Your top options for Scamp 13' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Lots of good advice here. I agree about more outlets, both 12V & 120V. The only issue I see is predicting where you want them. I have added some, and want to add more since I now see how we use the trailer and places we want power. I use the outside 120V when hooked up to shore power but before I cut it in I just ran another cord from the Park pedestal so could really live without the outside 120, particularly since I plan on doing more and more boondocking. I do want more 12V interior (and an exterior) outlets but I think Scamp gets $75 each or so (and are probably not making much money at that) and I can put several in where I want them for less than that.

All that said there is one feature I wish I had that I would have been willing to pay for from the factory, a silverware drawer. Running a new receptacle or two seems pretty easy compared to making the drawer, cutting out the fiberglass, installing slides, etc. Get the drawer! And yes do not let them mount the slinky tube on the front.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Couple of additional personal preferences... feel free to ignore!

The curtain rods from Scamp create 24 holes in the outer shell (which require periodic maintenance). If it were me I'd have Scamp omit them. If you order the full- width front and rear cabinets, it would be an easy DIY to hang rods from those
The extra cabinets would in turn be held in place by rivets.

Any rivets which might fail over time are those which suffer some sort of insult or stress, the curtains and the front tube hardly present such a threat. The only periodic maintenance involved with rivet construction is button cap replacement from sun exposure and there are no button caps on the front tube to replace.
Clearly curtains are worth the "risk", especially since virtually none exists.
There is no reason to distrust rivet construction in fiberglass trailers which is a proven construction method with an unrivaled reliability history.

It would seem that "Rivetophobia" so advanced as to forego curtains to avoid rivets might descend into paranoia at the prospect of owning a whole trailer actually constructed using these menacing and notorious devices and thus precluding its purchase altogether.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We ordered our Scamp new in 2010 and as it sits, here are things "we wouldnt/would live without".

#1 Bathroom w/shower & sink. After camping this past weekend at Mc Farland CG in Florence, AL, you would see why. Nastiest bathrooms I've ever found in a campground ANYWHERE! And sadly, one of the most beautiful Tenn. River fronted parks you'd ever want to visit! (I spoke with the mayor about it yesterday)

#2 A/C Just wouldnt camp in this Tn. humidity without an A/C. Been there done that! I ordered the heat strip ($80 extra). Would NOT do that again when we can run a small $10 wally world heater just as easy...plus "heat rises".

#3 3-way Fridge- love the 12v going down the road...then ac at CG. If you're off the grid and love propane usage- it's gas too.

#4 Screen door/awning as they compliment each other hand-in-hand. Going in and out of the camper during rain, you're covered. We spread a piece of outdoor carpet underneath the awning...very homey feel.

#5 And CABINETS if they're available! Very important for that little bit of extra storage. We got the two rear side cabinets. The larger rear cabinet isnt available with a/c and fantastic fan both installed.

#6 Didnt order it, but definitely an outside GFI 120v plug! I installed one myself.

Finally;
We camp strictly electric so I didnt and still wouldnt get a furnace. As mentioned in another post: e-brakes, 12v outlet(s) inside- I had 2 installed- one on the bulkhead where you come in and one at the end of the kitchen sink cabinet; we got a Fantastic fan but I would get the next one with a thermostat!; we swapped the "reading lamps" for the dome lights underneath our rear side cabinets (PLENTY of reading light). They also give a MUCH better "warm" lighting effect!

I think that about covers our most wanted and unwanted items on the Scamp.

Darral
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Another vote to not forego the grey water holding tank, here's why:

More and more campgrounds and state and federal parks are requiring "Closed Self Contained Drains" What this means is that the days of draining your gray water into an open bucket setting on the ground may be numbered.

Reasons cited are primarily that open water containers attract animals and said animals also turn them over while trying to sample the contents.

The good news: At some sites that require this containment, they are allowing external gray water tanks, as long as they are hard connected to the drain, usually with a hose with fittings at both ends. CA State Parks and Beaches currently allow this option. In CA, those sites requiring being "Fully Self Contained" also require a toilet w/black tank or a Porta-potty

The bad news, not all facilities requiring full self containment accept this option for the gray water tank.

That said, the gray water tank, although sometimes a pain to empty, is a good option on a new trailer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I don't know why but I thought of this thread when I saw this today!
Attached Thumbnails
10336607_10152493379747912_8817744650090330812_n.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
... extra cabinets would in turn be held in place by rivets.... There is no reason to distrust rivet construction in fiberglass trailers which is a proven construction method with an unrivaled reliability history... It would seem that "Rivetophobia"...

Mercy, Floyd! I agree that rivets are a perfectly good construction technique for FGRVs. I might say something about being possible to have too much of a good thing... but I won't. Peace!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Rivets...much discussed.

Yes, I'd be happy if they were gone. It would make for a cleaner look just as eliminating the seams in an Airstream would improve the looks.

However our Scamp is now 23 years old and it still works great. Certainly the caps are a wear item, if they lasted I would accept the rivets even more easily.

Off topic, one of the neatest things in the Scamp are the fabric walls, I'm overwhelmed how well it has stood up. We cook every day and still the fabric looks new, at 23 ......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #28

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I may be odd, but I like the look of the rivets, especially on an airstream. I was an aircraft mech for over 25 years. I've repaired and replace the skin on wings and fuselages. When done properly, it's very light and super strong. It has a mechanical appeal to me. I prefer a machine that looks hand built, as opposed to something that looks extruded. The new Ford F 150's are almost all aluminum and held together primarily with rivets, although they are not visible. What is old is new again. JMHO.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp