place items in the trailer impacts its stability.

I have found that with our light weight trailers if your running it at 10% or less of the total axle weight on the tongue something as simple as an empty propane tank or putting water in the hot water tank or rear fresh water tanks, a bike on the rear hitch can change the stability on a light trailer quickly and not in a good way. Especially if you travel at freeway speeds and get a bit of a side wind! Thats not usually the case when dealing with heavier trailers - it takes more than that to result in a change to the % on the tongue. Personally have found that I need to run with a tongue weight over 10% on my trailer to achieve a stable tow in all travel conditions. The added weight on the tongue means I need not worry so much about whether any of the tanks are empty or full.

Weighing the trailer loaded is the first step in correcting a sway problem. If you don't know the loaded weight of the axle just weighing the tongue isn't really going to be much help. When weighing the tongue make sure the trailer is sitting on level ground and the tongue sitting at the same height it is when connected to the tow vehicle..... otherwise you will end up with inaccurate weights which will not help in correcting the sway issue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #67

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
To fix the dirty door bottom on our 1990 Scamp 13', I applied the "D" weather strip around the door, and around the door opening, AND loosened the door threshold to slip a flat piece of aluminum stock under it, retightened it, and slipped another piece of the "D" weather strip along the leading edge of it.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #68

Registry
Quote:

cg
All new Scamps now come with a black plastic "kickplate" installed across the bottom inside of the door. This is a recent change in the last couple of months.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #69

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2019 16' Scamp; tow vehicle: 2010 Ford Escape V6
Michigan
Just had a call from Jim at Scamp. Sometime in the next several months they are going to be offering some type of sound system as well as a fold-down TV.
Keweenaw Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #70

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
All new Scamps now come with a black plastic "kickplate" installed across the bottom inside of the door. This is a recent change in the last couple of months.
Floyd your The Man when it comes to all things new at Scamp!
Old 11-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #71

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Did Scamp hire someone new who lives in the 21st. Century? Scamp Updates??? Changes??? Improvements??? Be still my beating heart!!!

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Did Scamp hire someone new who lives in the 21st. Century? Scamp Updates??? Changes??? Improvements??? Be still my beating heart!!!
Constant improvement for forty years, while staying loyal to a solid design.
Too many to list just post fire.
There is young blood now , but hopefully they will continue to be cautious with change.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #73

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
So will the new sound system have an 8 track or cassette player

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #74

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Reel to reel of course! Gotta be careful about those new fangled technologies!
Superlatives and Stereotypes are, sadly an ingrained part of the human psyche
Old 11-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #75

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=Briantb;493221]So will the new sound system have an 8 track or cassette player

Wow, that's great....I still have both plus the R to R
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #76

Registry
[QUOTE=Borrego Dave;493227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post

Wow, that's great....I still have both plus the R to R
Dang and here I thought I was being a pack rat by holding onto my CD's!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #77

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
LP's, 45's, 78's? They don't work well on the road, but once you put down the stabilizers...
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #78

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
I would have the 3-inch lift added. This will enable you to upgrade to a 14-in tires without any problems. You can order a bigger bed.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #79

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Dave the production manager from Scamp called. They are starting our 16'deluxe this week .He needed to finalize our specs. All good.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #80

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Dave the production manager from Scamp called. They are starting our 16'deluxe this week .He needed to finalize our specs. All good. Ken

Color me green with envy. And spank brand new Dee-lux 16 footer. Oooo, Ahhh, and so forth.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp