Any interest in a Shock absorber kit for Scamps? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #21

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Another thread ruined by thread drift.

This is my final plea to stay on topic.
If this plea doesn't work then I don't know what to say.
8 posts from 1 person that completely ignore the request in the original post seems a bit rude to me. If you want to start your own thread about "Shocks dont work on torflex axles and I can prove it" please use the new thread button and dont pollute this thread.

For those of you that have difficulty understanding English here is the pertinent part of the original post

"Please reply if you might be interested in adding shocks to your Scamp."
Old 09-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would say one does not need shocks with a torsion axle however that does not mean that no benefit can be derived from adding shocks.

Torsion rubber getting an assist over part of it's range of compression might extend the life of the rubber. More so for people that would wear out rubber as opposed to having rubber just get too old.

I think getting shocks that provide the right level of added suspension at the right point in wheel travel would be key to getting most benefit from adding shocks. Or if one wanted a leaf spring suspension which I think a few have done.

Needed? Not really but if my trailer tended to the heavy end of that model (while still within axle rating) or one did a lot of rough road travel it might be a modification worth considering.

That they use shocks in Europe with torsion axle is not an argument for or against. It just indicates that shocks can be used with torsion axles and in some markets they are more common. Not much different than some markets in N. America people use snow tires, other people use all season in same market, and some don't have any reason to consider snow a factor.

Think the OP is wondering if investing time/money into offering this product will find a market, not trying to create a market by advocating people need this product.

I'm not in the market for adding shocks but it would be nice if future posts to this thread were answering the original request to find those that are.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
This European argument is tired and old. It makes no reasonable sense at all. UK drives on the left so we should too. They use a circle with a number to indicate maximum speed, so we should too. Tow rating on their diesel vehicles are different the US ratings on the gas powered vehicles so we should adopt the same rating, etc., etc., etc.
I really don't understand this response, but I do understand the function of damping
While leaf springs definitely benefit from dampers the rubber can use some help as well.
Rubber as a spring is naturally damped to some extent but not completely. When the weight is added to the system the frequency is lowered. If the natural frequency happens to coincide with the sway frequency and the coupling to the car is also not well damped the sway will increase. It it is damped below the resonant frequency then the sway will naturally decay.
Just adding shocks without regard to other factors may result in an overdamped condition.
Check out the cut sheet that relates the supplied shocks and the weight range of the load.
The RIGHT side of the road driving Germans have probably calculated this pretty well. They also tend to over complicate things quite often.
Personally I think that properly selected shocks would add safety and stability to the towing system.

As to the kit I am game for one. I think that a system similar to the AL-KO might be also worthwhile if available in the US for the US axles. Unfortunately the slot is not there in the us axles.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Casitas use the same torsion axles as Scamp. All you need to do is view the video about pre-shocks and after-shocks to determine if shocks are important to you. I've read about boondockers of all molded towables that make my socks sag!

What I think and need may not be what YOU need. Check it out and make your decision...
Old 09-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Have I been mislead? I thought rubber torsion axles provided the same effects as shock absorbers. If that's the case what the purpose of add shocks, isn't that like adding additional shocks to auto?
Just what I was thinking, too!

Spanke
Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Over complicate

[QUOTE=redbarron55;484536]I really don't understand this response, but I do understand the function of damping

"The RIGHT side of the road driving Germans have probably calculated this pretty well. They also tend to over complicate things quite often."

Over Complicate is too kind of a phrase . Having worked on German and Swiss machinery , it seems as if they purposely try to make a simple problem into a complex one . For what it's worth I have read the Casita Forums , watched the before and after video of the shocks in action and have seen the Orbital shock kit at the Green Eggs & Ham Rally . If the shocks help keep my cushions in place ,my cabinet & refrigerator doors closed and my wife complaining about the mess when we arrive at our campsite , there worthwhile TO ME
Old 09-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
There are a few threads that might offer some insight into the use of shocks with a trailer, both with leaf springs, and torsion axles.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...fit-26439.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-37396.html
Old 09-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #28

Trailer: Bambi
I think it's really great that someone is willing to invest their time and brain to make speciality parts for the fiberglass segment of the huge RV world. Plus, IMO, the estimated price to produce it is very reasonable.

