Looking at towing a Casita16' with 3500lbs Tow Capacity - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Name: Raj
Trailer: Escape Trailer - SOLD
Florida
Looking at towing a Casita16' with 3500lbs Tow Capacity

We are new to camping and are looking at trying camping in 2017.

This year our intentions of camping did not pan out well, due to an injury I am recovering from.

We have a 2010 Lexus RX 3500 with towing package of 3500 lbs with which we want to tow a Casita 16'.

I want some feed back from casita16' owners (& others) what towing capacities vehicles are they towing their campers with ?

Thanks
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita, 2002 Liberty Deluxe
California
Registry
I have a 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe. I tow with a 2013 Highlander 4WD that has a 5000# towing capacity. On grades, the car's automatic transmission is mostly in 3rd or even 2nd gear. On some back road grades, it is difficult to maintain 45 MPH. Gas mileage varies from 14 on fairly level roads to about 11 MPG on successive grades like West bound out of Death Valley to HWY395. Without the trailer I get 20+MPG. I have towed this trailer as far East as Arkansas, South to Big Bend in TX, West to San Diego and North to Skagway, Alaska. I have hit all of the Western US and then some. Love having my trailer in tow and being able to go into semi wilderness areas with it. Hint: close all the vents and windows when going on dirt roads. LoL Jim
Jim er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim er View Post
I have a 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe. I tow with a 2013 Highlander 4WD that has a 5000# towing capacity. On grades, the car's automatic transmission is mostly in 3rd or even 2nd gear. On some back road grades, it is difficult to maintain 45 MPH.
Refer to your Highlander manual. I tow with a Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport and following instruction in the manual, I tow in 4 ( not 4D or overdrive ).
I tow my 17 Escape up the Coquihalla, up to 8 per cent grade at 50-55 MPH. If I am slowing, I punch the gas pedal.
My RAV has a 3,500 lb tow capacity and the trailer loaded weighs maybe 3,200 lbs.
When I stomp on the gas, the engine sucks fuel and my mileage sucks too, but I never have to slow to 45mph.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

Name: Madeline
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydoc View Post

This year our intentions of camping did not pan out well, due to an injury I am recovering from.

We have a 2010 Lexus RX 3500 with towing package of 3500 lbs with which we want to tow a Casita 16'.

I want some feed back from casita16' owners (& others) what towing capacities vehicles are they towing their campers with ?

Thanks
My Honda 2006 Ridgeline truck has taken our Casita 17 Oregon to Key West Fl.,and the Texas Big Bend area. Plenty of pull, and no need for a ladder to climb in and out of the cab, plus the Ridgeline truck has a trunk in the bed for extra gear. Love, it.
Madelinecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
We pull a Scamp 16 Deluxe with a 2006 Honda Pilot 2WD 3.5L V6 having the factory tow package (2" receiver/transmission & power steering cooler). Two weeks ago we finished a 4659 mile trip some through the CO Rockies. The Pilot has a 3500 tow capacity with a tongue cap of 450#. We had no problems, but consult your manual.
Ray R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
We towed our Casita 17' SD with a Honda Pilot, 3500 lb towing capacity for a year before we purchased a Nissan Frontier for towing. Took a trip from Missouri to Georgia with no problems, although we took hills at around 50 mph in parts of Tennessee. We were careful to keep weight down and never traveled with a full water tank. We also use (and highly recommend) a sway bar. We switched to the Frontier for storing some items we did not want enclosed in our vehicle as well as feeling a little heavier vehicle with more towing power would be better for trips to the Rockies. Also the SD tongue weight was getting close to the Honda's limit, but with the 16' that may not be an issue.
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Raj, it doesn't look like there's anyone out there with the exact combination you're looking at, a Lexus RX350 coupled with a Casita 16D, so you may have to go by the numbers.

I checked the data in the "Trailer Weights in the Real World" spreadsheet. There are only two Casita 16Ds listed. One weighed in at 2820 and the other at 3260, which is a pretty wide spread. Both are within the tow rating of your vehicle, but the second is getting uncomfortably close if you find yourself towing in high-demand conditions: high altitude, hot temperatures, steep grades, headwinds. I think as long as you pack reasonably and travel with empty tanks you will be fine. Just don't expect to blast up mountains at full speed. Actually I think it will make a very comfortable rig!

I did notice both the trailers in the database carried less than 10% tongue weight. That would be something to check once you load it up the first time. Too light (10-12% is recommended), and sway could be an issue when a large bus passes or a sudden wind gust hits you from the side. A sway bar would be a good additional safety measure.

I have read from other owners of Toyota products that the rear suspension can be fairly soft. If you find the tongue weight causes the rear end to sag enough to be a problem, adding air bags is one solution. And I don't know... your Lexus may already have a self-leveling suspension.

I tow a smaller trailer with a 3500# rated Honda Pilot, but I have found ratings to be only a rough guide to real world performance, so I hesitate to make comparisons between different manufacturers simply based on a tow rating. From my own experience with my 3500# rated vehicle, I would go with the somewhat lighter Scamp 16. But I understand that's a Chevy/Ford thing and everyone has their preferences. I know that I would not consider the significantly heavier Casita 17D with my current vehicle, as much of my towing includes high-demand conditions.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Your Lexis with 270 Horsepower 3.5 V6 should do the job well except on the most extreme hills you may have to down shift some with a fully loaded trailer. Very similar to the 2001 250 HP Pathfinder I use to tow with.

Your trailer capacity depends on whether or not the Lexis came with a towing package from the factory. I looked up your owner's manual and it is very detailed in what you need. Worth the time to sit down and read it.

