Boler flat top - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2008, 11:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 1968 Flat top Boler (serial # 92)
I have a '68 boler with a flat top--one of the first hundred made in Winnipeg, early serial number. I am wondering how many of the first hundred still exist, maybe start a registry. There are a number of oddities such as the door hinges ,tail lights and side marker location. This unit is all original having been locked away for years. If you have a flat top and would like to compare please reply.
sidney lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
We NEED pics.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
Hi Sidney, great to hear about another flat roof boler. I was thinking about compiling info. on our flat roof Bolers as well. I recently posted about my new to me trailer (page 3 in the General Chat section - Boler #99 - 1969 flat roof)

I haven't had time to start compiling all the info I've found so far, but here's a quick overview.

The only historical info. I can find comes from one or two articles including an interview with Ray Olecko, these can be found on the Bolerama website.

I haven't found the VIN number stamped on my Boler's frame yet, but my Ontario Vehicle Registration lists it as year 1969, VIN # 099. My Boler does not have any insulation. I read somewhere that the first 40 were sold without insulation but then recalled. Either my Boler is not really #99 or that number is not accurate.

Here is some information from the replies of my original post:

Alf S. mentioned that the first batch were re-called to install the ensolite insulation and that's when the metal roof vents first appeared.

James Kent posted photos of a flat roofed Boler.

Kurt in BC listed photos of another flat roof Boler and some very useful info. about the early bolers, including where he found his serial number stamped on his frame. He has a 1970, #283. He has great photos and documentation of his Boler restoration on his website. His roof is raised, but many other details seem the same as the flat roofed ones.

These two FGRV users also have flat roofed Bolers:

Mooney (Janet) posted a reply to my original post stating that she has Boler #92. I haven't emailed her for photos.

Jane V recently posted her 1968 Boler in the For Sale section. She says her Boler was #99 off the production line. I emailed her for photos and she replied with some great high res photos, looks like it still has the original gloss white gelcoat finish. It has ensolite insulation and it looks like there is no seam tape. It has a front window cover which looks original - I didn't think the covers appeared until much later. They found their serial number on the frame, I haven't asked yet about their registration paper. It will be interesting if I can find a number stamped on my frame - are there duplicate VIN numbers? or is my registration document wrong?

So, the only flat roof Boler owners I've found so far are FGRV users:
Mooney, Jane V, sidney lewis and myself, Kevin H.

We're having internet connection troubles right now and I am busy with house renovations but definitely would like to keep in touch and gather info. on our rare Bolers.

thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-27-2008, 01:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 1968 Flat top Boler (serial # 92)
: Hi Kevin nice to hear from you my unit is ser# 92, I purchased it from Janet last week. It is in very good original condition having been in dry storage for some time and I just have to give it a good cleaning and it will be ready for the 'glass egg' meet in fort langley in sept. This one also has no insulation, just raw fibre glass walls and very strange door hinges that appear to be original to the unit. The running lights are odd also, there are only two amber lights,one one each side of the unit right in the centre just below the belly band. No red lights at side rear,something like the scotsmans idea when buying spurs-he buys one only-if one side of the horse goes the other will also.I have owned a number of bolers including a 15 foot but this one is the most interesting and will probably be a keeper. I have been told that there is another of the one hundred in Prince George owned by a man named Neil but I have no other info,maybe he will see these posts. Sorry that I can't post pics, I am not familiar enough with computers but I'm learning. Let's keep in touch.
sidney lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Hi Sidney, great to hear about another flat roof boler. I was thinking about compiling info. on our flat roof Bolers as well. I recently posted about my new to me trailer (page 3 in the General Chat section - Boler #99 - 1969 flat roof)

I haven't had time to start compiling all the info I've found so far, but here's a quick overview.

The only historical info. I can find comes from one or two articles including an interview with Ray Olecko, these can be found on the Bolerama website.
thanks,
Kevin
Kevin, perhaps you'd like to add your found information to this topic:
Egg History- Boler descendants, Can you fill in the Blanks? Contrary to the topic title, there's quite a bit of Boler history... along with the descendants.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Three of you have Bolers with pre 100 serial numbers?
cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
Just found what looks like another flat roof Boler listed on Saskatoon Kijiji. I can't tell for sure if the roof is flat from their photo, but it definitely has the early stamped steel hinges we have. Haven't had time to call him but I've emailed him regarding his serial number.

Not sure if we can post links here, but try this, otherwise search Saskatoon Kijiji for the ad and pics.

Kevin

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=5...ifyMe=unchecked
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler
Vin 068

I haven't actually looked for the VIN number yet, but my Ontario Vehicle Registration lists it as year 1969, VIN #068.
Mine doesn't have any insulation either ...
Erin F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #9

Name: Tim & Gin
Trailer: boler
Manitoba
'68 boler?

Hi, we believe we may have a '68 boler too!

We are owners of what was registered as a '71, however after spending time at a Manitoba Rally and speaking with other and former owners of bolers who advertised on Kijiji, plus someone who worked at the boler plant in Winnipeg we're coming to the conclusion that the '71 was incorrectly registered.

We're still in the process of trying to locate the VIN having checked the inside of the closet, tongue and a few other places but not the frame but every other feature it has suggests it is a '68.