When the time comes for me to have a smaller trailer as my primary, it will most likely be either a Scamp or Casita. Based on my experience with the non FG trailers that I have, both with Dexter torflex axles, one with shocks, one not, the first thing I will buy is one of these shock kits.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #29

Florida
In any case the shock needs to match the spring rate and the weight of the trailer for the maximum benefit. Too little damping and the extra oscillation will still be there, too much and the ride will be too harsh.
The AL-KO have four shocks available for less than 900 KG (green), 901 - 1300 Kg (blue), 1300 - 1800 KG (red), and 1801 - 4000 Kg (Black).
I understand that AL-KO may have a bad reputation (I don't know why) but there is a difference in design. The Dexter has four rubber cords for suspension and the AL-KO have three larger diameter cords.
I think the weight range is sel by the length od the cords in the axle.
If the AL-KO have three larger cords they may be more compliant, but there is so much that depends on the compound and the durometer rating of the rubber.
I think it is worth the cost, but I would like to have some idea that the shocks were matched to the spring and weight class fo the trailer for best benefit.
If the design of the aftermarket parts could be made as I suggested that would involve a bracket tying to the arm with the shock in extension like the AL-KO then those shocks could be fitted for a better match.
All that would be rewuired is the bracket that would attach to the arm instead of the brake mounting plate and then the rest of the AL-ko system would work. This would be easier and cheaper to fabricate than the mounting to the brake hhub aand give better ground clearance.
Just a thought.
If these axles had that darned slot then Easy-Peasy, but they don't.
Neither the AL-KO nor the Dexer have the mounting slot, but one bracket could be made for both, pprobably out of 3.8" plate bent to fit the arm with proper extension for the AL-KO geometry.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I think that single axle trailers (of any ilk) would benefit from shock absorbers. There is a lot going on that is not dampened by another axle. Just my humble opinion, I am not an Engineer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. As I move toward more use of my Scamp in general and particularly more boondocking over potentially rough terrain I will carefully consider the addition of shocks and probably do so.

I equate the shock issue to balancing trailer wheels/tires. A lot of people do not bother to balance them on a trailer. Hmmm, they are going down the same road as the tug and its’ wheels/tires are balanced aren’t they? I don’t want my egg beat, or shook to death any more than the tug!
Old 09-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
In any case the shock needs to match the spring rate and the weight of the trailer for the maximum benefit. Too little damping and the extra oscillation will still be there, too much and the ride will be too harsh.
The AL-KO have four shocks available for less than 900 KG (green), 901 - 1300 Kg (blue), 1300 - 1800 KG (red), and 1801 - 4000 Kg (Black).
I understand that AL-KO may have a bad reputation (I don't know why) but there is a difference in design. The Dexter has four rubber cords for suspension and the AL-KO have three larger diameter cords.
I think the weight range is sel by the length od the cords in the axle.
If the AL-KO have three larger cords they may be more compliant, but there is so much that depends on the compound and the durometer rating of the rubber.
I think it is worth the cost, but I would like to have some idea that the shocks were matched to the spring and weight class fo the trailer for best benefit.
If the design of the aftermarket parts could be made as I suggested that would involve a bracket tying to the arm with the shock in extension like the AL-KO then those shocks could be fitted for a better match.
All that would be rewuired is the bracket that would attach to the arm instead of the brake mounting plate and then the rest of the AL-ko system would work. This would be easier and cheaper to fabricate than the mounting to the brake hhub aand give better ground clearance.
Just a thought.
If these axles had that darned slot then Easy-Peasy, but they don't.
Neither the AL-KO nor the Dexer have the mounting slot, but one bracket could be made for both, pprobably out of 3.8" plate bent to fit the arm with proper extension for the AL-KO geometry.
I think you're on the right track. I wonder if it's even possible to design a shock with the required compression forces to fit on the short rubber torsion axle arm. If you look at an automobile shock they take all the vertical space possible. That is from the A-frame to near the bottom of the hood. They're also in direct line with spindle so there's no side load. Now you look at the small travel of the arm of rubber torsion axles and small amount of space to avoid side loading and get the right amount of air compression you've got a real engineering problem. I suspect that this is why Dexter doesn't offer shocks for their Torflex axles.

DONNA.... Could you provide a link to the Casita with/without shock video? I'd like to see if what I the video shows is true or not.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #32

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Another thread ruined by thread drift.

This is my final plea to stay on topic.
If this plea doesn't work then I don't know what to say.
8 posts from 1 person that completely ignore the request in the original post seems a bit rude to me. If you want to start your own thread about "Shocks dont work on torflex axles and I can prove it" please use the new thread button and dont pollute this thread.

For those of you that have difficulty understanding English here is the pertinent part of the original post

"Please reply if you might be interested in adding shocks to your Scamp."
I was going to ask if you had a set up for a Dexter 2200# axle,(Scamp13) but I DON'T have any difficulty understanding English, and I wouldn't have any difficulty building my own if I get a notion.
Now back to the regularly scheduled commercial.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #33

Florida
I am interested in adding shocks to my trailer!
There
Shock absorber should more accurately be called dampers like the Brits do. They so not absorb shocks, the springs do. The dampers dampen the oscillations caused by flexing the springs. The damping is necessarially dependent on the spring rate and suspended weight. This determines the resonant frequency of the system.
The dampers serve to dampen these oscillations and keep them within some limits.
The more important thing from our towing point of view is the damping in the side to side motion which is 180 degreesa apart. This translated into the swaying motion under the worst conditions and when braking and the trailer is coupled higher than the roll center of the TV causes upset in its stability. If the braking or turning forces exceed the limits od approximately .3G and the resuling forces put the TV in an oversteer condition a jack knife will occur.
Controlling these forces is why I want properly calibrated shocks for my trailer.
I tow with a 2009 VW TDI Sportwagen and when fitted with the OEM trailer wiring harness the cars stability system will activated the European mandated T-ESP control which will act to enhance stability of the system under this condition. The car will brake an individual wheel or wheels, accellerate, and give electronic assist in the proper direction to cancel the oscilations.
This is why I want to install the factory Westfalia kit in my JSW. ALso add the shocks as well.
Any car in Europe or the UK is required to have T-ESP to be approved to tow a trailer. Most do. I assume that this would include at least euro spec Subarus etc.
The european regulations and trailers are advanced compared to what is available in the US.
The key is properly calibrated shocks for the spring rate and weight. This is why I am leaning towards adapting the AL-KO axel and shocks to my 16' Scamp. The shocks are calibrated to the AL-OK axles and weights as I called them out earlier.
The shocks are valved and the lever arms and shock length are also engineered for the axles. How this would work when adapted to the Dexter I wouldn'r know, but the starting degree is the same and the ride heigth is the same so the rate must be similar.
The size of the shock other than the stroke length would not matter since overheating of the shock would be unlikley.
If you have looked at the pictures and video I have posted you will see that they are ( as the Brits would say) a pretty piece of kit.
The other adaption from the Casita setup from Orbital would also work, but as far as I knoe it would be a one size fits all and I don't know about calibration of damping.
Sorry for the long post, but sometimes it takes more electrons to say what I mean.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
DONNA.... Could you provide a link to the Casita with/without shock video? I'd like to see if what I the video shows is true or not.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #35
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Donna's vid pretty much tells the story. With hard, high pressure ST tires it is important (and difficult) to keep the rubber on the road and as the vid shows the shocks help do that.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #36

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Thanks Donna.
What I see is just exactly what I expected to see. The tires bouncing up and down with reference to the trailer. It's hard to tell but I don't see any difference between the two when watching the about of bounce with reference to stuff the trailer is driven past.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #37

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Thanks Donna.
What I see is just exactly what I expected to see. The tires bouncing up and down with reference to the trailer. It's hard to tell but I don't see any difference between the two when watching the about of bounce with reference to stuff the trailer is driven past.
To me it appears that both trailers bounce, but the trailer with the shock absorbers stops bouncing sooner than the one without.

I don't really have a need for shocks on my Escape at this time, but have no objections to others considering them for their own trailers.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Closed Thread

Tags
scamp