3500 lbs comes only with the factory tow package. It also sets the tongue weight max at 350 lbs. Trailer over 2000 lbs must have a anti sway bar.

If your Lexis didn't come with a factory tow package the manufacturer limits the tow capacity to 2000 Lbs.

See pages 256-268 in your owner's manual.
If you don't have an owners manual here is a link to a pdf online.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...f/OM48765U.pdf
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #9

Name: Raj
Trailer: Escape Trailer - SOLD
Florida
Thanks for lots of informative replies, I appreciate each of them.

Yes, our 2010 Lexus RX 3500 comes with a Tow Package allowing to tow 3500 lbs.

It sounds as a GO for a 16' Casita, & I have to look again at packing dynamics with a 16 as they are different than a 17' due to the axle being more in the mid line of the Trailer, looking at it from the side.

Now the search starts for a 16' which are not as many & readily available as the 17s.

If I hit too many road blocks in my search, I might just talk my wife into changing her RX 350 for a SUV with a 5000 lbs Towing capacity ( which I realize may be harder than finding a 16') and then a 17' Casita will be in our plans
I will show her something like a Acura MDX, I know she will not want to be seen in a Truck. Life is complicated, my friends

Thanks again
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
You can go a tinge lighter on a trailer, like a 16' Scamp. Advantage is a 6' 3" interior height. A little cheaper new then a Casita. Then your tow will be fine, but casitas are a little better quality. The Scamps do last long just like a Casita though. Good Luck. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
You can go a tinge lighter on a trailer, like a 16' Scamp. Advantage is a 6' 3" interior height. A little cheaper new then a Casita. Then your tow will be fine, but casitas are a little better quality. The Scamps do last long just like a Casita though. Good Luck. Carl
"A tinge" could be as much as 400 pounds lighter, based on the (admittedly limited) information in the "Trailer Weights" database.

I've never measured a Scamp 16, but I can't seem to get much more that 6'1.5" in my post-fire Scamp 13, which also specs at 6'3". Still better than the 5'10" or so in a Casita 16. Scamp must have measured before they installed carpet and headliner...LOL

Since you are looking for a used trailer, I agree with Carl it might be worth adding Scamp to your short list, Raj, unless you particularly want the Liberty layout. Scamp offers roof AC, which would probably do a better job of cooling in your hot, humid climate. Either would get you started with your current tug, and either would have a good resale value if you later decide to upgrade after gaining some experience.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Hi Raj.
We towed a Casita 16 for a year with our Honda CRV. Tongue weight was 260 and axle weight about 2600 lbs.

Norm

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydoc View Post

Thanks

Another thought.. Before spending the money on a trailer, I would try camping. I expect there are campgrounds in your area that have Yurts or cabins. It's a whole lot cheaper to camp that way and discover it's not for than the cost and maintenance of a trailer. Camping isn't for everybody.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #14

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Another thought.. Before spending the money on a trailer, I would try camping. I expect there are campgrounds in your area that have Yurts or cabins. It's a whole lot cheaper to camp that way and discover it's not for than the cost and maintenance of a trailer. Camping isn't for everybody.
I think this is a good idea, but it isn't really comparable. One of the things that I love about the trailer is being able to have most stuff ready to go, just pack personal items and food. It also feels like home wherever it is. A yurt will tell you if you like spending time at campgrounds, but so would a tent (minus the comfortable bed.) Still a good idea to either rent for a weekend and try it out or try out via a yurt or cabin! Then if you like it "but..." You can consider whether the buts would be fixed by having your own trailer.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #15

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Delux 17
Arizona
Talking Close but not a good story

I had the 2010 RX450, which had a tow capacity of 2000lbs. Needless to say, we had to sell it in order to tow our 2013 SD 17. We bought a 2016 Highlander XLE AWD, because we are dyed in the wool Toyotians? The folks we bought our Cassita from towed it using a RAV and later traded up to a Honda. My spouse also made the comment that she didn't want to show up at a campground driving a Lexus that would put a target on us!
The Vance Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita, 2002 Liberty Deluxe
California
Registry
From Glenn Baglo

"Refer to your Highlander manual. I tow with a Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport and following instruction in the manual, I tow in 4 ( not 4D or overdrive ).
I tow my 17 Escape up the Coquihalla, up to 8 per cent grade at 50-55 MPH. If I am slowing, I punch the gas pedal.
My RAV has a 3,500 lb tow capacity and the trailer loaded weighs maybe 3,200 lbs.
When I stomp on the gas, the engine sucks fuel and my mileage sucks too, but I never have to slow to 45mph. "

So, you know nothing about my car or towing capacity yet you feel compelled to comment on my driving instead of staying on the original topic. Perhaps you should read my manual. The grade you are talking about, my car is able to do easier then your car. The grades that slow me down to 45 are the grades that are so steep my car shifts all the way down to second gear. I could red line the engine and still do 65 but I am not inclined to stress the engine that much. I try to stay around 4K RPMs. My point to you is, to stay on topic and resist talking about things you know nothing about.
Jim er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I tow a 1980 Bigfoot with a 2011 Toyota Sienna minivan. The Bigfoot weighs 2800 lbs. with 340 lb. hitch weight (loaded to travel). The Toyota has a 3,500 lb tow capacity, 3.5L V6, 266 hp. I've towed from home (DFW) to OR, SD, MN, OH, FL, CO and back with zero problems. I wish the gas mileage were better but a 8' x8' box behind the van is a lot to move through the air. I think you will be happy with the Casita 16' & Lexus combo. Posted photo is with my 2006 Sienna.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/registry/3004/

Tags
casita