-Flat roof
-Flush mount tail lights
-Closed steel metal tongue

Any other suggestions to help us solve our puzzle would be great.
tvbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #10

Name: shelley
Trailer: Boler 1968
Alberta
Flat top

I have a 1968 serial number 022, the serial number is stamped to the left of the propane tank on top of the frame very hard to see. It had stamped hinges but they were in terrible shape so I have replaced them (scamp). It has no running lights (marker lights) (will be LED from Princess Auto) Tail lights will be replaced with surface mount LED again Princess Auto. There was/is no ensolite. The benches were wooden, I changed the floor plan and redid them in wood. The roof vent is just to the right and in front of the stove, which was not a coleman. I think I recorded the brand name somewhere. These stoves have not been in production for a number of years. There were no water reservoirs in it but I will be putting two in. It is wired only for 110v (3 lights and one plug in) with the old style 30 amp plug but the extension cord came with it Will be solar 12v/110v There was no heater. The dry weight before I started renovations was 1300 lbs. (propane tank removed and no battery). I doubt it was assembled in a factory as the nuts, bolts and screws were not all matching for the same components, lots of wooden spacers were used to get things to fit together correctly There was almost no mold or mildew in the entire trailer.
piries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #11

Name: Suvi
British Columbia
I am THRILLED to have located this thread. THRILLED (did I say that already?). Last year I took possession of my grandpa's flat top - VIN#049 according to the registration. However, the registration also says it's a 1969. So I am assuming that based on the VIN, I have one of the original 100. Insulation - not sure. I know my grandpa did his own system using styrofoam, which, for the time being, I have re-purposed until such a day that I can afford to do a real complete restoration job. Works well for BC (covered now with hull lining). Not sure if my grandpa didn't go for the recall and get it insulated?... seems to be just fiberglass under the insulating that he did. It does have a little vent, though. Anyhow - I digress. So I've got a 68, right? Not a 69?

I'm at the NOG in a couple weeks in Oregon. If any of you are there, I would love to discuss. Still haven't located VIN on the actual trailer.

Tried attaching a photo but it didn't work for some reason.
sooveroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #12

Alberta
boler flat top :)

My original vin #022 was located on the door side, on top of the steel tongue, about 6 inches in front of the fiberglass I scrubbed the area with vinegar and baking soda so that it would show up better have fun mine did not go for the ensolite recall either and I am glad. I will be spray gluing that silver insulation, then spray gluing fabric
Old 04-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #13

British Columbia
Found it! I'm gonna clean mine up a bit too. Attaching a couple photos for your interest. Boler #049 is alive and well.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428878332.042628.jpg   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428878415.664851.jpg  

Old 04-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #14

Name: Stephanie
Trailer: 1969 Boler
Saskatchewan

We purchased a "'68" flat top Boler off of Saskatoon's Kijiji yesterday. (I say '68 because that's what the ad said and the registration claims same.) We're absolutely in love with it and have started working on it today.

The ad claimed it was of the original 40 that got recalled to have the insolation put in... However, we cleaned up the trailer and found 153 stamped in under the paint. (See pictures). There was insolation on the ceiling being held up by silicon... but it was definitely extremely itchy yellow fiber glass insolation.

So... I'm pretty sure she's a flat top Boler. (Photos) but possibly not on the original trailer. Please help us figure out what we've purchased!

Thanks!
Steph
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #15

British Columbia
Oh! Interesting. And gorgeous. I would say a flat top, which would make it a '68 but there Are definitely people on this forum that know better than I do about these things. If it WAS 153, you would be in a '69 I think? Maybe someone else knows. Difference from mine: my vent is on the other side of the kitchenette - closer to front, not back. And I don't have the window in the kitchen. Maybe some online research would tell you what year they added the kitchen window? In any case, welcome to the club! Always excited to have new additions!!

Old 04-13-2015, 04:07 AM   #16

Alberta
It is a very nice boler, that is for sure mine also has the vent towards the front and no galley window. I don't think it ever had the electrical stamp. I did not have much fiberglass on the interior, the benches (front and back were 3/4 inch plywood) I have and will not be restoring to original at any rate, so will/do have some parts parts Facebook is a great resource as well a good many knowledgeable loving people
Old 04-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #17

Name: Stephanie
Trailer: 1969 Boler
Saskatchewan
Thanks for the reply guys. Very interesting - I'll definitely have to get my research on!

Neither of us has Facebook. I may have to abduct a co-workers account to do some education snooping though
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #18

Name: Cindy
Trailer: Boler #051 Flat Roof - Registered '69 #081
British Columbia
Registry
I'm glad I found this thread.

I also have a flat roof boler that I inherited from my grandparents. From what I do know, my grandparents were the 2nd owners, it was built with no insulation and the number (along the tongue frame) shows 081. There are no other numbers anywhere else inside or outside of the boler.

Does anyone know if the serial numbers went back to 001 in 1969?

Any feedback helps

Thanks,
Cindy
garagesaleaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #19

British Columbia
Cindy, if you have a a flat top, you have a 1968 and one of the first hundred off the line. They stopped the flat top mould after the first 100. So your number 81 is just that - the 81st ever.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #20

Name: Cindy
Trailer: Boler #051 Flat Roof - Registered '69 #081
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks for the reply Sooveroo! Oh how exciting I'll try and upload pics of it this weekend. I'm still navigating my way through this site.

Cindy
garagesaleaddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler